• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Meanwhile as the world continues to go mad.

I read that quickly and thought it said it was banning the clap as it is bad for personal reasons. :Smile:

As someone that only graduated from university a couple of years ago I can tell you that 99% of students do not care about student politics at all, most people just vote for whoever pestered them on the way to lectures during election month and then go back to not caring. As a result the only people that run are people that are far too obsessed with changing things that don't need changing. If they try getting student societies to implement this then most will say no and then laugh about it at the pub.

Not to mention the Kent uni that has banned cowboy and indian fancy dress at their event as "it causes offence"!!!

Not to mention the Kent uni that has banned cowboy and indian fancy dress at their event as "it causes offence"!!!

Yes apparently native Americans might take offence. Wouldn’t want to ruffle any feathers.

"Hi, I’m Emily. I’m currently studying astrophysics and running for Halls Officer is all part of my plan to be the first human on Mars "

I for one sincerely hope that she succeeds in making it on this one way journey....:Facepalm:

She apologised so it's a non-story but don't let that stop you getting all gammon over it.

She apologised so it's a non-story but don't let that stop you getting all gammon over it.

On a point of order here, I'm not sure how apologising makes something a non-story, or not worthy of criticism or discussion.

But as for "getting all gammon over it", there's an 'interesting' article on that here that's perfect for the world gone mad thread.

On a point of order here, I'm not sure how apologising makes something a non-story, or not worthy of criticism or discussion.

But as for "getting all gammon over it", there's an 'interesting' article on that here that's perfect for the world gone mad thread.

I'm sure we're all guilty of saying & doing stupid things when we were young, however there wasn't social media to spread it out to the entire world.

It's amazing what a U-Turn can do on a "mark my words promise"....to an out & out public apology can bring on, especially when within 24 hours, nearly 12,000 people have already signed a petition to have her removed from her £20,000 a year position as president of the Southampton uni's student union.

For anyone that cares, the petition is here:

https://www.change.org/p/southampto...mpton-student-union-to-stand-down-immediately

Last edited:
Same as Afua Hirsch and her campaign to remove Nelsons Column. She claimed, in ignorance, the black man depicted on the plaque was a slave. When in fact he was an armed British sailor.

Nelsons navy was very multicultural and one of the few places black people were not only free but could be promoted as high as any white man.

I'm surprised at your comments MK.

Tell me this...

Why should this melt destroy an important part of our history just to please some silly feminine millennial crowd that doesn't like it because it doesn't include any women or other people of ethnic origin?.... especially at this time of year, in order to get some fame.

What next, should we burn all other artwork from British artists?..say Turner and Constable etc, that didn't include women or non white people?

I would call her a traitor to our nation, but i can't, as it turns out she is a yank and the daughter of a multi millionaire.

Tell me this...

Why should this melt destroy an important part of our history just to please some silly feminine millennial crowd that doesn't like it because it doesn't include any women or other people of ethnic origin?.... especially at this time of year, in order to get some fame.

What next, should we burn all other artwork from British artists?..say Turner and Constable etc, that didn't include women or non white people?

I would call her a traitor to our nation, but i can't, as it turns out she is a yank and the daughter of a multi millionaire.

I think her argument is that our history is already being destroyed as the role of women (and Indian forces) in the Great War is being written (drawn/sculptured?) out.

I suspect this is all a publicity stunt to get people talking and thinking about it and she knows it is not going to get destroyed so when you react to it you are fueling that publicity and giving her what she wants.

I suspect "her argument" was realised as a display of her ignorance - hence the removal of the (offensive, in the eyes of some/most) tweet. Let's hope she's learnt from it and moves on.

Tell me this...

I'm not saying she should. I don't agree with her original comments at all, but what I did say is that she acknowledged that she made a mistake and apologised.

Back