• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Mediums and Psycics.

Options

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
Where do you stand?

The Mrs is out at the moment with one of my old work mates (a woman I should add) and our respective daughters.

Now this girl I used to work with used to go to a medium all the time so she could speak to her dead grandparents and get guidance. She swears by it. One her last visit she tells my wife that she was dealt the divorce card too and she now believes that her and her husband are not going to end up together.

I tried to tell her at the time that mediums basically throw a lot of stuff at you in a short space of time, play percentages and basically are compete frauds that should not be trusted.

She got a bit upset at this (bit silly on my part to say it) and swears by them.

Funny enough Derrin Brown did a show on them in the week and basically showed the techiques they used. Really work a watch if you have some time to kill on 4catchup.

Basically as I have always told the wife they just tell you general things and anything specific is either something really hard to prove or disprove. In Derrins show he basically showed them to be total frauds.

I am glad to say my Mrs has now swung to the its **** theory.

I have no issues with people getting some comfort from a loss of a loved one but I do think its wrong when they tell people they are going to be divorced as it puts bad ideas into there head.

Personally I would like all mediums to be jailed for fraud? Where do you stand?

Im with you DTS . Over the years i visited a few , and for me none have done anything other then cold reading and knowledge of body reading . If you want to try it yourself go to a charity one , say only and yes and no to their questions and see what happnes.

On the other hand i am aware of very good people who could be deemed as psyches however 1) They don;t advertise you either know them or don't 2) the don't charge 3) If you keep coming back more then say once a year , they tell you to sod off and life your own life or seek professional psychiatric help.

If they work as the old social wise women i have no problems , the Derek Acuras and is ilk can bugger off (as can Darren Brown for my mind as well as far as I'm aware his never contacted any of the major occult groups for his investigations (Masons's IOT , OTO Golden Dawn etc!)

Interesting point actually. Surely they are misadvertising / misrepresenting what they do when they claim they are talking to the dead and taking money for that.

If I sold bottled water and advertised it as being blessed by the baby jesus surely I wouldn't be allowed to?

Utter *****. Cold reading can be taught in 30 mins. Too many gullable people out there wanting to hear good news about life after death and that their dead loved are "happy".

Jailed? Maybe people should just wise up a bit.

Interesting point actually. Surely they are misadvertising / misrepresenting what they do when they claim they are talking to the dead and taking money for that.

If I sold bottled water and advertised it as being blessed by the baby jesus surely I wouldn't be allowed to?

You are correct and the law was changed ... which is why on their posters etc they always put for entertainment purposes only.

I went to one recently in Hullbridge ... a few weeks after my Dad died , as if there was anything to it that maybe a condition. Every person round bme was chosen , mind you my permanent scowl and close observation of what the "reader" was saying probably put them off ;) He was **** .

As MK say's learn basic psycological skill's . If you want to see a tarot reader get yourself a pack do it youself (just dont use it to predict the future (and id point you towards anything by Lon Milo Du Quette ;) ) . OR go for regular psychological checkups and learn about yourself.

Here's a guarantee. You could give the names of five people I've never met or heard of before, and I could put a reading into an envelope for you to pass onto them, and I would be between 60-80% accurate in eveything I say about them. The more gullible of them would then believe what I said their future would hold.

The difference is I don't charge £30 a pop.

Almost certainly b.s., but I would never completely rule out something about which I know nothing.

Matt

My favourite psuedo science theory is that as the human brain is a transceiver (7hz-8hz) , that some people pick up certain types of information , the brain gives them symbols to process it with and they can genuinely get information from other people coupled with the usual sensory information . But hey who knows , genetic freaks or observant charlatans , maybe they both exisit ??

I told my careers guidance counsellor I wanted to be a psychic, he told me I shouldnt as there no future in it.

Did anyone see the one that 'predicted' the election results via the star signs. She said that Torys would get more than last time and Labour would get less ....... therefore it must be true.

I personally have a very open mind about this sort of thing and whilst the logic part of my brain says to me "when you are gone-you are gone" I cannot sometimes wonder whether this is another force out there.

I am not a full believer but neither do I believe in coincidence but sometimes you have to wonder why things happen and occasionally you have to ask yourself, "did I get some help"

My mother (who passed away 18 months ago aged 65) was a psychic and a bloody good one at that. She never advertised her gift and was very accurate with some things she told people.

I personally have a very open mind about this sort of thing and whilst the logic part of my brain says to me "when you are gone-you are gone" I cannot sometimes wonder whether this is another force out there.

I am not a full believer but neither do I believe in coincidence but sometimes you have to wonder why things happen and occasionally you have to ask yourself, "did I get some help"

My mother (who passed away 18 months ago aged 65) was a psychic and a bloody good one at that. She never advertised her gift and was very accurate with some things she told people.

I'm with Tinks, I'm not entirely sure about mediums but I do believe in 6th sense and psychic ability. My preference is for Tarot to be honest, but that is entirely down to interpretation. I've known too many people have very accurate Tarot readings to discount it, I also think there's something in palmistry - but, in both cases there are those who have less psychic ability than my hamster!

Absolute crock of ****, shysters aiming to make money off the gullible and ill advised.

My gran swears by them, though... When I was younger, she went to see a particular clarevoyant that she "trusted" and took a picture of me and my brother. She started with "He's a sporty boy" (Picture of me in full football kit) and intimated that I'd pick up a nasty injury through football (Another mundane comment).

A week later, whilst riding my bike, I got clipped by a car. My gran was frantic, saying that the clarevoyant saw all this coming.

Theres always one they say.......yes its me, total beleiver. I'm very much someone who does'nt suffer fools gladly but I have had some truly unbeleivable experiences when it comes to " Mediums" and "Psychics". Im; not into all this fortune teller B******s or the girls that read your palm or cards for a tenner whilst shoving a bit of lucky heather in your hand for good luck, but actual proper mediums who help people(without charging) to speak to people who have passed on.
Your all probably p*****g yourselfs laughing but what I will say to you is" Do you think that this is it? Do you think that when you die thats it or like me, can accept that maybe, this is'nt it and life does go on but in a different way. I's that so hard to contemplate? I have been told very personal things and stuff that only I would Know, by mediums who have never met me or Know anything about me, I just dont accept its coincidental.

I'm with Tinks, I'm not entirely sure about mediums but I do believe in 6th sense and psychic ability. My preference is for Tarot to be honest, but that is entirely down to interpretation. I've known too many people have very accurate Tarot readings to discount it, I also think there's something in palmistry - but, in both cases there are those who have less psychic ability than my hamster!

I've done Tarot and can assure you that it's a great example of telling someone what they want to hear. The meanings of the cards are so open to interpretation that any "reading" can mean almost anything.

As for being "psychic", I've been able to predict the future before*, and it's nothing to do with voices from beyond (just because someone's dead, why should they know the future anyway?) The brain is a great calculator, give it enough data and it'll tell you some quite amazing things. We generally don't use the brains full potential consciously, but without thinking we're calculating millions of things a day. If the brain, even sub consciously, picks up enough data it can predict how events will be affected (no event is truly random, it's just that the variables are too plentiful for the conscious mind)

*no, I don't know the lottery numbers. They're not 100% random, but there are far too many variables that we can't possibly know each of which will affect the outcome to a relatively large extent.

Back