• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
Many of you will have seen this story on the official site: It's a Knockout.

This is a competition based on the old TV series, to take place on Meet the Blues Day at Boots 'n Laces - with the winning team being crowned MTBD Champions 2006.

Here at SZ.com we're thinking of entering a team, if enough people are interested. There isnt a penny in it for us, but we suspect that not many Zoners would get the opportunity to take part unless some kind of syndicate - e.g. the Zone - could club together some interest.

SUFC have set the cost at £500 per team (+ VAT, thus £587.50 in total) so if we get a team of ten together it'll cost a shade under £60 each. Half of that money goes to SUFC's Centre of Excellence.

We will only be able to enter a team if 10 hardy souls fancy a bit of fun in the sun on the day - if we dont get that many we wont be able to enter.

So, if you'd like to take part please PM myself, Spaceman Spiff, Leeboy, Matt the Shrimp and mcnasty to register your interest.

Cheers,

James/Uxbridge Shrimper

Whilst any money going into the COE coffers is welcome £500 per team strikes me as a tad expensive. I feel this planned even is not aimed at the likes of you and me ie, general punters making up a team but more likely it's aimed at the corperate market, Insureandgo, RBS etc etc.

I very much doubt that on the day you will see more than four teams and pound to a pinch of salt they will all be corperate, made up of employees of the companies and not nessesarily SUFC supporters/fans.

Shame, but there you have it.

So people who are in Corporates are not going to be Southend fans??
rock.gif

Southend United is there to make money, if you want it enough you will pay it. After all this goes to helping the club move forward.

I had the priviledge to play on the hallowed turf with SZFC and there was enough teams there consisting of Shrimpers who were not worried about the cost to enter the competition.

Throughout my 20 years of supporting the mighty blues I have been invited to a number of corperate boxes at Roots Hall and every time, without exception, many of the people present in those boxes were their because of the invite by their company and because it was a freebie. Not because they were avid Blues supporters. Some members of various corperations that support the Blues in some way are undoubtedly supporters and get to see them whenever they can but I do feel that £500.00 per ten man team is on the expensive side when you consider that for many there are other things Blues related that their hard earned has been allocated to (seaso's, shirts, friendly fixture tickets etc).

I just can't see many individuals getting together a ten man team and stumping up the dosh (SZFC excluded).

You mentioned many Shrimpers who were not worried about the cost of entering a competition to play football at Roots Hall. I don't doubt that for one minute but playing football on the hallowed turf of SUFC is a whole lot different to entering an It's a Knockout competition on a training ground.

I'd love to be proved wrong and see 10 teams of 10, all supporters, made up of mates and friends that have got together to do their bit to support the Blues but alas, I feel that won't be the case.

stop being so god damn righteous and cynical. its a good way for the club to raise money and it,ll be free to watch . Jeez .

[b said:
Quote[/b] (prittlewellshrimper @ July 08 2006,17:05)]stop being so god damn righteous and cynical. its a good way for the club to raise money and it,ll be free to watch . Jeez .
Did i say it wasn't a good way to raise money for the club? err no! In fact in my first post I welcome any way in which money can be brought into the club.

And in what way exactly are my comments righteous? How in the hell do my comments make me any better than any other Blues supporter or anyone else that pay's their money and takes part in the competition.
Righteous: angelic, blameless, charitable, commendable, conscientious, creditable, deserving, devoted, devout, dutiful, equitable, ethical, exemplary, fair, faithful, godlike, guiltless, holy, honest, honorable, impartial, innocent, irreproachable, just, laudable, law-abiding, matchless, meritorious, etc etc

Did I at any point in my posts say it won't be fun to watch? again no!

The fact remains, like it or not, the best way for any company to raise money is to set their sights at the corperate level. That's life and business I'm afraid and Southend United are no different in that respect. If that's cynical to point this out on what is an open forum then yes, I'm an old cynic.

Never mind, worse things happen at sea
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcnasty @ July 08 2006,19:34)]So I take it that no-one wants to play .
If SZ are getting a team of 10 together then its a brilliant idea and will go some way to proving to some extent that my previous comments on this topic are a complete and utter load of bo$$oc$s
laugh.gif

Go on people, prove me wrong and shut this self righteous old cynic up
wink.gif

Why do people insist to always start a response with I have supported the club for so long, as if this makes one iota of difference to their opinion?
rock.gif

My opinion is that the club should always try to make money where feasible and not to the detriment of the fan base. Of course your not going to get 10 teams of fanitical Shrimpers, but if you get one or two than that is a good thing.

Without doubt this event is aimed at Corporates as was the Football event. But at least the club are giving Joe Public a chance to enter by publishing to the mass media. And why should not local companies be given a chance to handover more money to the club whilst giving their staff a day out? If by this we get more supporters then is that not a good thing.

Some clubs at this level and beyond tend to only invite Corporates for such an event and Joe Public is not informed.

P.S

If you going to use a dictionary entry to explain righteous perhaps you will check out corporate out as it is not corperate.
wink.gif

So we are in agreement then
rock.gif
We agree it is aimed more at the CORPORATE punter than us joe publics. And I think, if you read it in context, I refered to my time supporting The Blues to help explain my comments about my observations of corpOrate events and the club. It doesn't and didn't make any difference to the validity of my opinion.

There always has to be a balance between pricing any events such as this that raise cash for the club. A balence between the corpOrate clients and the majority of the supporter base such as you and I.
I just feel that perhaps this event could have been priced lower to encourage more of us joe publics to take part. The MTBD is after all arranged for us the supporters. (albeit in 2nd place to the clubs coffers)

I dare say the club done there homework on this one
rock.gif
8 teams of lets say £250/£300 a pop or 4, possibly 5 @ £500...we'll see.

PS. The dictionary was used not as a spell check (corperate/corporate) but more to point out the adjective had no reasoning as far as my comments were concerned
wink.gif

Is an "Its a Knockout" type event a bit of a risk to the players?. We are nearing our most important season for a decade and we wanna play silly kids games and risk injuries to key players. I'm sure you wouldn't get Premiersh!te clubs risking their players like this. Seems like madness to me.
mad.gif

Oh, i assumed there was! oops!!

Even less reason to chuck £50 a head in to participate then!!

Even if they were, I dont think bouncy castles and inflatable assault courses are particularly hazardous....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jam_Man @ July 12 2006,12:08)]Even if they were, I dont think bouncy castles and inflatable assault courses are particularly hazardous....
They are if I land on top of you !
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back