• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Supporters Group News Meeting with Ron 15th

Generating revenue for whom?

Hint: not SUFC.
agreed, if Ron had any plan to release rental/sale income from houses to sustain the club, he would have been shouting that from the roof top.

the plan is to build the stadium out of profit, (well three sides) then leave us in the same situation we are in now... a football club that doesn't own its main asset. All you then need is RM to sell to a Coventry city type consortium and thats our lot..

Well my understanding is he (Ron) has said that there would be rental streams to the club from housing units incorporated into the stadium. Of course you can say he is not telling the truth. That's fine. But it does highlight the difficulty then in getting anywhere with the debate. People will believe what they want to believe until such time as it all happens.

Until then as Rigsby says we may be better served worrying about the football starting with the Bolton game on Sat.

agreed, if Ron had any plan to release rental/sale income from houses to sustain the club, he would have been shouting that from the roof top.

the plan is to build the stadium out of profit, (well three sides) then leave us in the same situation we are in now... a football club that doesn't own its main asset. All you then need is RM to sell to a Coventry city type consortium and thats our lot..

Ron isn't the type to shout from roof tops. However he has stated to those of us capable of listening that thats exactly what he intends to do.

You don't have to believe him but again its a fact that he has stated he intends to make a certain amount of the flats that overlook the pitch a gift to the club. Even if only players get to use them it will be a great asset.

Guess there won't be a covenant on the new stadium either.

With regards to the new stadium, just build the bloudy thing! Most of the other efl clubs have moved on and built new stadia...... my only hope its 4 sides instead of 3! roots hall is now at the stage where it should be consigned to the history books...... no more excuses!

If it was THAT easy, we would've built it by now, and we would be playing football in it. However, it's part of a bigger project on two different sites, and has involved a lot of different factors and a lot of different parties being involved in the project. Yes, it's frustrating, but it's also good to hear that progress has, and is continuing to be made... I think we all know that we do need to move to a ground with modern facilities for a multitude of reasons, but as I always think whenever the subject of the new ground is brought up... "I'll believe it when I see it".

I am afraid this is not at all realistic -

I am sure there is a conversation and recommendations but ...

If you re-read my quote again, you'll see that I was referencing that, in this situation, the decision to offer a contract to these free agents is a decision for the manager to make, and not the chairman... as the chairman has already given MM the green light to add to his squad, should he wish to do so.

If you re-read my quote again, you'll see that I was referencing that, in this situation, the decision to offer a contract to these free agents is a decision for the manager to make, and not the chairman... as the chairman has already given MM the green light to add to his squad, should he wish to do so.

okey dokey ... my point is that RM has is the power/money/signatory and MM can advise and suggest ...

the rest is blarney for public consumption

Well my understanding is he (Ron) has said that there would be rental streams to the club from housing units incorporated into the stadium. Of course you can say he is not telling the truth. That's fine. But it does highlight the difficulty then in getting anywhere with the debate. People will believe what they want to believe until such time as it all happens.

Until then as Rigsby says we may be better served worrying about the football starting with the Bolton game on Sat.
He has said this , and he has said it on more than one occasion.
I am not in the know, so I would only have read this in the echo or in the minutes of a Ron meeting on here.
Therefore .
if I have read it so have others on this thread, but for whatever reasons they have forgotten

I’ve said this before, it really is a shame we don’t have a “Ron quotes “ thread on here that runs forever so that when people say something it can immediately be fact checked.

Sorry too busy/lazy to do it myself

Ron isn't the type to shout from roof tops. However he has stated to those of us capable of listening that thats exactly what he intends to do.

You don't have to believe him but again its a fact that he has stated he intends to make a certain amount of the flats that overlook the pitch a gift to the club. Even if only players get to use them it will be a great asset.
Ok.... you
Know best

You are RM, and I claim my £10 ?

Probably not, but there should be. The Council could require it if they gave a toss

We don't know there may well be.

If we did end up with a chairman who thought, why don't I just run this club into the ground and grease a few council palms....After all they are not all football fans and under more government pressure for extra housing....We already have 800 nearly complete at FF, with no SUFC I could build on the footprint of the stadium....Then the Domes could go and we wont need the 800 space overflow car park. Rochford council might then see an good opportunity in allowing those empty pitches that were once the academy to be developed and solve their problem as well.

The only sure way to prevent that is by us fans being the covenant. If the council knew they would be swept from power at the next election by the SUFC Popular Peoples Front. Or the new owner would need a team of ten armed security to even enter the county of Essex.......That would be a start.

We should have teamed up with Bristol Rovers 15 years ago and blockaded Sainsbury's.....No shopper enters the car park of your local stores until you either start the stadium. Or pay us compensation for deliberately using us to stop your competition from opening stores in the town.

The people have always had the power, sadly they just don't now it......The last year is best example I could give.

I don't think you will ever get the full backing of the Peoples Front of SUFC or the Popular Front etc, until RM explains exactly how the new stadium will benefit Southend United Football Club and it's supporters (customers).

Ten years ago, under the ownership of former chairman George Reynolds, Division Three (now League Two) club Darlington FC (average crowd: 1,500) built a massive 25,000-seat stadium on the outskirts of town.

But the club went out of business eight years later and the reformed Darlington 1883 FC now play in the eighth tier of English football at a tiny stadium in a nearby town.

So who are the new tenants of the white elephant stadium? A local rugby union team, Mowden Park, which has an average crowd of 800.

So it perhaps could benefit Southend rugby club in the future ?

I know this might look like I'm changing sides and now agreeing with @kentblues but my argument applies both ways. Unless I've missed something, we simply don't know one way or the other.

I would argue that it doesn't look that way since Ron wants to maintain ownership of the stadium, but we don't know for sure.

Personally I think that, given the tens of millions he stands to make on this deal, then handing the stadium back to the club would be the correct thing to do. That said, I'm only seeing this from one side. I'd be interested in Ron's view as to why he should maintain ownership.

To those that attend these meetings, are there other important snippets of information that RM has divulged to you, that you are unable to speak about on a public forum ?

Back