• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RIP Mel, I remember him well. Didn't he score our goal once in 8 or 9 goal defeat?

That's sad news. I remember him as a ball winning midfielder, just the sort you needed when the going got tough. Not exactly a prolific goal scorer but when he did score it tended to be of the net ripping thunderbolt variety as I recall. Played at same time as Tony Beanland, Eddie May etc. I don't remember the goal in the heavy defeat but at my tender age I would have erased it from my memory.

If i reacall did he not score the winning goal away at Swindon in the FA Cup.The year when Swindon beat the Gooners in the League Cup at Wembley

Many moons ago, probably late 80s/early 90s, on an away trip to Cambridge we approached the city from the east and stopped off at a pub in a village just outside Cambridge (the Rose & Crown in Teversham). We were at the bar discussing the impending game when the landlord remarked, "I used to play for Southend".

It was Mel Slack, we had a nice chat and, for once, I didn't object to him putting shots over the bar.

RIP Mel,very sad.
Was he not a plumer as well?Done part time work...i think it was him who repaired my nans heating,a week or so after i was at my first ever Blues away game at Notts:co..may 68.
RIP

RIP Mel, I remember him well. Didn't he score our goal once in 8 or 9 goal defeat?
Mel scored our only goal in the 9-1 defeat at Brighton in November 1965, that season ended with us being relegated to Division 4 for the first time in our history.

If i reacall did he not score the winning goal away at Swindon in the FA Cup.The year when Swindon beat the Gooners in the League Cup at Wembley
Our goals at the Swindon F.A. Cup match were scored by Billy Best & Ian"Chico"Hamilton. However this match turned out to be Mel Slack's one and only appearance for the Blues in 1968-69 after Sammy McMillan had failed a late fitness test. Many fans who attended the game believed it to be Mel's finest match in a Blue shirt. "RIP SLACKY".

Sandy Anderson last month , now Mel Slack this month , Terrible , RIP .

Horrible news.

Mel was somehow one of those guys that you believed would never die.

He was a sort of Deegan but with a cracking shot.

Happy days.

RIP Mel.

So many of these players from the past seem to die relatively young, 72 is no age these days not least because I am only 9 years away from that age myself. RIP Mel.

Mel scored our only goal in the 9-1 defeat at Brighton in November 1965, that season ended with us being relegated to Division 4 for the first time in our history.

Our goals at the Swindon F.A. Cup match were scored by Billy Best & Ian"Chico"Hamilton. However this match turned out to be Mel Slack's one and only appearance for the Blues in 1968-69 after Sammy McMillan had failed a late fitness test. Many fans who attended the game believed it to be Mel's finest match in a Blue shirt. "RIP SLACKY"
One useless piece of information regarding Mel Slack that I forgot to add on my previous post was as follows-: When we played against Aldershot in our first season of Division Four in 1966-67, we played them away on Boxing Day losing by 5-2 then just 24 hours later("YES" the next day,Perish the thought) we then hammered Aldershot by 4-0, the goals were scored by
Eddie Firmani then No.4 Mel Slack, No.5 Eddie May, No.6 Tony Beanland. Not sure if this is some sort of Southend United record?, three goals scored by our half-back line(as they were known back in the day). Anyway "Rest in Peace Mel".

I remember the legendary journalist and ex-player Alf Smirk referring to Mel Slack as 'Nutty from the North' in his column in the Southend Standard. For those of you who are too young to remember or know, 'nutty slack' was a type of coal for domestic open fires in the days before clean air acts and before everyone had central heating. Mel hailed originally from County Durham.

I only saw Mel Slack play a dozen or so times. He was a tough-tackling wing half cum inside forward as we used to call such players back in the old days.

Sad that he's died so comparatively young.

One useless piece of information regarding Mel Slack that I forgot to add on my previous post was as follows-: When we played against Aldershot in our first season of Division Four in 1966-67, we played them away on Boxing Day losing by 5-2 then just 24 hours later("YES" the next day,Perish the thought) we then hammered Aldershot by 4-0, the goals were scored by
Eddie Firmani then No.4 Mel Slack, No.5 Eddie May, No.6 Tony Beanland. Not sure if this is some sort of Southend United record?, three goals scored by our half-back line(as they were known back in the day). Anyway "Rest in Peace Mel".

Yes remember that game at Roots Hall. If we have just lost 5-2 there's no way we will win today I thought. Proved wrong then and consistently ever since.:dim:

Back