• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Hogg

President
I have been away on my travels for some years (on & off) but will always be Southend United. Is so fantastic to see the lads sitting top of the league and of course the possibility of Anfield brings back memories of '79.
That is just one great memory of so many as well as Watford in the previous round after the big games against them in 77/78 promotion campaign (the away match being on MOTD).
So many more, Col U (too many to mention), train back from Exeter with stolen barrel of beer (cheers Ozzie & Joe) before bumping into Cardiff at Paddington, up the hill at Reading, Newport County comeback and pre-promotion in Newport a few years later, Villa at The Hall, Lincoln 80/81, Harlow (oooeeer), QPR in the cup, Torquay away to virtually clinch title in 81, many episodes with Ginge, Derby in the 70's twice, Chesterfield away, so many more and the never to forget..Bury with Benjy scoring to start the party of all parties (thanks to the guys who picked me up on the M25).

Too many big names and great people who were involved in many adventures and a drank or two along the way!!

Who remembers what?

I have been away on my travels for some years (on & off) but will always be Southend United. Is so fantastic to see the lads sitting top of the league and of course the possibility of Anfield brings back memories of '79.
That is just one great memory of so many as well as Watford in the previous round after the big games against them in 77/78 promotion campaign (the away match being on MOTD).
So many more, Col U (too many to mention), train back from Exeter with stolen barrel of beer (cheers Ozzie & Joe) before bumping into Cardiff at Paddington, up the hill at Reading, Newport County comeback and pre-promotion in Newport a few years later, Villa at The Hall, Lincoln 80/81, Harlow (oooeeer), QPR in the cup, Torquay away to virtually clinch title in 81, many episodes with Ginge, Derby in the 70's twice, Chesterfield away, so many more and the never to forget..Bury with Benjy scoring to start the party of all parties (thanks to the guys who picked me up on the M25).

Too many big names and great people who were involved in many adventures and a drank or two along the way!!

Who remembers what?

Nice one Kev, I remember when you were Southend United's Club Secretary for a while in the mid 1980's, how did that come about?

Also remember when you went to watch England in the 1986 World Cup in Mexico and told us some great stories.

Nice one Kev, I remember when you were Southend United's Club Secretary for a while in the mid 1980's, how did that come about?

Also remember when you went to watch England in the 1986 World Cup in Mexico and told us some great stories.

Yes, the Secretary bit was amazing..and I was too young and hotheaded to take real advantage of it all. Imagine working with Bobby Moore and travelling with the team?? Is like a cool dream now.
It all came about after a documentary showing how Anton Johnson was manipulating our club for his own gain. So, I phoned from a call box in Prince Avenue, told Howard Southwood that there was a new organisation planning to fight Johnson (errr me with a few 10p pieces in the box) ...it all got out of hand with press, Q&A with directors in the Shrimpers Club etc, etc.
I was rewarded for ousting AJ ..with the job!

Mexico '86?? Just brilliant!

Promotion 2012 is the next Shrimpers adventure!

Hiya Hoggy! We stood on many a terrace together in the 70s and 80s and also took a few for the team back then, when it wasnt quite so welcoming to travel to away games....Bristol City and oxford stick in the memory and the amazing Reading match in 81 I think it was! Chelsea at home in 72 and I got a thump at Bolton in the league cup in 79 as well! Col U and cambridge away were always fun and Gillingham too. i remember a Palace game as well in the 70s when we got run around the streets and Wigan away at Springfield Park! Happy time indeed

Who remembers what?

I remember Villa, Lincoln, QPR, Derby, Chelsea and many others, and probably like you for all the crazy things off the pitch. It was just how it was in those days, especially as other mobs kept trying to take our North Bank.
In the case of Liverpool, they were given the North Bank.
I was right in the middle of the swaying Southend fans near the top of the then massive South Stand. For those that were too young, if you can imagine 31,033 at the Hall, the atmosphere was electric, especially when we got to about the 60th Minute and Liverpool still hadn't scored. After all they had just won the European Cup along with dominating our domestic League for years and had just beaten Man U. 3-0 at old trafford on boxing day.

My Liverpool supporting friend kindly pointed out that all of their outfield players chipped in with goals, and that they would win by at least 3 goals and don't be surprised if it's 6. Supersub Fairclough would come on if they're playing badly and he will probably get 2.
He opened his big mouth and said that if Liverpool didn't score, then he will meet me about an hour after the game at the top of Pier Hill and he would run naked to the Ivy House ( Chinnery's ) and walk up to the bar in the pub and then run back up to the top of Pier Hill.
After the game a lot of us piled onto the pitch as you did in them days to celebrate. The game was played on a rock hard frozen pitch. Wouldn't be allowed in this day. I know this as I run onto it after the game and slipped over and cut my knee and hand open, on the way over to the North Bank Liverpool fans. As I reached the North Bank with what seemed like a few thousand others, we were celebrating in front of the Liverpool fans as if we had won the cup. Most of them clapped us as they realized that Southend had pulled off a near miracle. But a little group started getting nasty, so I made a snowball from the snow swept up around the pitch and threw it at them. The Liverpool fans then reached over the little pitch wall for snow and we had a big snowball fight that was eventually stopped by the old bill, as they pushed us away from the Liverpool fans. That was my claim to fame for that special match. Could have been an even better evening had Parker scored when thru on goal for a One on One.
I then made my way to Pier Hill and to my amazement my friend kept his promise. Absolutely hilarious and it must have been -5 degrees.
''Happy Days.''

Referee Keith Hacket recalls the Game

I remember officiating in these conditions once in an important midweek FA Cup tie – Southend v Liverpool in 1979. I remember tossing the coin before kick-off and watching it disappear into the snow at our feet. I called it tails against Liverpool captain Emlyn Hughes, who was a bit put out and asked how I could tell.

kevin hogg

Hi Kev,

Keith Mcghie here glad to here your still here as so many are not now. We didn't always see eye to eye but time moves on. I've been living in Scotland since March 1981 although for two years after that I reguarlly travelled to see Southend staying with Gary Levy who i havent heard from for many a year. last time in Southend was 1995, last 2 southend games were the famous Bury game and an away friendly to hamilton Accademicals.

Hello to those who are old enough to remember magical days (and nights) as mentioned.
Yes Keith, for some reason we were not "close". I remember you travelling down to a few northern away games after moving to Scotland...and I think we had a hug outside Gigg Lane on that tumultuous afternoon!

Liverpool was absolutely incredible and the away game was so emotional. Who remembers the entire Kop chanting "Southend" at the final whistle. Our players applauded The Shrimpers support while The Kop sung "Come up the Kop end".
Not quite so friendly in Stanley Park after, a few cheeky scousers seemed to be after the odd souvenir, one unsuspecting Shrimper losing his sheepskin coat I was told, after being thrown in front of a car.!

Shame the "run" ended last night but living abroad, nobody but nobody has ever heard of the Something Paint Job Trophy...but EVERYONE knows Southend United are top of the league.

Shrimperian, there were a couple of "tussles" with Wigan. One in a road near to Springfield Park after a game, I think we possibly got the decision on points. The second time was when a few of us were making our way back to the station and got ambushed. Wigan suprised us from up a hill to the side of us..I remember thinking they looked like "Apache" as they came roaring down the hill. We were heavily outnumbered and some rather naughty retaliation took place by a car showroom before we had to do a runner down a hill to the station. Ginge did not coinsidere the station door might be electronically operated and ran into it expecting it to open..it was a scene from a cartoon.
The Inter City to Euston was full of booze, laughing and exagerated heroics!

Love from Malta!

there were a couple of "tussles" with Wigan.

Marvellous. The violence associated with football put off many potential football fans, made female and children feel unsafe, led to increased police bills for clubs (and less money to spend on the team), increased levels of stewarding (at a cost to the club), spending on fencing and fan segregation (rather than on facilities such as toilets and catering), greater restrictions on the sale of alcohol ...... to mention just a few of the consequences ........ and you're still proud of your actions.

It's a big sarcastic "thank you" from the majority of fans who have suffered as a result of the mindless few that

[remainder of article edited///factually correct- code 23c/// re IQ and lowered mental capacity but unfair to link with people with severe mental retardation//Moderator 00092_04]

Marvellous. The violence associated with football put off many potential football fans, made female and children feel unsafe, led to increased police bills for clubs (and less money to spend on the team), increased levels of stewarding (at a cost to the club), spending on fencing and fan segregation (rather than on facilities such as toilets and catering), greater restrictions on the sale of alcohol ...... to mention just a few of the consequences ........ and your still proud of your actions.

It's a big sarcastic "thank you" from the majority of fans who have suffered as a result of the mindless few that

[remainder of article edited///factually correct- code 23c/// re IQ and lowered mental capacity but unfair to link with people with severe mental retardation//Moderator 00092_04]

I don't think anyone in this thread has said they are proud of what went on 30/40 years ago, but and this isn't justifying it, but it was all part of football in that era. Even if you weren't looking for trouble, particularly at away games it would invariably find you. In lots of ways it was a rite of passage for many, all I know is that I am not overly proud of some of our actions, but I am proud of the friends I had back then, and luckily there's still quite a few above ground, and they're still great friends and all proud supporters of our club.

I don't think anyone in this thread has said they are proud of what went on 30/40 years ago, but and this isn't justifying it, but it was all part of football in that era. Even if you weren't looking for trouble, particularly at away games it would invariably find you. In lots of ways it was a rite of passage for many, all I know is that I am not overly proud of some of our actions, but I am proud of the friends I had back then, and luckily there's still quite a few above ground, and they're still great friends and all proud supporters of our club.

What he said.

I was the next generation down from the likes of Ginger Slim Thommo Kev Stansfield Spotter and Hoggy and although they weren't "mates" you could always rely on them to step up if you were getting bullied in some Northern slimehole

Originally Posted by canveyshrimper

What he said.

Me too

Reply to Mr Rattus

Marvellous. The violence associated with football put off many potential football fans, made female and children feel unsafe, led to increased police bills for clubs (and less money to spend on the team), increased levels of stewarding (at a cost to the club), spending on fencing and fan segregation (rather than on facilities such as toilets and catering), greater restrictions on the sale of alcohol ...... to mention just a few of the consequences ........ and you're still proud of your actions.

Hi Rattus,

I read your comments with interest and certainly a degree of understanding. Thank you.

However, you must appreciate that no matter the rights and wrongs of the situation at the time..it is how it was.
Those guys surging down a hill in Wigan were doing so as a direct result of football growing in popularity on the back of tribalism..and you know what? They were going to beat the crap out of me purely because..trhat is how it was.
Groups of supporters from Dusseldorf, to Mexico to Cagliari to Lancashire ..and of course south east Essex were part of that tribalism that fed football for many years and cemented the game into fabric of life.

As with any culture..times move on and the game is less fuelled by regional rivalries and more by television, the media and of course..the new curse of the game..money.
I am delighted the sport no longer thrives on FEAR..but FEAR that money will far outweigh tribalism ...in the end. And it cannot be a happy ending for clubs like, Chester City, Scarborough ...and God forbid..Southend United.
Tribalism ignited the flame that created our four tier league system, money will ensure a one tier league centred ouround Manchester, Milan and Madrid!
The sanitised version of football has no place for those that will not drink at the top table!

My memores? it is just how it was!

The people I knew? Young, selfish certainly, thoughtless? Absolutely. Good people? Definately.

Hi Rattus,

I read your comments with interest and certainly a degree of understanding. Thank you.

However, you must appreciate that no matter the rights and wrongs of the situation at the time..it is how it was.
Those guys surging down a hill in Wigan were doing so as a direct result of football growing in popularity on the back of tribalism..and you know what? They were going to beat the crap out of me purely because..trhat is how it was.
Groups of supporters from Dusseldorf, to Mexico to Cagliari to Lancashire ..and of course south east Essex were part of that tribalism that fed football for many years and cemented the game into fabric of life.

As with any culture..times move on and the game is less fuelled by regional rivalries and more by television, the media and of course..the new curse of the game..money.
I am delighted the sport no longer thrives on FEAR..but FEAR that money will far outweigh tribalism ...in the end. And it cannot be a happy ending for clubs like, Chester City, Scarborough ...and God forbid..Southend United.
Tribalism ignited the flame that created our four tier league system, money will ensure a one tier league centred ouround Manchester, Milan and Madrid!
The sanitised version of football has no place for those that will not drink at the top table!

My memores? it is just how it was!

The people I knew? Young, selfish certainly, thoughtless? Absolutely. Good people? Definately.

An honest from the heart post me thinks,yes it was the way things were then and all changed after Heysel thank goodness.

Back