• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memories - Old Pier Trains

* ORM *

Still Loves Emma Bunton. Roy McDonough is God!
Flying the flag for SUFC in Sai Kung, Hong Kong
As a result of reading another thread on the Pub I've suddenly turned into an Anorak

SPR7.jpg

Pier Article

These were proper pier trains and I can still remember the way they shook as they hurtled down the track. At top  speed (I'd guess 40-50 mph) there was a definite melodic rythm to them.  

The big fire was over 30 years ago now and though I was only 10 I can remember how good (and how busy) the end of the Pier was. I can vividly remember the Dalek, the Mirror Maze and walking down to the lower deck at low tide.

It's current sorry state is a shocking indictment of today's Borough Council. Why can't they just sell the thing to Mr Adventure Island ?

At weekends and school holidays in the very early 80s I worked at the end of the Pier in the burger bar and occassionally the chippy, both owned by the same person. Wages £5 per day plus bonuses depending on how busy we were, plus all the food I could eat. Usually the money got thrown in the one-armed bandits on the way home
biggrin.gif
Oh, and I was allowed to cycle to the end and back.  

Anyone got any memories to share.

I am a big pier fan myself.

You only have to examine Brighton or Blackpool piers to realise what a bunch of c**ts they have made themselves look with such crappy structures.

I don' have many pier stories but.....

I once caught a lobster whilst fishing from the end of Southend pier.

I have been completely covered in someones ashes that were being scattered on a windy day.

I remember...

The seat backrests on the train swung from side to side so you could face either way.

A machine in the amusement arcade where you could record a record (one of those flexi disk efforts)

Another machine with the alphabet on allowing you to punch words onto a silver disk which you then kept.

Those haunted house mini puppet display machines near the entrance ( and yeah the Dalek too)

Remember those?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 29 2006,11:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jonny_Stokes @ Sep. 29 2006,11:48)]Weymouth Pleasure Pier is well worth a visit.
and with any luck you'll be a regular visitor in the conference in 2 years time  
laugh.gif
LOLOLOLOLOLROFL!

ps. PMSL!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jonny_Stokes @ Sep. 29 2006,11:52)]
[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jonny_Stokes @ Sep. 29 2006,11:48)]Weymouth Pleasure Pier is well worth a visit.
laugh.gif
LOLOLOLOLOLROFL!

ps. PMSL!
Only joking JS

I did of course mean Nationwide South in 3 years time
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 29 2006,12:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jonny_Stokes @ Sep. 29 2006,11:52)]
[b said:
[b said:
laugh.gif
LOLOLOLOLOLROFL!

ps. PMSL!
Only joking JS

I did of course mean Nationwide South in 3 years time  
laugh.gif
3 years? Uncle Barry will have wound the club up by then.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ph437 @ Sep. 28 2006,22:43)]I remember...

The seat backrests  on the train swung from side to side so you could face either way.

A machine in the amusement arcade where you could record a record (one of those flexi disk efforts)

Another machine with the alphabet on allowing you to punch words onto a silver disk which you then kept.

Those haunted house mini puppet display machines near the entrance ( and yeah the Dalek too)

Remember those?
Great memories, I recall the recording machine, it was after using it that I realised I was not destined to be a pop star.
sad.gif

I was fascinated by the puppet machines, one IIRC was a hanging or beheading scene, very grisly, and they cost one old penny. Plus the Dalek.

Does anyone remember the disco called the Diamond Horseshoe, I am sure many of us qualified for ORM's mile and a bit out to sea.

re-call a time after being thrashed by Northampton Town taking a stroll down and having a pint in the bar down the end......A million miles away from football think we lost 4-0

Back