• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Men who don't drive-wimps or not?

Are men who don't drive wimps?

• Yes, definitely.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • No.

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • It depends/no opinion etc

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters
Why are you a non driver? For a bloke that's a pretty strange state of affairs. I know a few men of more advanced years that don't drive and it's definitely a choice.

I put them in the same bracket as men who dislike football. These people are generally odd.

Why are you a non driver? For a bloke that's a pretty strange state of affairs. I know a few men of more advanced years that don't drive and it's definitely a choice.

A mixture of choice and circumstance I suppose.
Living near a major city means I really don't need to drive although my wife does.For the first couple of years I lived in Barna I didn't have a car and just got used to being without one.
If we ever moved (back) to (rural)France I'd have to drive and would do so (albeit reluctantly).

I work with a guy who lives in London who can drive but doesnt have a car as its pointless having one where he lives.

Couldnt do without one myself but understand those living in cities.

Each to their own I suppose but I can't imagine not driving. The odd traffic jam aside, I really enjoy doing it. Nothing like late night driving, clear roads and some good tunes.

Quite a few male colleagues don't drive but they live in or very near Sheffield. Public transport is good and the train is pretty well connected. I find it quite odd because a car is very liberating. However they are also very expensive to run

Quite a few male colleagues don't drive but they live in or very near Sheffield. Public transport is good and the train is pretty well connected. I find it quite odd because a car is very liberating. However they are also very expensive to run

I find a car restrictive.

You can't drink if you're driving (and impromptu nights out are always the best); you always need to find somewhere to leave it (parking round by me is a nightmare); the cost is financially restrictive; there are one way streets and traffic jams to navigate and rules of the road that don't apply if you're on foot; parking is often time limited so you have to get back to the car by a certain time; you can't read a book or speak on the phone whilst driving.

I have a driving licence but no real desire to drive.

Much better to take my pick of running, cycling, walking, tube, train, bus or taxi. And if I really want to, I could always hire a car.

Each to their own I suppose but I can't imagine not driving. The odd traffic jam aside, I really enjoy doing it. Nothing like late night driving, clear roads and some good tunes.

Not uncommon for me to not see another car in either direction for over forty miles coming back home at night. Bliss.*

*Would be even better if the council stopped wasting money on fancy signs and useless reflectors, and kitted all the deer out in Hi-Viz jackets, mind.

I haven't had a car since Feb and it is one of the most liberating things I've ever done. Admittedly when public transport and cabs are so efficient and cheap it makes a hell of a difference. I've also gone from 12 to 10-1/2 stone.

A car is a must if you want to be on the Dogging scene.

Gives a new spin on the term "backie" if you use a push bike. :winking:

Couldn't survive in MK without a car. Buses take forever to get anywhere. Fortunately I can get the train to work, because parking anywhere is a nightmare.

Not the biggest fan of driving, spent 4 years on the road as a sales rep before working in London. The train isn't perfect but I can work, have a beer, not get road rage, to name a few.

Always good to have the option of being able to drive. I rather took my time to get a licence (I was 26) as, living in London, I found I didn't really need one. But all that time I couldn't drive I did feel a bit lame.

Not the biggest fan of driving, spent 4 years on the road as a sales rep before working in London. The train isn't perfect but I can work, have a beer, not get road rage, to name a few.

I've seen you have a bit of rail rage on Twitter though mate :smile:

Always good to have the option of being able to drive. I rather took my time to get a licence (I was 26) as, living in London, I found I didn't really need one. But all that time I couldn't drive I did feel a bit lame.

Still trying to get my licence at 35! Although to be fair I first tried when i was 27/28.

What YB said. I live in Zone 2, so a car's not really feasible as the only places I really go, trekking back to Essex aside, would incur the Congestion Charge. I already pay just over £1,200 a year for my Oyster, so running and maintaining a car on top of that just doesn't make much sense to me. The new Overground connection between Surrey Quays and Clapham Junction has pretty much removed the only problem I commonly faced.

Live in London, so a car is pretty pointless for me even if I could drive. Why take a car when I can get a pair of trains to uni inside half an hour? Or a bus in 20 minutes? It's not even that much of a walk, I'm just down the road from the train station and the bus stop.

Besides, central London's an hour away on the public transport, and there's a tube station twenty minutes up the road.

It does make me laugh, seeing all the Mercedes SLKs and Jags and BMWs (even seen a Ferrari and a Charger on my travels arond London). They're all asking for a scraping at the least.

Live in London, so a car is pretty pointless for me even if I could drive. Why take a car when I can get a pair of trains to uni inside half an hour? Or a bus in 20 minutes? It's not even that much of a walk, I'm just down the road from the train station and the bus stop.

Besides, central London's an hour away on the public transport, and there's a tube station twenty minutes up the road.

It does make me laugh, seeing all the Mercedes SLKs and Jags and BMWs (even seen a Ferrari and a Charger on my travels arond London). They're all asking for a scraping at the least.

Go on then, I'll have a nibble. Why?

Back