• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Men's Health Magazine Men!!

A bit too late for that me thinks!!

Thanks Phil ;)

Just bought my copy of Men's Health and once I have returned from Southend and finished my tasks for the day I will don my reading glasses (don't really wear them) and start to pretend like I can read :)

The stomach area is the most difficult for me to lose weight from mate. You need some intense core exercise to shift the flab there.
Please don't follow this advice - you'll end up with rock hard abs under an inch of flab - in otherwords in no better position than you are now.

You can't spot reduce flab, and it's sods law that it sticks where you don't want it. Do you know your body fat %? Find it out, and work at reducing that. Between 11 - 14% you should see abs. You might find that you look very slim at a higher %age, but you will not have the "cut" look. For example, I look best at 18 - 20%, which might look quite flabby on others. I can also carry off 25% without too much of a belly when on a bulk, but that's officially obese I believe!! It's all down to your genes and body shape.

Find out your calorie requirement (BMR), deduct 500, and eat that much. Also better to do resistance than cardio - there is a scientific reason, but can't be arsed to go into it.

Try kettlebell excersises, or Tabata - this is a very quick form of exercising, but it kills you! Also make sure you are consuming good quality, low cal protein - try myprotein.co.uk .

Creatine - I don't get on with it (headaches), but others swear by it.

Also, fake tan helps the effect :)

Good luck.

Please don't follow this advice - you'll end up with rock hard abs under an inch of flab - in otherwords in no better position than you are now.

You can't spot reduce flab, and it's sods law that it sticks where you don't want it. Do you know your body fat %? Find it out, and work at reducing that. Between 11 - 14% you should see abs. You might find that you look very slim at a higher %age, but you will not have the "cut" look. For example, I look best at 18 - 20%, which might look quite flabby on others. I can also carry off 25% without too much of a belly when on a bulk, but that's officially obese I believe!! It's all down to your genes and body shape.

Find out your calorie requirement (BMR), deduct 500, and eat that much. Also better to do resistance than cardio - there is a scientific reason, but can't be arsed to go into it.

Try kettlebell excersises, or Tabata - this is a very quick form of exercising, but it kills you! Also make sure you are consuming good quality, low cal protein - try myprotein.co.uk .

Creatine - I don't get on with it (headaches), but others swear by it.

Also, fake tan helps the effect :)

Good luck.

I would say this is probably the best of the posts I've seen so far.

From personal experience, I've done exercise 3/4 times a week for as long as I can remember but it's only since I've been doing half-marathon training that I've seen anything near a six pack. Also been almost completely off the alcohol in this time which I assume has helped but then I'm pretty sure some of my hangovers must burn up about the same amount of calories as a pretty good gym session!

I've seen a few links about this sort of thing (there is LOADS on the net) and it seems if you're really keen then you'll need to start doing some calculations on how much you're eating versus how much you're using up in a week. You have to do some pretty intensive exercise to burn off the calories in what I would call a normal bloke's diet.

I don't think I've met anyone doing this sort of calculated apporach to it who is actually emotionally stable or happy with their lot. Most seem to drop one set of vices (fatty foods, alcohol) only to move on to others.

To be fair, even if they are under an inch of fat, they are muscles that serve the body and good ab strength helps posture which if you have that throughout your life well help you in old age.

To be fair, even if they are under an inch of fat, they are muscles that serve the body and good ab strength helps posture which if you have that throughout your life well help you in old age.

Exactly.

Look at Geoff Capes or John Pal Sigmarsson.

It's no good being ripped if a tattooed fatty from Barnsley is making you look a c**t in the Atlas spheres.

To be honest the magazine is a huge waste of money. Your much better off checking out the Discussion Boards on their website (menshealth.co.uk).

80-90% is diet, eating the right things at the right time, ie 6 smaller meals instead of the traditional larger 3, having protein with every meal, replacing simple (white) carbs with complex (brown bread, pasta, etc). Try to load up with carbs in the morning and avoid after lunch. Weight training along with HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) are what you should be looking at. Remember - when weight training don't purely focus on the muscles you want to look good (ie arms, abs) you need to train the whole body in order to strengthen your core.

The post by carl was excellent with some brilliant advice.

Back