• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mercury Music Prize Shortlist

Pubey

Adele - '19'
British Sea Power - 'Do You Like Rock Music?'
Burial - 'Untrue'
Elbow - 'The Seldom Seen Kid'
Estelle - 'Shine'
The Last Shadow Puppets - 'The Age Of The Understatement'
Laura Marling - 'Alas I Cannot Swim'
Neon Neon - 'Stainless Style'
Portico Quartet - 'Knee-Deep In The North Sea'
Robert Plant And Alison Krauss – 'Raising Sand'
Radiohead - 'In Rainbows'
Rachel Unthank And The Winterset – 'The Bairns'

radiohead but not doubt alex turners haircut must be in with a shout

Well I'd only rate out of the is Last of The Shadow Puppets or Radiohead though both aren't THAT great. Haven't heard any of the others apart from Alison Krauss & Robert Plant's album which is dreadful IMHO - he should stick to reforming Led Zep.

Estelle? American Boy? Jeeezzzussss. Adele?

surprised not to see Portishead on there. Elbow or Neon Neon for me, though i'd be tempted by a bet on Plant and Krauss given the worship they've been getting most places and the Led Zep reunion. anyone got odds?

Several of the former winners of the Mercury has disappeared from view after winning. On that Basis, I hope Plant & Krauss win.

That has got to be the worst album I've listened to for ages.

Well I'd only rate out of the is Last of The Shadow Puppets or Radiohead though both aren't THAT great. Haven't heard any of the others apart from Alison Krauss & Robert Plant's album which is dreadful IMHO - he should stick to reforming Led Zep.

Estelle? American Boy? Jeeezzzussss. Adele?

Hmmm. I think the Estelle album is cracking. I've also heard some of the Robert Plant album and it's possibly a contender for album of the year. I fear our music tastes are very very different.

great pop single blah blah indie snobs blah etc :)

Poo to you! I loved Estelle's 1980 and I've got no problem with a bit of decent pop music. This however, isn't - but that's my opinion.

Hmmm. I think the Estelle album is cracking. I've also heard some of the Robert Plant album and it's possibly a contender for album of the year. I fear our music tastes are very very different.

I'm sure we overlap somewhere!

Adele, Elbow or Radiohead for me ..but if I had to pick one,it would be Elbow.

I happen to rate both of them, oh Mr. 70s prog-rock man!

:finger:

Erm... are you confusing me with Blueblood :D

Adele is just another in a long line of 60's Dusty Springfield types thats become fashionable - Winehouse, Duffy and now Sharleen Spiteri is peddling it as well. Typical music industry chasing bandwagons.

Adele is just another in a long line of 60's Dusty Springfield types thats become fashionable - Winehouse, Duffy and now Sharleen Spiteri is peddling it as well.

All those albums are very good though.:stunned:

I'm suprised Portishead's Third isn't on there.

Out of that bunch I'd give it to Neon Neon, as that's something genuinely a bit different and inventive.

Estelle could be in with a shout, but they'll give it to Last Shadow Puppets, even though they're crap.

Adele is just another in a long line of 60's Dusty Springfield types thats become fashionable - Winehouse, Duffy and now Sharleen Spiteri is peddling it as well. Typical music industry chasing bandwagons.

Winheouse - talented, if a f*** up.

Adele - great voice, although I do agree she's been very heavily marketed post winehouse.

Duffy / Spiteri - meh.

Very lazy lumping them together. Yes, the industry is chasing a bandwagon - one that was started by Winehouse, although I think Adele would have emerged irrespective of that.

Estele is nothing like them, and pretty darn good in her own right.

Matt

Estele is nothing like them, and pretty darn good in her own right.

Didn't lump her in with the Sandy Shaw/Dusty S wannabees, however I still maintain that American Boy song was lacklustre and dreary - and if that's the best song on the album it won't be making its way onto my Ipod.

Back