• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Messages of support for former Shrimper Jacob Mellis

Hi all

I hope the Mods won't mind this riding on Chit Chat for a couple of days to give it a bit more prominence.

I was made aware of Jacob's plight via a SZ post in 'ex-Shrimpers' of the following news article:

Jacob is not a SUEPA member (we have simply not got round to asking him yet) but that does not matter. Thinking of whether there is anything practical we can do to help is difficult - I suspect that Jacob is being helped by those closest to him re all the obvious practical needs. I have though asked an ex Shrimper who I know has at least some idea of the issues Jacob is facing for ideas.

I did think though that at last we could let Jacob know, at a time when he is clearly at a very low ebb, that Shrimper fans are thinking of him, so if you are able to leave a message of support on this thread I will collect them up by close of play on Friday and send them to him via the reporter who I have been in touch with and who has agreed to pass on messages.

If you do have any practical ideas for help that could be passed on please private message me

Thanks

In February 2022, Mellis joined Leatherhead. On 5 June 2023, he revealed he had recently been forced to retire due to injury.

Jacob, I'm truly sorry to hear how things are with you. You may have only been with us a short while, but the Shrimper family is all encompassing and you are a part of that family.

Please, please seek out those who can help you through this and give you purpose for your future. If there is anything we can do for you via the Ex Players Association, do get in touch....at least agree to join up. In the meantime, I send my best wishes.

@Suffolk Shrimper In Dorset I wonder whether it might be worth getting Ricky Otto involved in this?

@ElliotAWS - have you any contacts who may be able to help Mellis?
I’m not sure of any direct contacts but may be able to offer a little point in the right direction (I work for a drug and alcohol charity and used to work for a homelessness charity).

I would suggest self referring for alcohol support to his local provider. If Jacob doesn’t have a permanent address, they would consider where his GP is registered and where he gets his post sent to, to determine where is ‘local’ to him. Google would help identify which provider this would be. In Manchester I think it may be CGL, and in Nottingham it may be Nottingham Recovery Network. From there he will be able to have an introductory assessment to determine what support is available to him, such as counselling, group sessions, relapse prevention work, employment support, etc. He will also be assigned a key worker who may be able to help him with housing as well, or at least point him in the right direction.

Sorry to not be of more help but this is what I would advise in general to someone seeking to address their alcohol consumption, as Jacob says in the article he is.

Wishing you the best of luck Jacob. Be proud of making the steps to seek support. With determination a brighter future is absolutely possible. If there are any further questions I will do my best to be useful.

Back