• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Messi and Suarez's "Cryuff" penalty: Disrespectful or genius?

Disrespectful or genius?

• Total voters

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
It's caused a lot of debate. Is it disrespectful to the opposition (the score was 3-1 at the time) or creative genius that should be applauded?

Of course, nothing against it in the rules.

Some have said why didn't Suarez just take it himself, although press today claim that it was supposed to be for Neymar, who has an awful penalty record at Barcelona and was the only one of MSN not to already be on the scoresheet, but Suarez got their first to seal his hat-trick. Had Messi taken it normally and scored, it would have been his 300th La Liga goal.

[video=youtube_share;g4FfLa-LWow]https://youtu.be/g4FfLa-LWow[/video]

My opinion is that it's genius. It's a risk and they'd have been slaughtered if it didn't work, but you can't take those risks when a game is level. Let the creative geniuses take risks and enjoy playing the game and creating new ideas and replicating those that are so rarely seen. Disrespectful? Not for me, Barcelona didn't give up, as Neymar's injury time goal proved, they weren't over the top in their celebrations and I don't see this penalty as a dig at them but some genius creativity.

Hmmm...I can see a potential taking point! Imagine this.

Messi takes the kick as above. A defender then obstructs Suarez, another defender kicks the ball away. Now the correct decision is...indirect free kick! Red faces all round for Barca!

love it. The only people complaining are crybabies and keepers. The best moments in football involve the unexpected, and making the opponent look silly, whether it's a shot from your own half, a quick freekick, or a nutmeg.

It's not genius or creative. It's been done before by Cruyff so at most they are good at copying

It was very well executed, but as above, all they've done is copy the real genius of Cruyff from years ago. However, my understanding was that after the Cruyff/Olsen penalty FIFA changed the rules to stop it. It seems I was wrong. (Although the difference was that Jesper Olsen didn't score: he played the ball back to Cruyff...)

However, it seems that even Cruyff was a copy cat!. Read this from the Independent:

Independent

I thought it was a bit disrespectful - on the other hand I had Suarez in a fantasy football game so was celebrating when it happened :)

I'm not surprised that they tried it though - doesn't Messi have the record for most missed pens in a career?

If you do it you have to do it right. Arsenal looked like prize pillocks when they screwed one of these up a decade or so back.

I'm not sure it's genius, but it is certainly a really cleverly thought out play. I applauded this free kick from Coventry in 1970 so I must do the same now.

[video=youtube;Wjq2xT-tx38]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjq2xT-tx38[/video]

Who exactly is it 'disrespectful' to?

Celta Vigo I would assume, can't see it myself. Think it's just Barcelona and Messi showing how great they are, why not try things like that when you are winning comfortably.

Celta Vigo I would assume, can't see it myself. Think it's just Barcelona and Messi showing how great they are, why not try things like that when you are winning comfortably.

Well they were 3-1 up with ten minutes to go when they did that. For Barcelona, at home, that's 'winning comfortably'. Hell it'd even be fairly comfortable for us!

Seems Celta didn't mind too much - in clear contrast to Danny Mills, who played for Man City when Henry and Pires tried that. He really laid in to them then and was ****ing and moaning about it in the press yesterday.

Back