• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Michael Bolton Concert

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
After a wait of year we finally got to see Michael Bolton at the Cliffs Pavilion last night. I have to say that although he is now 68 his voice is still full on and he gave us the full play list of his hits over the years. The audience was in awe of the bloke and the whistles, screams, shouting out was a feature of the concert and he loved it. Terrific backing band of top class musicians as well. One bitter sweet reflection though, it has been suggested for years that he is suffering from Samson's disease, which affects the pelvic region with muscular pain and he really did look pretty weak on his feet, one trip and he would fallen flat on his face. So maybe this will be the last time we see the guy in the UK? Great concert though. Ironically the audience was predominantly as old, and older as he was and the groupie situation was quite amusing when they were dancing in the aisles.

A quick shout out to the Cliffs Pavilion - Please replace your seating, it is old, uncomfortable and not of a quality to match the West End prices you charge.

Forgot to add that when we came out of the Cliffs last night I was walking next to a bloke that looked like Jamie Borthwick (the bloke that plays Jay in East Enders). I obviously looked just a bit too long and he said 'Yeah, I am). We then did a bloke nod to each other and went our different ways. It felt a bit like being Napster at that point. :Winking:

After a wait of year we finally got to see Michael Bolton at the Cliffs Pavilion last night. I have to say that although he is now 68 his voice is still full on and he gave us the full play list of his hits over the years. The audience was in awe of the bloke and the whistles, screams, shouting out was a feature of the concert and he loved it. Terrific backing band of top class musicians as well. One bitter sweet reflection though, it has been suggested for years that he is suffering from Samson's disease, which affects the pelvic region with muscular pain and he really did look pretty weak on his feet, one trip and he would fallen flat on his face. So maybe this will be the last time we see the guy in the UK? Great concert though. Ironically the audience was predominantly as old, and older as he was and the groupie situation was quite amusing when they were dancing in the aisles.

A quick shout out to the Cliffs Pavilion - Please replace your seating, it is old, uncomfortable and not of a quality to match the West End prices you charge.

Having been there just a week or so ago to see Al Murray (AKA The Pub Landord) can't really agree that the seating (in the balcony at least) was "old and uncomfortable" Can't really comment on the "West End prices") since my wife paid (birthday gift). Can remember seeing Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac there back in the day (standing only gig). :Winking:

Last edited:
Having been there just a week or so ago to see Al Murray (AKA The Pub Landord) can't really agree that the seating (in the balcony at least) was "old and uncomfortable" Can't really comment on the "West End prices) since my wife paid (birthday gift). Can remember seeing Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac there back in the day (standing only gig). :Winking:
On the main floor I have found the seats to be poor.
As a local town venue it is okay, but for a CITY it should be better, much better.

Forgot to add that when we came out of the Cliffs last night I was walking next to a bloke that looked like Jamie Borthwick (the bloke that plays Jay in East Enders). I obviously looked just a bit too long and he said 'Yeah, I am). We then did a bloke nod to each other and went our different ways. It felt a bit like being Napster at that point. :Winking:
He was watching at Billericay last time we played in pre-season. Local I assume.

Having been there just a week or so ago to see Al Murray (AKA The Pub Landord) can't really agree that the seating (in the balcony at least) was "old and uncomfortable" Can't really comment on the "West End prices") since my wife paid (birthday gift). Can remember seeing Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac there back in the day (standing only gig). :Winking:
The thing is that the Cliffs is a multi purpose venue for shows and other events. As a result the ground floor seating is removable, and often is for standing concerts, exhibitions etc. As a result the seating is stacked when stored and has undoubtedly suffered as result. It is also well over 30 years old now. As for ticket prices, we paid £63 per ticket last night which was discounted from the actual price due to us being mature! Like I say, West End prices. The balcony does not suffer from seats being moved so you may not have found it uncomfortable. So you would probably need to have experienced the downstairs seating to comment objectively. And standing concerts when you didn't have grey hair don't count.:Smile2:

The thing is that the Cliffs is a multi purpose venue for shows and other events. As a result the ground floor seating is removable, and often is for standing concerts, exhibitions etc. As a result the seating is stacked when stored and has undoubtedly suffered as result. It is also well over 30 years old now. As for ticket prices, we paid £63 per ticket last night which was discounted from the actual price due to us being mature! Like I say, West End prices. The balcony does not suffer from seats being moved so you may not have found it uncomfortable. So you would probably need to have experienced the downstairs seating to comment objectively. And standing concerts when you didn't have grey hair don't count.:Smile2:

Take your points but think you 'd have to pay me at least 63 quid to see MB. :Winking: As I said I didn't pay for the AM tickets but they were much better priced at 30 quid + (balcony tickets were the only ones left when we booked). Same price tickets anywhere in the house.Hardly WE prices for me!
I'd have looked pretty funny with grey hair when I was still at Eastwood HS !I like the Cliffs though and had good tickets downstairs for a Manfred Mann concert there just a few years back.Don't remember the seating being problematic then.

Speaking of which I really can't remember the last time I stood at a gig. Must be getting old..:Whistling:

Last edited:
Take your points but think you 'd have to pay me at least 63 quid to see MB. :Winking: As I said I didn't pay for the AM tickets but they were much better priced at 30 quid + (balcony tickets were the only ones left when we booked). Same price tickets anywhere in the house.Hardly WE prices for me!
I'd have looked pretty funny with grey hair when I was still at Eastwood HS !I like the Cliffs though and had good tickets downstairs for a Manfred Mann concert there just a few years back.Don't remember the seating being problematic then.

Speaking of which I really can't remember the last time I stood at a gig. Must be getting old..:Whistling:
Thanks for sharing that. The concert was totally sold out with a waiting list so I doubt anyone there, including me, gives a monkeys on your view on Michael Bolton.

Thanks for sharing that. The concert was totally sold out with a waiting list so I doubt anyone there, including me, gives a monkeys on your view on Michael Bolton.

Al Murray was sold out too.I seem to have touched a nerve where MB is concerned.Sorry.

Last edited:
Back