• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Would you take the refund or the Souvenir ticket?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ldnfatso

Red Rep King!
07/01/2009
Will your Michael Jackson tickets be worth more than the refund?
Guest post by Dr Christopher Paley

In offering Michael Jackson ticket holders the choice to take a refund or receive their unusable tickets as souvenirs, AEG have introduced music fans to one of the most intractable problems in the mathematical sciences. If nearly everybody takes the refund then the tickets, designed by the King of Pop himself, will become collectors’ items and worth a fortune. However, if all 750,000 fans take their tickets then they will all hold worthless bits of fancy paper.

The choice facing fans is analogous to the El Farol bar problem, which has been the subject of hundreds of academic papers and inspired a whole field: minority game theory. In this problem, there’s a funky but small bar which is great fun on a Thursday night if less than sixty people turn up, but sticky and unpleasant if more than sixty people attend.

There are a hundred people in the town who like the kind of music played in the bar (which is Irish folk rather than Billie Jean). On a Thursday night, do you go to the bar or not?

If you reason that most people will stay away then you should go, but everyone else should reason in the same way and therefore it will be crowded. Once you’ve realised this you should stay at home and listen to a CD, but if everyone thinks like you then the bar will be empty and you’ll have missed out. In the same way, if you reason that every Michael Jackson fan will take a refund then you should take the ticket, but they will reason in the same way and there will be a glut of souvenirs, so you should ask for your money back, but then…

So, with the benefit of the hundreds of academic papers from scientists around the world, what should a Times reader who holds a ticket do? The research tells us that, if you assume everybody else will use the same strategy as you, then the best you can do is to toss a dice: deciding whether or not to keep the ticket according to a probability determined by demand for tickets and price. However, working out the probability is tough and most fans, without the benefit of minority game theory, won’t be tossing die.

There is one huge factor in the Michael Jackson problem which isn’t in the standard El Farol bar problem. Hype. If the owners of the El Farol bar distributed fliers announcing it was going to be quiet next week, then it would be a safe bet to stay at home with a glass of wine. So my advice would be to read the newspapers and decide what to do on the basis of the pundits’ advice. If all the articles you read say the tickets will be collectors’ items then ask for a refund, and if they all accuse AEG of ripping off distraught fans then take the ticket. It was, after all, designed by Michael Jackson.

Refund. They'll be too many people sticking them on Ebay much like the 20p coins with no date on them.

effectively you are paying £75 for that ticket though! Do you honestly believe they will ever be worth that on the secondhand market?

Also, what's to say AEG won't flog the tickets where the refunds have been issued?

effectively you are paying £75 for that ticket though! Do you honestly believe they will ever be worth that on the secondhand market?

Also, what's to say AEG won't flog the tickets where the refunds have been issued?

You paid 75 quid for the concert experience though not a piece of memorabilia, right? Since you won't be getting what you bought it seems sensible to ask for a refund. The ticket value is an unknown factor.

personally, no i havent! I know someone that has though and she isn't sure what she's gonna do!

Why not get you money back and head down to York Road.

You could spend it on a brass that looks like Jacko. You could have a **** whilst she/he sings "Billy Jean" - Once the impromptu concert is over you can smash his/her doors in and then your getting something for nothing.

Problem solved. Hope this helps Steve. x

Last edited:
Why not get you money back and head down to York Road.

You could spend it on a brass that looks like Jacko. You could have a **** whilst she/he sings "Billy Jean" - Once the impromptu concert is over you can smash his/her doors in and then your getting something for nothing.

Problem solved. Hope this helps Steve. x

Dave, i have not bought them, so no you are not helping!

I think any serious collector/fan wishing to buy Michael Jackson memorabillia would also have bought tickets to his London shows, and therefore will choose the commemorative tickets over the refund. Therefore anyone choosing the "souvenir" to make a profit will have to take a long term view as I suspect the market will be flooded in the short term. However, in the long term the opportunity cost is likely to be greater than the amount received. So in summary, I'd take the safest option, i.e. the refund.

No job = refund for me, as much as I'd love to have the ticket its not really an option at the moment.

There's about 800,000 of these tickets. The chances of yours becoming worth anything will depend on how many of those other tickets you can destroy!

Back