• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Michael Kightly - Was tilly wrong to release him?

• yes

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • no

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
Now I'll be the first to admit I'm no great judge of talent, but in the case of Kightly on the few occasions I saw him play for us I really liked him! had a fair bit of skill and was very quick. Was a bit lightweight but was only young. I was really disappointed when we let him go and its been no surprise to me he came good.

Mind you I thought Barrington Belgrave had something about him as well, so what do I know..!

The year at Grays really toughed him up both physically and mentally, so when Wolves came calling, he was ready. Worked for Freddy too...

Always thought we should let out youngsters on a season long loan when they first sign a pro-contract, so if they prove to be good enough, they can go straight in the first team squad. Great example is Spurs - Danny Rose amongst others.

The year at Grays really toughed him up both physically and mentally, so when Wolves came calling, he was ready. Worked for Freddy too...

Always thought we should let out youngsters on a season long loan when they first sign a pro-contract, so if they prove to be good enough, they can go straight in the first team squad. Great example is Spurs - Danny Rose amongst others.

I remember reading someone said the reason he was lightweight was a problem with his diet and Grays who had a nutritionist found out he wasn't eating breakfast. Got him eating breakfast into his diet which helped out his lightweight problem and helped out with his stamina.

I think he first pulled on a 1st team Southend shirt in Tilly's testimonial when Stewart Robson was in charge for that game. I asked Stewart later who that little boy was (because that's how he looked). Stewart said he wanted to give him a run out because he was a young lad with a fantastic attitude who he felt could go a long way in the game!!

I was surprised when Tilly released him but that fantastic attitude that Stewart referred to has obviously stood him in good stead! Good luck to him.

Always thought we should let out youngsters on a season long loan when they first sign a pro-contract, so if they prove to be good enough, they can go straight in the first team squad.

I think this makes sense too and changes at the club did happen after this with youth players contracts.

Tilson was on very good terms with Kightly and at the time he wasnt quiet mature physically enough to break into our side even though he did rate him. He let him go to Grays with the thought that if he developed well he would easily be able to bring him back. Unfortunately we all know by that time Wolves come in the frame very quickly and there was no competition of where he was going then.

I allways liked the look of him but was too lightweight,pleased for him especially after a long injury lay off.Interesting to hear the version of how/why he went to Grays and how ST may have intended to bring him back; doesn't sound correct to me tho'!?

We let him go to Grays as Mitchell Cole was coming the other way and, to be fair, most on here felt that we were getting an upgrade on Kights. I certainly did.

He's come back from his recent injuries problems well. I actualy hope he stays at Wolves next season as they've stood by him the last couple of years when he's barely kicked a ball.

We let him go to Grays as Mitchell Cole was coming the other way and, to be fair, most on here felt that we were getting an upgrade on Kights. I certainly did.

He's come back from his recent injuries problems well. I actualy hope he stays at Wolves next season as they've stood by him the last couple of years when he's barely kicked a ball.

Won't stand him in good stead if he wants to push for an England call up. And i'm sure Wolves and their fans would understand that as if he gets a move to someone like Everton/ Newcastle / Sunderland / Villa one of the teams that tend to do well in the league he is likely to get noticed by the England manager (whoever that might be).

Letting him go to date is one of Tillys biggest mistakes. I grew up a close friend of Kights and we were in the same secondary school classes together. He was absoloutly gutted to be released as we are his local club.
I am delighted how well he has done for himself but will always wonder under the right stewardship I think he could of been one of our best wingers.
He has shown albeit with a few injury problems he can match it with the big guns.
Has played for the England U21's, attracted interest from Man Utd and if he continues on his current form a possible late call for a euros shout.

You look at our right wingers and all have been hit and miss over the season, lennon, walcott and swp. If Pearce leads us into the euros kights a poss euro shout.
If wolves go down unless he attracts a big offer he will stay loyal as they have been loyal to him through his last 16months of injury hell.
If he was to leave I could imagine him joining a london club maybe spurs where he was released as a youngster or a Qpr

Letting him go to date is one of Tillys biggest mistakes.
Only in hindsight. He was too lightweight for first-team football and I don't remember his performances in the reserves getting rave reviews either. No-one on here seemed particularly fussed at the time.

Having said that, I have a vague memory of reading that the management team at Grays found out he wasn't eating breakfast, which meant he lacked sufficient energy to play to his potential and bulk up. They then made him do so. If true, that's something we should have discovered ourselves and as such we missed a trick there.

Having said that, I have a vague memory of reading that the management team at Grays found out he wasn't eating breakfast, which meant he lacked sufficient energy to play to his potential and bulk up. They then made him do so. If true, that's something we should have discovered ourselves and as such we missed a trick there.

Thought someone said that about Freddy very recently?

He was still very young when in our first team set up, and only as lightweight as the likes of lawson, pettefer, probably cole werent much bigger and he wasnt a great piece of business at all.

Be fair to kights tho he has come back from his lmonths of hell and produced 3 MOM displays in a row and has scored in his last 2. Albeit both have ended in defeat but it not his fault the rest of the side is ****

A nice little comment below saying he has always wanted to prove that we were wrong to let him go. I think although he was young Tilly most certainly was wrong. Never give Kights or Hooper much of a chance

"I was determined when I came back to this club that I could show everyone, the gaffer, that I could play like I used to play and that I could play in the Premier League. I think I have proved it. And I just want to continue to prove that.

"All through my career I've had something to prove. I was released by Southend as a youngster and I always used that to spur me on, to show Southend they made a mistake in getting rid of me.

Back