• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nobody was hurt. I thought jails were stuffed to the brim? A ban, a hefty fine, and a bit of community service will suffice.

Totally agree. Community service would be much more useful to society in many cases. Make him be a lollipop lady outside a Southend school every day before and after training.

I imagine he will receive a very simillar sentence to Chris Huhne which I think was 8 months.

If he behaves himself he'll serve a few inside and then be released on licence, usually with a curfew also.

If we do sign him up i imagine he'll be unavailable for Tuesday night games as a result of the curfew unless he asks for special dispensation.
His sentence ought to be considerably less than Huhne; he is a young footballer not an experienced public figure; he has pleaded guilty not wasted £400,000 in the case. A suspended sentence, comm work and lengthy disq would suffice. Resign the lad and give him some support.

Whatever happens, this is pretty **** news! We missed him hugely when he was out last season. I suppose, this time around, at least we have a chance of bringing in a suitable replacement.

:sad:

The Magistrates Courts have the right to commit people to prison for up to 6 months...if he has been sent to Crown Court for sentence then they think their own forms of punishment are not enough.

I wouldn't read too much in to that. Perverting the course of justice is an indictable offence only so the defendant will always be tried and/or sentenced at Crown Court. The Magistrates cannot sentence as outside of their jurisdiction. I would assume a custodial sentence of around 4-6 months will be applicable. Going against him is that he did carry it out three times. However he will get a third off his sentence for pleading guilty at first opportunity. Would be very surprised if he didn't get imprisoned as there are no obvious mitigating circumstances which would sway a judge to suspend the sentence. Perverting the course of justice is a very serious offence. If people do it, the criminal justice system cannot function properly.

We might be able to get a decent team together of Shrimpers who have either been jailed or at least been arrested.

My starter for this group would be;
Goalkeeper: Bramble
Defemce:
Midfield: Otto, Hall, Timlin
Strikers: Collymore, Barnard
Manager: Moore

A bit light in defence but they often go AWOL anyway

Can you add to this lot to see if we can get a full 11? How proud will we be then?:nope:

Perverting the course of justice is a pretty serious crime and dimly viewed. The punishment has to be harsher than the crime being avoided as otherwise everyone would do the crime, pervert the course of justice and then get away with a more lenient sentence.

It's a bit like Rio Ferdinand missing that drugs test a few years back. He actually got a longer ban than if the test had been positive. Same principle.

If people thought they could escape jail by doing something that only meant community service then that's what they would do. It would be mayhem and our justice system (which is still widely respected, despite it's shortcomings) would simply collapse.

How about the bloke who shot someones kneecaps off?

I assume you're referring to David Roche - who was first jailed for knifing a bouncer in a nightclub and a few years later for a drugs deal and it was his kneecaps that were shot, not vice versa!

From another website:

David Roche - illegal firearm, assault, drug dealing. His is a story worth telling as he was arrested whilst sitting in the East stand at Southend as a player. He pulled a gun out in a nightclub in Newcastle and got into a bit of a tangle with the bouncers. By the time Tyne and Wear police caught up with him he was 'injured' sitting in the stand as Southend played Wolves. He was subsequently convicted. Released under bail he was not allowed to set foot in Newcastle. However for 1 day he was allowed in before his trial to attend a friends funeral. Apart from attending this he went out drinking where some people he probably didn't want to see caught up with him - he was knee capped. On trial he was sentenced to 4 years, Southend sacked him. Since this he did time for some other minor offences. He was sent down for 8 years in 2004 for drug dealing.

We might be able to get a decent team together of Shrimpers who have either been jailed or at least been arrested.

My starter for this group would be;
Goalkeeper: Bramble
Defemce:
Midfield: Otto, Hall, Timlin
Strikers: Collymore, Barnard
Manager: Moore

A bit light in defence but they often go AWOL anyway

Can you add to this lot to see if we can get a full 11? How proud will we be then?:nope:

GK - Darryl Flahavan - indecent exposure (flashing in public)

or

Neil Freeman - indecent exposure (****ing in public, after a game in Torquay)

Bill Garner - GBH (involving a cricket bat and a mayoresses husband)
Dave Cunningham - assault (beat up a taxi driver and his wife, not in the same incident)
Roy McDonough - drink driving (also still holds the record for most career red cards)

Manager: Alvan Williams - attempted murder/affray (was a publican after leaving football, got involved in a fight in his pub in which a teenager died)

Chairman: Anton Johnson - Theft (Stole £70,000 from Southend United and did a runner. First person to be banned from football for life by the FA)

Que? That doesn't work. This must be before the break or he wouldn't be behind the wheel. I'd imagine he was on 9,10 or 11 points and was facing a ban. Prison time could be on the cards for him.

Chris Huhne just released on Monday after 3 months of an 8 month sentence.

He was white and rich though.

Leon McKenzie was jailed for six months for a similar offence two years ago. Pretty sure Timlin will go down for this.
I remember reading a interview Leon McKenzie gave to the non league paper.He was talking about his time in prison and was saying it was a real eye opener mixing with some real heavy duty people.I hope Timlin dont go down but i think he will get a short jail sentence.

Who has been released after 8 weeks. Does anyone actually serve their time these days?

But how is he going to play with an electronic tag round his ankle? There is no FA law against this. It is the interpretation of the ref if he considers that the article could injure the player or other players on the pitch. Has a player ever played with a tag before?

Last edited:

or

Dave Cunningham - assault (beat up a taxi driver and his wife, not in the same incident)
Roy McDonough - drink driving (also still holds the record for most career red cards)

Manager: Alvan Williams - attempted murder/affray (was a publican after leaving football, got involved in a fight in his pub in which a teenager died)

Chairman: Anton Johnson - Theft (Stole £70,000 from Southend United and did a runner. First person to be banned from football for life by the FA)

Jamie Stuart has been arrested a few times I think.

or

Anthony Straker for impersonating a professional footballer!!

Back