• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

STFC_Gazza

Schoolboy
Looks like Timlin is staying with us.... would have have thought a move to Southend would have benefitted him especially seeing as Easton is on the move. Timlin would have been a great replacement for Easton. Timlin has been with us now 6 seasons however he has rarely got a game in recent times, would have thought the prospect of first team football under Sturrock would have been an attractive one.

Good. Glad we can finally put that one to bed. No offence to the bloke. But I think there is better quality available...

Good news for you guys, thanks for the update Gaz

I wonder if we seriously chased him, and if so will it mean a change of tact in our negotiations with Easton ??

I wonder if we seriously chased him, and if so will it mean a change of tact in our negotiations with Easton ??

Well not sure if its good news.... if he is staying does that mean Jonathan Douglas is leaving..... Douglas is perhaps the best midfielder in L2 (at the mo)

A wee birdie tells me we are doing a massive U-turn and re-signing Adam Bouzid on a staggering 8 year deal.

Chris Phillips has always maintained that Timlin wasn't really a main target of ours. We held talks, but we have with many players.

Timlin was always a "nice to have" rather than a "need to have" target.

There are many others ahead of him in the shopping list. As I have said many times.

Timlin was always a "nice to have" rather than a "need to have" target.

There are many others ahead of him in the shopping list. As I have said many times.

So is it a case of there being many targets ahead of him or many midfield targets ahead of him. Because apart from Timlin we've only heard of N'Diaye that we are supposedly chasing, I would have thought with Easton probably off that we'd need maybe 2 central players coming in. Do you know of any other midfield targets Smiffy or are we prioritising other positions only?

So is it a case of there being many targets ahead of him or many midfield targets ahead of him. Because apart from Timlin we've only heard of N'Diaye that we are supposedly chasing, I would have thought with Easton probably off that we'd need maybe 2 central players coming in. Do you know of any other midfield targets Smiffy or are we prioritising other positions only?

We are talking to loads and I mean loads of players!...

Without naming any, there are several midfielders in amongst that lot, other than the much talked about N'diaye.

Last edited:

Without naming any, there are several midfielders in amongst that lot, other than the much talked about N'diaye.

Any that got you excited and would think they could get in the team ahead of Sawyer Ferdinand and Grant on opening day?

This is interesting, I suppose that we can hope that we wont have loads and loads of refusals, like last season? From what you say, would you expect there to be quite a lot of activity concerning bringing players in, from now until the end of the month? i.e. we will have something else to write about, apart from the imminent arrival of the elusive Mr Banton?

One who is NOT coming: Bit miffed he thinks Swindon are a better team than us.

MICHAEL Timlin chose the ‘better option’ when he opted to stay at Swindon Town rather than move home to Southend United, according to the midfielder himself.

Timlin was contacted by Southend manager Paul Sturrock when his last contract expired at the end of last season, leading to plenty of speculation he would fly the Robins nest to settle closer to his family in the south east.
But yesterday the 26-year-old committed his future to Town by signing a new two-year deal at the County Ground, and then told the Advertiser Swindon was always his preferred choice as a footballer - even if his girlfriend took a little convincing.
“Once my family heard about the Southend situation it was hard for them to think I would stop and not go there,” he said.
“It took quite a while for them to get their heads round that.
“The last week has been spent trying to get my girlfriend to forget the fact of being back home.
“I said to her, ‘if you think about it from a footballing side, Swindon is always going to be the better option’.”
Timlin has served Town for almost five years since originally joining the club on loan from Fulham in November 2006.
In that time he has developed an affinity with the Swindon, and said he would find it difficult to leave in any circumstances.
While he conceded he has spoken to Sturrock in recent months, the Irishman stressed he had never discussed terms with the Shrimpers, while he kept Robins interim chairman Jeremy Wray completely in the loop with all developments.
“I told Jeremy I was really keen to stay,” he said. “I see myself as part of the club, I’ve been here a long time and I think I’m the longest-serving outfield player.
“Those things are hard to turn your back on.
“Everyone would have known that Southend would have shown interest, particularly with Sturrock there.
“As soon as I heard about the interest I told Jeremy straight away and I told him I was going on holiday, they’d shown interest and I wanted to be honest as he’d always been honest to him.
“It wasn’t any more than just thinking. We didn’t go into big dialogue or anything like that.”
After his break and a few days consulting with his family, Timlin got on the phone to his chairman on Monday night to let him know he wanted to stay in Wiltshire.
And with the deal now done, he can’t wait to work within Paolo Di Canio’s new-look regime.
“I was keen anyway, but since meeting him (Di Canio) this morning I’m like a little kid with excitement.
“I think I can adapt to Paolo and Fabrizio (Piccareta, Di Canio’s assistant manager) really well.
“It’s down to me to play well but it’s nice to get the opportunity to play under the manager who wants you for who you are.

Back