• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Midfielders to hold talks about their futures with Southend United

I hope it isn't just these 2 being talked to and assessed.
The bigger picture of the rebuild, next season, other possible signing, wage bill, squad balance all come into play.
I suggest a fit Bridge goes in a starting midfield before either Willow or Gard.
The loanee ought to be another midfield starter. .
If we are going 5 2 3 or 4 3 3 then the starts for both could be limited AND my guess would be one of them is on more pay than the other for a probable bench warmer.

I hope it isn't just these 2 being talked to and assessed.
The bigger picture of the rebuild, next season, other possible signing, wage bill, squad balance all come into play.
I suggest a fit Bridge goes in a starting midfield before either Willow or Gard.
The loanee ought to be another midfield starter. .
If we are going 5 2 3 or 4 3 3 then the starts for both could be limited AND my guess would be one of them is on more pay than the other for a probable bench warmer.
They're the only 2 who need a decision made on contracts over the next few weeks. Bit early to be holding contract talks with the others

The original question was around which midfielder we see off, but I see talk of a rebuild. How much do you think you can change midstream before you jeopardise the short term goal of just staying up? (I know, theoretical question when we don't know what's available, but there's not likely to be any dead certs knocking on our door. Or are there?)

According to Stan, through contacts those proposed or in the process are of exceptional standard, unless i misread that, so lets keep Will on a wage instead ? ( and bring back Brown in a consultancy role)

I appreciate loanees is also the way to go as a vast majority of my posts highlighted before the season started and much depends who is paying what for loanees

But if budgets are that tight Im still of the view that I would accept one of Stans remarkable talents over dear Will

Chris Phillips reported yesterday another Defender to join this week, I assume not midfield, although our recent lads can play at the back or midfield. Wonder if another loanee, freebie or even buy? which would further question the wisdom of extending Atkos contract financially, even if on a cheap deal with the tight finance situation, and the squad is growing large ?

The trouble with getting another loanee in in that position

1. They are likely to be inexperienced. We’ve already got Neal in there and pairing him with another inexperienced player isn’t ideal. It also blocks Gard’s progress if you play 3-5-2 as you certainly don’t want 3 inexperienced players in there
2. Unless it’s with a view to a permanent move, it’s only a temporary sticking plaster. I’d rather be looking for long term solutions.
3. There’s a limit on the number we can play at any one time.

Another midfielder and a right back would be lovely.

I think with a couple more in, there's enough for the coaching team to work with, certainly we have enough to get the points needed to keep above that relegation zone. As has been mentioned elsewhere, the real clearout is likely to be in summer.

According to Stan, through contacts those proposed or in the process are of exceptional standard, unless i misread that, so lets keep Will on a wage instead ? ( and bring back Brown in a consultancy role)

I appreciate loanees is also the way to go as a vast majority of my posts highlighted before the season started and much depends who is paying what for loanees

But if budgets are that tight Im still of the view that I would accept one of Stans remarkable talents over dear Will

No one is saying its a choice of WA or a Stan signing. We could have both.

ANG, Akinola and Agogo may not play again for various reasons. JB is coming back from longterm injury. Gard and Phillips are lightweight for CM and it depends what side of the bed Ferguson gets out that morning.

If any manager in any business had 5 staff unavailable in one vital area it might be best to recruit some more...... Rather than sack your worker of the week......Even if Colin in accounts has never liked him.

Last edited:
I think both these lads are decent enough but they've been around the 1st team quite a while now and not really done anything, so I think their ships sailed personally. We're not in the position anymore to hang on to players to just see how it goes, we need to free up space. Plus Gard doesn't have a good injury record.

No sure why so many of you are so keen to get rid of WA. In May that makes sense but January is not the time for rebuilds, especially as we are hovering just above relegation with lots of midweek games to fit in.

He was signed as cover and his wages will probably be one of the lowest amongst the seniors. The way forward is to get the best out of what we have and some decent loans.
Agreed. I’m sure there will some gnashing of teeth if his contract is extended but he’s going about his work now the way he always did - quiet but tireless and effective. He’s not quite the player he was, but then we’re not the team we were and this isn’t the league we were once gracing.

We need to ship players out and Will’s contract situation puts him in the firing line, but there are others who should definitely be closer to the door.

Great intentions but not an easy situation for us contractually.

The real colour sergeant was only 23, the youngest in the British army at the time. Obviously you need legs against the Zulus but clearly it was a great defence that won the day.
Not only was he 23 but I think he was also 5ft 1in tall!

You do get stick sometimes but these little drops are always enough to get me moist at the seems. Fingers crossed.

The player in question, whose name has been leaked by some on here and social media, actually met with Kev & co the other day when his last mention of new signings came out.

Agreed. I’m sure there will some gnashing of teeth if his contract is extended but he’s going about his work now the way he always did - quiet but tireless and effective. He’s not quite the player he was, but then we’re not the team we were and this isn’t the league we were once gracing.

We need to ship players out and Will’s contract situation puts him in the firing line, but there are others who should definitely be closer to the door.

Great intentions but not an easy situation for us contractually.

I thought it was grievous mistake to sign him, but, as he has now started in the last two matches it would be strange if he was not re-signed. He was able to regain his place in the side by impressing those in charge, and, he has since contributed on the field of play.
He was given his chance, and, seems to have taken it.
Even if we were to bring in another midfielder we would still need cover for injury.
Not only is it logical to resign him but he deserves it.
I was wrong before and am happy to admit it.
There will be no gnashing of teeth in this little corner of the world when his contract is renewed.

Back