• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Midfielders to hold talks about their futures with Southend United

All Maher said is that he'll definitely talk to them, that doesn't mean we're offering extensions. If you're letting someone go it's good practice to tell them in person rather than to just change the locks.
If you was going to release Atkinson you would release him then announce in the press. Plus if we are starting him today it's looking less likely we will release him

FWIW my understanding is we have a break clause in the contract- so it runs to the end of the season unless we activate the break clause.

Interesting that Atkinson has played OK in the last two games.
Another Zoner reckoned it's taken him this amount of time to get properly match fit after a disrupted 20/21 season and niggles when he joined us.
Other cynics might say that dangling contract has proved an incentive.
If the management can conjure up another loan along the likes of Brunt, and can do it again, who needs either?

I think Atkinson is doing no worse than most of the other squad , he’s always been a player who doesn’t catch the eye with racking passes or taking a player on,but I’ve played with many a player like WA and trust me they make your life easier in the middle of the park and the ability to win and give the ball simple shouldn’t be overlooked .

Only trouble is we have 3 players of the same mould in Dunne , Atko and Ferguson and one needs to go . I think Will should be given an extension until the end of the season because of his reliability if nothing else

Wondering what people make of the Gard / Atkinson situation. Up until a few weeks ago I was thinking Will wouldn’t survive January, but last few games he has been excellent. Yesterday in particular in tough conditions never stopped running and did his job well. However he is limited in what he can do.

Gard, I really like. He has had rotten luck with injuries but is a player. Not sure Kev trusts him though. Apparently he has spoken to a number of clubs about possibly moving on which for me would be a shame and certainly if he stays fit could have a bright future. Should we risk losing him over keeping Will for example? Do we need to move one or both on to bring in new?

one thing I feel we still need is a creative midfielder. Could bridge play this role? Think he is the one player in the team with the ability to take on a player and create chances.

guess these are the questions Stan and John Still need to find the answers to

When we signed Atkinson it was a deal till the end of Jan, or that’s what I think the Southend press release said, playing him and making a decision later in the month makes sense if others are not fit.

Last edited:
I think Atkinson is doing no worse than most of the other squad , he’s always been a player who doesn’t catch the eye with racking passes or taking a player on,but I’ve played with many a player like WA and trust me they make your life easier in the middle of the park and the ability to win and give the ball simple shouldn’t be overlooked .

Only trouble is we have 3 players of the same mould in Dunne , Atko and Ferguson and one needs to go . I think Will should be given an extension until the end of the season because of his reliability if nothing else
Atkinson played well yesterday but the player who made everyone’s lives easier yesterday (Atkinson included) was having Neal in the middle. Having some legs in midfield transformed this side.

Dunne/Ogogo/Atkinson all offer the same in the middle of the park. Atkinson is now ironically the fittest of them but Brown gave his former player Dunne a two year deal (with option of a third!), Ogogo is under contract until this summer so we are stuck with them whilst Atkinson we can move on from at the end of the month.

For my money Gard offers something different, he takes up more attacking positions and creates space which is something we’ll be wanting a lot more of when we play with only two up front, when we don’t take an early lead and when we chase a game. However I can’t see us going for him and Neal as a midfield pairing as it is too green. In a midfield three it makes much more sense.

I worry that we’re going to fall into the same trap we did when we last got ourselves rid of Brown: the new man got more out of the existing players but the accompanying upturn in results gave a false sense of optimism for the quality (and longevity) of the squad and we failed to have as thorough a clear out of the old guard as required.

Atkinson played well yesterday but the player who made everyone’s lives easier yesterday (Atkinson included) was having Neal in the middle. Having some legs in midfield transformed this side.

Dunne/Ogogo/Atkinson all offer the same in the middle of the park. Atkinson is now ironically the fittest of them but Brown gave his former player Dunne a two year deal (with option of a third!), Ogogo is under contract until this summer so we are stuck with them whilst Atkinson we can move on from at the end of the month.

For my money Gard offers something different, he takes up more attacking positions and creates space which is something we’ll be wanting a lot more of when we play with only two up front, when we don’t take an early lead and when we chase a game. However I can’t see us going for him and Neal as a midfield pairing as it is too green. In a midfield three it makes much more sense.

I worry that we’re going to fall into the same trap we did when we last got ourselves rid of Brown: the new man got more out of the existing players but the accompanying upturn in results gave a false sense of optimism for the quality (and longevity) of the squad and we failed to have as thorough a clear out of the old guard as required.
Good point YB, the lack of a transfer window this time round, at least means if the management team don't see any potential error in judgement in January, they do still have time to rectify it in the remainder of the season.

I hope we do manage to get some fine tuning done in the second half of the season, to prepare for a serious go at getting promotion next season and have some improved players already in place by May.

Nine over 30s doesnt feel like much of a development plan yet. An opportunity has arisen to save a bit of a wage, although great to see the young loanees doing so well and placing some of our more mature players on the redundancy list

2 games does not a summer make. although maybe a pay as you play offer?

I think Hurst was a good player for us for some years and then his legs started to go and I think he had a particularly poor season but perked up again just before his contract was due up, and wasnt he signed again, ? but went back to sleep immediately afterwards ??

I do however hear the comments about Wills injuries and their impact so indeed he has perked up the last 2 games but contract extension , I personally dont think so , or on the above terms and certainly and surely not beyond next season, if we are serious about building for the future and plucking more local talented youngsters

A difficult decision with Will.
I have said before and i will (pun not meant) again.
It depends who else we can attract. The big job starts in the Summer.
We could offer a 3 or 6 month contract, depending on who is available.
Although i am not sure at this stage in the season we would attract someone with that fitness.
As Kev's says The player has to be ready to go. Summer a definiate No Contract.
NOW hmmmmm. Probably. Its still all about survival.

We all know that the squad needs improving. Fortunately, the rebuild doesn't have to be finished by the end of January. Provided we can keep picking up points in the short term, then there will no need for quick fixes.

I would certainly keep Atkinson until the end of the season and see if there are takers for Ferguson as I really can't see what he brings to the team. Would leave a choice between Atkinson and Dunne for selection. Can't really comment on Agogo, have seen very little of him.

Zulus fousands of em

Given the effort thats going on and the ability to bring in Brunt and Lopata and Kensdale plus Neal and with Gard, Phillips Egbri Walsh, possibly Kinali and Howard and with Stan and team lining up loads of much more talented players and placing them on a platter to the Kev, Would you Keep Atko?

Zulus fousands of em

Given the effort thats going on and the ability to bring in Brunt and Lopata and Kensdale plus Neal and with Gard, Phillips Egbri Walsh, possibly Kinali and Howard and with Stan and team lining up loads of much more talented players and placing them on a platter to the Kev, Would you Keep Atko?
A good question.

a) it would help if there was another Brunt in the offing, and..

b) ...the six you mention as options are not up to it, and that includes Gard on a regular basis.

So, c) I'd farm out most of the six, either as loans or goodbyes, and suffer Ogogo, Ferguson and Dunne, not because I rate them, but because we're stuck with them!

Another decent loan and sadly, Atko's departure, with thanks, can free up a wage...

I would guess that this management team have a very clear vision of what they want from their midfield players. I do not think it coincidental that our recent upturn in results has been accompanied by effective performances from our midfield players.
As Atkinson has started in our last two games I would be surprised if he was released.
My instincts would be that there should be players available to us who might be an upgrade on Will but then my opinion counts for nothing.
KM was a pretty useful midfield player as was Benno. I am sure they are all over this problem, and, have firm ideas on the way forward.
As always with Southend there could be quite a big difference between what we want, and, what we can afford and what is available.

Gard, Phillips Egbri Walsh, possibly Kinali and Howard
Honestly I'd expect most of those to be offloaded if we do manage to identify new young prospects, realistically most of our aging players won't get any offers so we're stuck with them whilst teams will take a punt on the kids.

I would guess that this management team have a very clear vision of what they want from their midfield players. I do not think it coincidental that our recent upturn in results has been accompanied by effective performances from our midfield players.
As Atkinson has started in our last two games I would be surprised if he was released.
My instincts would be that there should be players available to us who might be an upgrade on Will but then my opinion counts for nothing.
KM was a pretty useful midfield player as was Benno. I am sure they are all over this problem, and, have firm ideas on the way forward.
As always with Southend there could be quite a big difference between what we want, and, what we can afford and what is available.
Quite the three in the management team I will trust to see what a given midfielder brings over anyone on here..

No sure why so many of you are so keen to get rid of WA. In May that makes sense but January is not the time for rebuilds, especially as we are hovering just above relegation with lots of midweek games to fit in.

He was signed as cover and his wages will probably be one of the lowest amongst the seniors. The way forward is to get the best out of what we have and some decent loans.

Zulus fousands of em

Oh, and the eloquent colour sergeant (Nigel Green) would never have said: 'Fousands'..., lol! :Hilarious:

Back