• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Davros

The Whippet
Singles

01 (NEW) Elvis Presley - Surrender
02 (NEW) Jennifer Lopez - Get Right
03 (NEW) LL Cool ft 7 Aurelius - Hush
04 (03) Eminem - Soldier
05 (01) U2 - Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
06 (NEW) Embrace - Looking As You Are
07 (05) Brian & Delta - Almost Here
08 (NEW) The Game ft. 50 Cent - How We Do
09 (04) Destiny's Child
10 (NEW) Atomic Kitten - Cradle 2005

New Entries 11-40
11 Angel City - Sunrise
21 Biffy Clyro - Only One Word Comes to Mind
24 Willy Mason - Oxygen
27 Death From Above 1979 - Blood On Our Hands
28 Trick Daddy ft Twista & Lil' Jon - Let's Go
33 New Rhodes - You've Given Me Something That I Can't Give Back

New Entries 41-75
42 New Found Glory  
44 Mark Joseph
52 Ed Harcourt
54 Aberfeldy
59 House Of Love
71 Stephen Fretwell
75 Kings of Tomorrow

Albums

01 Scissor Scissors
02 Keane
03 (NEW) Bloc Party
04 Franz Ferdiand
05 Elvis Presley
06 Athlete
07 Killers
08 reen Day
09 U2
10 Joss Stone

No other new albums in the Top 40

The release schedueles i have said Mark Joseph isnt out till the 21st... t*ssers!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave @ Feb. 15 2005,13:25)]01 Scissor Scissors
02 Keane
03 (NEW) Bloc Party
04 Franz Ferdiand
05 Elvis Presley
06 Athlete
07 Killers
08 reen Day
09 U2
10 Joss Stone

No other new albums in the Top 40
The Brits affect there surely? Five of those acts performed at The Brits (Scissor Sisters, Keane, Franz Ferdinand, Green Day and Joss Stone) with four of them winning awards and two others were nominated (U2 and The Killers).

Elvis couldn't make the Brits on account of him being dead (according to some people anyway).

Spot on Ron... my source goes on to say...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The Brits/Valentines double whammy continues to have a positive effect at retail, with the album market experiencing a 62% upturn in fortunes yesterday

Is my source you ron??
biggrin.gif

I dont have figuers for the Complitaion charts, but sales are up 125% with 7 of the top 10 being 'Love' albums... and whoever said valentines day was all about commercialization!

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave @ Feb. 15 2005,13:40)]Spot on Ron... my source goes on to say...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The Brits/Valentines double whammy continues to have a positive effect at retail, with the album market experiencing a 62% upturn in fortunes yesterday

Is my source you ron??  
biggrin.gif
Am I a music industry insider? I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you......

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 15 2005,13:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave @ Feb. 15 2005,13:40)]Spot on Ron... my source goes on to say...

[b said:

Is my source you ron??  
biggrin.gif
Am I a music industry insider? I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you......

tounge.gif
So 'Rock & Roll' of ya...  
tounge.gif

Anyhow, my chart prediction of Angle City hitting the top 10 looks well on course. Wonder who they'l replace in the top 10 tho....

Smashing to see Embrace up there too. Infact those were the two singles i bought this week (usefless Dangangbabmliroo fact!)

Loving both the Willy Mason & Stephen Fretwell tracks out right now. Good to see Bloc Party selling well although I'd have thought that they would have been higher than No3 with the usual "Indie Kids buy on 1st day of release" effect. Are HMV/Virgin not doing their usual post-Brits sales push this week?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Feb. 15 2005,13:52)]Loving both the Willy Mason & Stephen Fretwell tracks out right now.  Good to see Bloc Party selling well although I'd have thought that they would have been higher than No3 with the usual "Indie Kids buy on 1st day of release" effect.  Are HMV/Virgin not doing their usual post-Brits sales push this week?
i refer back to..

[b said:

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave @ Feb. 15 2005,14:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Feb. 15 2005,13:52)]Are HMV/Virgin not doing their usual post-Brits sales push this week?
i refer back to..

[b said:
Yeah but the charts aren't constructed from every single HMV & Virgin outlet though are they? I seem to remember that there are only something like 50 whose sales form the chart data.

Chart figures are mainly made up of singles sales from the three biggest retailers of CD singles, Woolies (the biggest), HMV and Virgin. They use a system (i forgot its name) which counts the number of sales of induvidual singles (and albums) and sends them to a main computer(s). Other shops which stock music may use this system, but some (mostly smaller ones) dont and so obviously not all sales are recorded. (until obviously the shops do there stocks and sendbacks etc, but this will never make the charts in time, and only affect overall sales figures in the long run.

Sometimes with midweeks sales, its quite often that one of the big three wont have its sales figures in at time of publishing, but this will be noted (altho maybe not to the likes of me!).

Incidently if a release has two cd's (ie a two track and a maxi, or a CD and a 7") and you are an avid fan, it would serve ur artist best to make these two transactions induvidually, as they will be counted as only one sale if you bought them at the same time, which has hurt the dance, garage and rock scenes, where hardcore fans will genrally buy the cd and the vinyl. (i think this was bought in after the mass purchising of candle in the wind).

Incidently, as a side note, sales from sunday go to the following week, not the day the charts are published, therefore giving previously released material a days advantage overs Mondays newbies.

Correct me if im wrong (i dare ya)

Dave

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave @ Feb. 15 2005,15:06)]Chart figures are mainly made up of singles sales from the three biggest retailers of CD singles, Woolies (the biggest), HMV and Virgin. They use a system (i forgot its name) which counts the number of sales of induvidual singles (and albums) and sends them to a main computer(s). Other shops which stock music may use this system, but some (mostly smaller ones) dont and so obviously not all sales are recorded.

Sometimes with midweeks sales, its quite often that one of the big three wont have its sales figures in at time of publishing, but this will be noted (altho maybe not to the likes of me!).

Incidently if a release has two cd's (ie a two track and a maxi, or a CD and a 7") and you are an avid fan, it would serve ur artist best to make these two transactions induvidually, as they will be counted as only one sale if you bought them at the same time, which has hurt the dance, garage and rock scenes, where hardcore fans will genrally buy the cd and the vinyl. (i think this was bought in after the mass purchising of candle in the wind).

Correct me if im wrong (i dare ya)

Dave
Nope that's pretty much as I understood it as well. One of my former colleagues used to be an accountant for Chrysalis & filled me in on how the charts are compiled.

Shame I never knew about the separate transaction deal in my younger days of buying each version of big releases. Maybe the likes of Pulp would have knocked the evil Wets off their 17 week (or so) No1 slot then!

Although, Virgin this week are doing a "bundle" of the Embrace track whereby you can get CD1, CD2 & the 7" vinyl for a fiver. Shame the band aren't putting a caveat on their newsletters by saying this will only count as 1 sale for the charts!

Hmmm, thats a moral dilema for the fan indeed!

Ask at the counter, and if they start sayin it wont effect sales... say big dave sent ya!  
biggrin.gif

Hmmm, i just spoke to my mate who works for Clubland, and he said if you were a loyal fan, you'd buy them seperately and the cost would be an honour to your beloved Embrace...  
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Feb. 15 2005,15:13)]Shame I never knew about the separate transaction deal in my younger days of buying each version of big releases.  Maybe the likes of Pulp would have knocked the evil Wets off their 17 week (or so) No1 slot then!
It was 15 weeks... sorry to be a picky git!!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave @ Feb. 15 2005,15:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Feb. 15 2005,15:13)]Shame I never knew about the separate transaction deal in my younger days of buying each version of big releases.  Maybe the likes of Pulp would have knocked the evil Wets off their 17 week (or so) No1 slot then!
biggrin.gif
Hence why I put "or so" as I knew that someone with a photographic knowledge of Trivia of the British Phonographic Industry would pick me up on that!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Feb. 15 2005,15:24)]
[b said:
[b said:
biggrin.gif
Hence why I put "or so" as I knew that someone with a photographic knowledge of Trivia of the British Phonographic Industry would pick me up on that!
15 weeks, 17 weeks whatever.

All I know is it felt like a lifetime!

ghostface.gif

[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
biggrin.gif
Ill go grab my pipe, slippers, and Guiness book of hit singles and be out your way sir!
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave @ Feb. 15 2005,15:17)]Hmmm, i just spoke to my mate who works for Clubland, and he said if you were a loyal fan, you'd buy them seperately and the cost would be an honour to your beloved Embrace...  
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif
Embrace are more beloved of the missus than of me.
Did get to go to one of their Secret Gigs though (at The Angel of the North - not a reference to Lauren Laverne, RonM
tounge.gif
) and it was one of those music moments where you will look back in 25 years and be proud to have been there!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 15 2005,15:26)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
biggrin.gif
15 weeks, 17 weeks whatever.

All I know is it felt like a lifetime!

ghostface.gif
Fair play to old Jarv though for going on TotP with a "I Hate Wet Wet Wet" t-shirt on under his Geography teacher's jacket! My defence of that moment & general hatred of Marty Pellow et al once landed me a smack in the face from some bird at my mate's housewarming! Lairy Clydebank bint
oops.gif

Ok then, buy them seperate for her... and tell her so!!

a) she'd think u spent more money on her

b) she'd be proud of u for propping her faves towards the no1 spot

c) hmmmmm

Back