• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mighty Shrimper's £1,000 Challenge

Mighty Shrimper

Manager
Hi Guys,

After some thought, I have decided to challenge myself and top up my online betting account with £100 with the aim of getting to £1,000 profit by the end of the season. As the cliche goes, this will be a marathon, not a sprint!

I will take my time during the week to study the upcoming games and post on here before the start of my selected match or matches to avoid after eventing.

The minimum I can place on a bet is £10 and the maximum I will place on a bet will be 50% of my balance.

I will show an overall update on Monday's to show how i'm doing and how close/far I am to my target.

If I lose the £100, I will re-load my account twice (Lets hope I don't need to do this!)

I have decided to avoid large accumulators and to focus my bets on Singles, Doubles or rarely, Trebles only.

These are the first bets I have decided to go for and have placed:

Hull v Blackpool - Friday 5th August 2011:

Home Win - Odds: 2.25 - Stake: £20 Single
Under 2.5 Goals - Odds: 1.90 - Stake: £20 Single

Southend v Hereford - Saturday 6th August 2011:

Home Win - Odds: 1.83 - Stake: £20 Single
Mohsni To Score Anytime - Odds: 3.60 - Stake: £10 Single

Coventry v Leicester City & Burnley v Watford - Saturday 6th August 2001

Leicester and Burnley To Win - Odds: 3.66 - Stake: £10 Double

Current Balance: £20

Last edited:
£80 out of £100 budget on the first weekend is going some for someone who is going to take it steady! Good luck.
I'm doing something similar keeping a record of monthly betting budget (but with no set amount of stake or end profit). This is year is the first time i've done it. Pretty good so far with profit from 5 out of 7 months, but the 2 losing months were quite high. So all in all i'm about £150 profit which i'm well pleased with, but like you would like to get up to nearer a grand. I bet similar amounts to you £15-20 on a game and Always back Southend one way or another hence the losing months ha ha.
Just one last thing i fancy Blackpool tonight @21/10 could be a bit of value going to wait for the team sheets first.

Good luck again. Jimmy

It's a fair point :smile:

My reasons for the high outlay is because i'm hoping that I can build up a decent balance at the start so I have abit of room when it comes to later on when I will inevitably lose some bets. it's a high risk which obviously could backfire, however, i'm willing to take that risk. :thumbsup:

I rarely place any bets on Southend games as i'm swayed by my support for the club which is very risky financialy because you're betting with your heart rather than your head.

I prefer to bet on Singles and Doubles as I see it as less of a risk. The problem with Accumulators is you can get maybe 3 correct results but more often than not, 1 or 2 will let you down. With Singles, you could win one and lose the other and end up afew quid down/up or even which you won't lose any sleep over.

I fancy Hull for a good season this year. They had a good 2nd half to last season, have made afew good signings and seem to have gone unoticed. They've also had a decent pre-season.
I feel that Blackpool have lost some quality players and although they have also made some good signings, they're going to struggle without DJ Campbell, Vaughan and Charlie Adam. Hull are a dangerous side at home and with Blackpools defensive frailties, I fancy Hull will put afew goals in the net tonight. :cool:

It's a fair point :smile:

My reasons for the high outlay is because i'm hoping that I can build up a decent balance at the start so I have abit of room when it comes to later on when I will inevitably lose some bets. it's a high risk which obviously could backfire, however, i'm willing to take that risk. :thumbsup:

I rarely place any bets on Southend games as i'm swayed by my support for the club which is very risky financialy because you're betting with your heart rather than your head.

I prefer to bet on Singles and Doubles as I see it as less of a risk. The problem with Accumulators is you can get maybe 3 correct results but more often than not, 1 or 2 will let you down. With Singles, you could win one and lose the other and end up afew quid down/up or even which you won't lose any sleep over.

I fancy Hull for a good season this year. They had a good 2nd half to last season, have made afew good signings and seem to have gone unoticed. They've also had a decent pre-season.
I feel that Blackpool have lost some quality players and although they have also made some good signings, they're going to struggle without DJ Campbell, Vaughan and Charlie Adam. Hull are a dangerous side at home and with Blackpools defensive frailties, I fancy Hull will put afew goals in the net tonight. :cool:

Or flip side does it make you more qualified to known the outcome then the bookies?

Without a doubt, but in the build up to some games, it's human nature to get carried away which builds up more confidence in your thinking than an unbiased individual.

I've backed Blackpool tonight just fancy them at that price. Just thought i would say this before start of game.

Nice one Jimmy, well done mate :winking:

With the amount of clear cut chances Hull had, it's amazing that they didn't score.

Not that start I had in mind but onwards and upwards!

Cheers Mighty Shrimper, I thought Hull was better team too, but they've got to take the chances.
Onwards and upwards I'm already on Southend for tomorrow so hopefully we'll both get a result.
Thinking about Ipswich to win away to Bristol City 15/8.

I seem to have made a mistake yesterday when placing the bet for Over 2.5 Goals in the Hull v Blackpool game.

When checking my account balance, i've noticed I accidently did Under 2.5 Goals which I didn't mean to do but fortunately it won :blush:

Just to prove it as I said I wouldn't do after eventing, here is a screen shot:

bet.jpg

I seem to have made a mistake yesterday when placing the bet for Over 2.5 Goals in the Hull v Blackpool game.

When checking my account balance, i've noticed I accidently did Under 2.5 Goals which I didn't mean to do but fortunately it won :blush:

Just to prove it as I said I wouldn't do after eventing, here is a screen shot:

View attachment 1404

You've used your luck up already! :winking:

That's good news, well done. Going to track this thread with interest over the season.

Had a real good weekend so far: Blackpool Southend and Ipswich all winning, plus had Bilel first scorer. Quids in i reckon about £100 profit. Bring on the new season:happy:

Congrats Jimmy and well done :thumbsup:

I've had a pretty good day too but like I said in my first post, i'll post an overall update on Monday. :cool:

For my next bet i've chosen the following:

West Ham v Cardiff City - Sunday 7th August 2011

Over 2.5 Goals - Odds: 1.90 - Stake: £20

Reason:

I was tempted to do two bets on this one with the thought that West Ham would kick off the season with a Home win. However, although the West Ham midfield is supurb for a Championship side, IMO the defence doesn't match that in terms of quality so I see them being vulnerable against strong attacking sides.

Considering they've gone down from the Premierpship, the addition of Kevin Nolan is absolutely fantastic and he will provide goals from Midfield which combined with the quality of Carlton Cole and Scott Parker (Temporary) will make them a huge force going forward.

Cardiff have lost alot of quality over the summer and with Dave Jones leaving too, it left the new manager and ex West Ham defender alot to do. They themselves have brought in some decent replacements with Kenny Miller and Robert Earnshaw great additions to the front line which will surely make them a force going forward.

Because of my worry for the West Ham backline and the fact I am yet to see them play this season, I would like to see them before backing them for a win.

Manchester United v Manchester City - Sunday 7th August

Draw - Odds: 3.30 - Stake: £10

Reason:

United have a good record in this down the years but they seem to have abit of trouble winning the game in normal time. I fancy United to win the league again this year but the gap between the Manchester clubs is minimal if any at all.

I see both sides cancelling eachother out here with the probable score being 1-1 but i'll stick to just doing the draw.

Week 1

Bets and Outcomes:

Hull v Blackpool - Friday 5th August 2011:

Home Win - Odds: 2.25 - Stake: £20 Single - LOSS
Under 2.5 Goals - Odds: 1.90 - Stake: £20 Single - WIN

Southend v Hereford - Saturday 6th August 2011:

Home Win - Odds: 1.83 - Stake: £20 Single - WIN
Mohsni To Score Anytime - Odds: 3.60 - Stake: £10 Single - WIN

Coventry v Leicester City & Burnley v Watford - Saturday 6th August 2001

Leicester and Burnley To Win - Odds: 3.66 - Stake: £10 Double - LOSS

West Ham v Cardiff City - Sunday 7th August 2011

Over 2.5 Goals - Odds: 1.90 - Stake: £20 - LOSS

Manchester United v Manchester City - Sunday 7th August

Draw - Odds: 3.30 - Stake: £10 - LOSS

Aberdeen v Celtic - Sunday 7th August - IN PLAY BET

Away Win - Odds: 2.00 - Stake: £20 - WIN

Balance At Start Of The Week: £100

Balance After Week 1: £120.67

PROFIT - £20.67 :happy:

Doncaster Rovers v West Ham - Saturday 13th August 2011

Away Win - Odds: 2.00 - Stake: £60 Single

I very rarely place a bet this far from kick off but at those odds and with Billy Sharp and James Hayter looking likely to miss this game after injuries against Brighton, I had to take it and with confidence.

Burton Albion v Shrewsbury & Plymouth v Rotherham - Saturday 13th August 2011

Away Wins - Odds: 6.15 - Stake: £15 Double

Same as above, the odds for the away wins here are excellent against a poor Burton side IMO and a Plymouth side who are lacking in quality against two of the divisions better sides.

Burnley v Burton Albion, Portsmouth v Barnet & Southampton v Torquay
Carling Cup 1st Round
Tuesday 9th August 2011

Home Wins - Odds: 3.03 - Stake: £20 Treble

Burnley v Burton Albion, Portsmouth v Barnet & Southampton v Torquay
Carling Cup 1st Round
Tuesday 9th August 2011

Home Wins - Odds: 3.03 - Stake: £20 Treble

I did the same bet, minus the Burnley match. Didn't expect Barnet to get the result they did! :thumbdown:

Best of luck Mighty Shrimper. That's a very ambitious target but it looks like you're off to a steady start.

I did the same bet, minus the Burnley match. Didn't expect Barnet to get the result they did! :thumbdown:

Yep, that's the Carling Cup for you :sad:

Thanks Uncle Leo :thumbsup:

Hopefully West Ham don't let me down this weekend.

Next Bet:

Oxford United v Cardiff City - Carling Cup 1st Round - Wednesday 10th August 2011

Half Time/Full Time: Oxford/Draw - Odds: 15.00 - Stake: £10

Back