• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who was the greater Southend legend

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Brilliant Cricko, simply brilliant video snatch. Recognised Tony Bentley with the group of players named, it really took me back.

PS It's a pity Alvin Williams had to make an appearance!
Great clip...... great to see Bentley
and Birks on the line behind Roberts .....seems like only yesterday

Some great memories about both players there for us SZoner's not around back then, but Cricko's post swung it for me.

He was and he sold me a cricket bat.

Mike Beesley was an early hero for me he signed in the summer of 1962, and I saw my first game inAugust that year. He seemed to score in every game after signing and I remember the press calling him goal a game Mike. I liked Beesley, but not even near my top 10 of forwards.

I liked Trevor Roberts, as others have said he was a lovely bloke and one of the best keepers we've had at the club, and he'll get my vote.

Yep that season Mike got 8 goals in his first 8 games, would have been nice if he could have managed 46 in 46.

Trevor Roberts is perhaps my all time favourite Southend player. He wasn't the best goalkeeper we have ever had although it is a close call, but to counteract that he was just one of the nicest people you could ever meet.

I first met him in the 60's over at Priory park, he always had time for a chat with us youngsters and the odd kick-about and he became my favourite player from those day's on. He is without doubt the one man that made me fall in love with this club and football at that time.I was sad when he left to go to Cambridge but he returned to the town to teach at Belfairs school and I often used to see him about.He always remembered me and stopped for a chat.

When I see some of the so called stars of football today hugging the media headlines and being paid ridiculous wages whilst inflating their ego's..I feel they maybe should take a leaf out of Trevor's book on how not only to be a footballer but how to act along the way.

One of the saddest days of my life and one that still brings a tear to my eye (and even writing this does) was the day I heard he had died.. It was the first death I had known for someone I had felt so much affection for and it was for me like a close member of my family had passed away.

So I suppose this poll will judge players on their skill mostly....If it was for the best ever Southend United Player based on skill and personality this would be a walkover.

Quite simply Trevor was and will always remain my hero.

R.I.P.

[video]http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=44361[/video] after the ad.

Great clip - those were the days despite the manager

Trevor Roberts for me, not only was he a great keeper, he was a teriffic bloke.

We used to throw toilet rolls over the goal from the North Bank, and he would throw them back, so we could chuck them again.

Trevor Roberts would be my grandfather if he was still alive. :)

Trevor Roberts was a good keeper and a great guy, But Micky Beesley gets my vote as I still see him in Thorpe Bay on occasions, and if I didn't vote for him, and he ever reads this then he would never let me forget it!

I think were ALL there for that awful 4-0 hammering from the sheep shaggers in November, 1968. It was their record league attendance (10,604). Owen Simpson thrashed a 30-yarder past Trev before he thrashed the bloke for a pen. Trev must have been good: we later signed Simpson. And he was back to his best just two months later as we beat the League Cup-winning Swindon 2-0 at their place.
Mike B's ginger nut is the only thing that stands out as a memory even though he played so many games. That and nicotine-stained fingers as he signed my programme.
PS. Didn't Trev also teach at Timberlog School in Basildon?

I used to see MB at the sports shop on leigh road and I seem to think TR was my sports teacher back in the day.

50 yard dash to slip it under their keeper against Thorpe Hall was my only claim to fame at school

Like everyone else on this thread I was at Layer Rd 1969. Funnily my memory of Trevor Roberts flooring a Colchester player was that he kicked him - memory plays tricks. Owen Simpson's 30 yarder that night was a terrific strike - with his right foot. After he signed for us he was so one footed - left foot - that this goal seemed a fluke rather than a great hit. Always liked Simpson though as he gave 100% every match, even when playing badly.

Trevor Roberts was my Grandfather

You are all extremely lucky to have known trevor roberts personally becuase my dad and i never did. trevor died when my dad was very young so he did not have any recollection of him. I wish I could have met him personally!

I was also lucky enough to not only see your grandfather play but I also got to know him quite well as this was the time when I started attending away matches on a regular basis, I also knew his wife Gillian?. Was your Dad's name Hayden?.
Trust me Trevor Roberts was a great goalkeeper but he also was a great guy who always had time for the supporters.
In 1972 just before Trevor past away a benefit match was played at the Abbey Stadium between Cambridge United v West Ham/Southend United for him and I believe the match ball is in the players room or it was up to a few years ago.

Back