• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Sacked from that joke club that is Liverpool.

Awaits comments that we should re-sign him.

So Rodgers does rubbish so they sack a coach.

Maybe his name was in an envelope....

Best all round player we had ever? Maybe... I thought he looked a different class to the rest of the team, when he played for us.

Best all round player we had ever? Maybe... I thought he looked a different class to the rest of the team, when he played for us.

He was amazing.

It seems unbelievable that we could pay half a million for a player back then...

Mad Cyril said:
He was amazing.

It seems unbelievable that we could pay half a million for a player back then...

Arguably we couldn't and we've only just stopped recovering from it?

What a player though... and the sort of signing you remember where you were when you heard it. I remember grabbing a newspaper to read on the plane as I was heading to some cheap and cheerful holiday destination at the time with my then girlfriend, now wife. On the inside back cover page, there was a tiny snippet simply saying "Southend United have signed Mike Marsh". The missus really didn't get what I was banging on about for the whole flight but I didn't give up.

Great times. Great player.

Arguably we couldn't and we've only just stopped recovering from it?

What a player though... and the sort of signing you remember where you were when you heard it. I remember grabbing a newspaper to read on the plane as I was heading to some cheap and cheerful holiday destination at the time with my then girlfriend, now wife. On the inside back cover page, there was a tiny snippet simply saying "Southend United have signed Mike Marsh". The missus really didn't get what I was banging on about for the whole flight but I didn't give up.

Great times. Great player.

Yup was incredible wasnt it. Probably the most excited (at least over a signing) I've ever been for us. Was literally shaking with excitement.

I think a few days later we were also being linked with Dean Saunders from Galatassaray too.

Marsh was ridiculously good though. I remember he used to see things and play little passes that often went astray as nobody else was on his wavelength and he'd just shake his head. But is one of my all time favourite Southend players.

I was in Istanbul during the 1998 world cup watching a game in the hotel lobby. The waiters asked me what team I supported and I replied Southend United. They were all Galatassaray supporters and thought Mike Marsh was great for them and they wouldn't let me pay for a drink for the rest of the night!

We broke him pretty quick though

Although the insurance money came in handy. IIRC he went non league after that and won the Conference with Kidderminster but couldn't go up with them because of the compensation he had received

Just Checked, he played 84 games ,

He also won the Conference with Boston and had to leave...

Last edited:

Agree 100% - best player we've had for his all round game. His goal at home to Ipswich is probably my favourite all time Southend goal

Although the insurance money came in handy. IIRC he went non league after that and won the Conference with Kidderminster but couldn't go up with them because of the compensation he had received

Maybe Corr has a similar clause that he can't paly any higher than L2 :smile:

I think he might work wonders with the likes of Jack Payne, great player and regarded as a very good coach by many

I think he might work wonders with the likes of Jack Payne, great player and regarded as a very good coach by many

The thing is that although he may be a very good coach I don't see a place for him in the Blues set up if Penney, Cocko and now maybe Barrett are still around, and for the moment that looks likely.

Not a chance. He only got involved with us coz he was a mate of Ronnie Whelan. At that time we were splashing around half a million transfer fees . Times have changed somewhat !!!!!

Ronnie spent our whole transfer budget for the season on him and I'm glad he did. His quality just shone and the winner he scored against Ipswich in the last minute to seal a 2-1 win was worth his fee alone. Great player with great scope and judgement in his game. Such a shame he got injured. He would have moved on but Graeme Souness than at Southampton had already put a bid of £750,000 in for him.

I think that was Ronnies, plan, if we sell, sell at a profit and move on with further investment. His injury scupered that one royally.

Mike Marsh is definitely one of the best players I have ever seen play for us

Yes, that was my understanding - he (Marsh) could no longer play league football because of the injury payout. I had never heard of it before and I am still not quite sure how such a restriction on earnings can be applied.

Last edited:
Back