• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mildy's quiet way of doing things

ElstreeBlue

Coach
Mildy had a great game against Hartlepool. He couldn't do anything about the two freak goals. Some people say he had little else to do. Well that's because he played so well in taking the sting out of the action.

How many times did he come for high crosses and there was little point in their players going for it as he was so dominant in the air? He knew when to come out and stifle any attack before it turned into something more dangerous. It wasn't just in the air either. There was one occasion when the ball was along the ground and he came storming out to smother it. Perfectly judged.

I remember a certain previous goalkeeper. Superb shot-stopper, which we all loved to watch. Maybe Ronaldo didn't! But never commanding in the six-yard box, let alone the rest of the penalty area. Very frustrating and his lack of dominance was the cause of many dangerous situations - some of which he saved superbly and some of which he didn't. Hardly ever came off his line or had the presence when coming for crosses.

One reason Mildy had such little to do against Hartlepool was because of...Mildy. Well done - great performance without doing much spectacular.

Good post and completely agree. Key player this season and is just as important as Barney. While his defensive record may not be great if you saw how many goals he prevented it would be hard to argue with such a mix and match defence in front of him

Was actually going to make a similar post myself.

I thought Mildenhall was outstanding and is rapidly turning into one of Tilly's best signings. The way he came for crosses was so important in ensuring we didn't have a jittery end to the game. A few seasons ago we'd have been camped in our own half for ages, instead Mildenhall calmly claims the ball and relieves the pressure putting us onto the counter-attack. His distribution is also superb. He is decisive when throwing the ball out and his kicks have us playing 20 yards further down the pitch than his predecessor.

Hartlepool having a complete joker in goal only emphasised Mildenhall's qualities more.

Obviously Roycie is a cut above anything else we've seen at Roots Hall over the last 25+years, but I think Mildenhall is turning into as good, maybe even better, keeper than Sammy and I don't say that lightly.

To be fair to Flinders, he apparently hadn't trained all week through illness or injury, however, Mildy is for me, one of the clear early contenders for PotY. He's been consistent and grown in stature and confidence - long may it continue!

After all the knee jerk crap after the departure of Flahavan it's good to see Mildenhall finally getting some well deserved credit. He's one of the best at this level and it's good to see his confidence growing all the time.

Noooooooooo, don't let him win POTy - you know what happens to the players that win that, they end up leaving the club at the end of the season

This is something I have said time and time again.

I'm just glad that people are beginning to give Mildenhall the praise he deserves.

From what ive seen i think he is one of the best in this league.

indeed. I often like to compare our players like-for-like against opponents, and I've yet to see anyone I'd swap Mildy for. He's been superb so far this season

Thought Mildy was very good again at the weekend, caught everything and looked assured. Does need to work on his consistency in his kicking though. Sometimes they are brilliant, but more often than not they are woeful.

What he did at the end of the Hartlepool game though was just genius and showed his experience. With 2 minutes left when the ball went into the South Lower he shouted for the fans to leave it, then was joking around waving his arms in the air saying they wouldn't give it back. Besides the fact it was hilarious and wasted a lot of time, it just shows the confidence he is playing with at the moment that he can have a laugh and a joke with the crowd whilst the game is still going on.

Firm favourite for POTY so far. No matter how many games Barney has won us, I think Mildy has kept us in far more!!!

Is anyone else a little bit surprised that Wiggy hasn't turned up on a goalkeeping thread?

has come good after a shaky start to his SUFC career, chelsea away seemed the turning point and has never looked back

He's been a quality keeper for us from well before that. That might have been the turning point when fans started accepting him though.

The only thing wrong with the start of his career here, was that he wasn't Darryl. There were a fair few of us who could see that was he was a significant upgrade on the vertically challenged one, but if the Darryl lovers had had their way, Mildy wouldn't be here now. The abuse Mildy took during the JPT game against the Saddo's was an absoulute disgrace IMO.

He's been a quality keeper for us from well before that. That might have been the turning point when fans started accepting him though.

I genuinely thought he was not all that for a while, certainly not a hater at the time just thought he looked shaky with his handling and didnt seem to save many shots where as he now dominates the box well and his shot stopping is as good as most, well done to the lad and probably a thank you to feds for showing how distribution from ya keeper can help so much

I genuinely thought he was not all that for a while, certainly not a hater at the time just thought he looked shaky with his handling and didnt seem to save many shots where as he now dominates the box well and his shot stopping is as good as most, well done to the lad and probably a thank you to feds for showing how distribution from ya keeper can help so much

Indeed. I'm amazed by how quickly Mildenhall managed to pick up that technique. The good players keep on learning and it is definitely to Mildy's credit that he managed to adapt his kicking style that he'd have been using for over a decade.

Back