• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Miller OUT! Whittaker OUT! Strauss OUT! Flower OUT!

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Bopara OUT :nope:
Panesar IN :stunned:

Amjad Khan is in for Sideshow at least, but the Windies go into this one without not only Benn, but also Hinds their main part-time spinner, which has got to tell you all you need to about this pitch.

It is unbelievable that England's response to a must win game is to play two bloody finger spinners.

Bopara OUT :nope:
Panesar IN :stunned:

Amjad Khan is in for Sideshow at least, but the Windies go into this one without not only Benn, but also Hinds their main part-time spinner, which has got to tell you all you need to about this pitch.

It is unbelievable that England's response to a must win game is to play two bloody finger spinners.

Unbelievable.

Even putting aside arguments of last in first out, we have a batsman who has looked scratchy to one who has scored classy tons in his last two innings.

The debate regarding who would be left out between Shah and Bopara has been an interesting one. A lot of people seemed to think it right to leave Ravi out as Shah 'deserved' his chance and it was best for continuity. I like Shah but he has looked fidgety (well more than normal) and lacking fluency, wheras Ravi knocked off a classy ton. Unfortunately the past 3 years is when Shah should have been given his run, but I fear his time has passed.

Whether Ravi could play at 3, or we wanted to push KP or Collingwood there is another debating point though. If they feel that is too high for him, than the best placed out all of this with Shah looking scratchy, is surely Michael Vaughan, who can come in at 3.

The choice of Panesar is a bit strange given the W.Indies selection. Lucky we have batted so we will at least have two spinners bowling 4th, but I did think Rashid may have added more to the team being a leggie and someone who knows what end of the bat to use.

Ambrose also took his chance but is straight back out for Daddy Prior

Ambrose also took his chance but is straight back out for Daddy Prior

Let's be honest though Ambrose took his chance when pretty much the whole team took their chance. I know he can only bat on what is in front of him.

On a slightly seperatae point, what is everyones view of Prior going home. On one hand the baby had already been born and was fit and healthy, on the other hand some things are more important then cricket.

I am sure if an accountant was working abroad and took a few days off no-one would care.

Let's be honest though Ambrose took his chance when pretty much the whole team took their chance. I know he can only bat on what is in front of him.

On a slightly seperatae point, what is everyones view of Prior going home. On one hand the baby had already been born and was fit and healthy, on the other hand some things are more important then cricket.

I am sure if an accountant was working abroad and took a few days off no-one would care.

Not being a Dad I guess it's hard to completely empathise. Generally I am not in favour of it, but in particular for Prior the baby had already been born so he missed the hard part of it. I understand that it is a right of theirs to an element of paternity leave, but I was surprised Prior went. I wonder what assurances he was given by the management about his place before he decided.

Going to be very hard work for the quickies due to the general lack of pace of the pitch.

Would indicate it may have been better to go with Rashid as Monty struggles when there is not much bounce for him. I do like Monty so really hope he comes good.....this match is a big opportunity for him to get back on track.

Swinging around a bit but it is a VERY slow pitch. Shah already had one that didn't carry to slip.

Sadly its not unbelievable, its totally believable. The same reasons we have won jack all since the Ashes in 05. Only with this bunch of numpty selectors could you hit a century and be dropped. If England actually had 4 decent bowlers you wouldnt have the argument of playing a 5th one. How longer can they keep persisitng with rubbish like Anderson. There must be bowlers in the counties who can take 3 or 4 wkts a test.
Bopara for me is 2nd to KP in terms of talent but England would rather take the conservative route. No wonder Giles Clarke got voted back in.

Another whitewash awaits in the Ashes. We should be blooding Bopara, Khan, Rashid into the team.

I think it was pretty poor show, not least because it wasn't even for the birth but then I'm not a father. The trouble is Strauss is in no position to criticise because he missed a game on paternity leave and went straight back into the team. Apparently it is now ECB policy that players can take paternity leave and I think it may even be written into their central contracts.

I thought Ambrose played well, but against some pretty poor bowling, he seemed to feast off the likes of Powell, Hinds and Nash - but that was only after being dropped.

Bopara was also dropped early, but more significant for me was his battle against Edwards, which was genuine test quality bowling.

Well from the start of this, looks like the spinners will be playing a lot.

Difficult to tell. Edwards seems to be struggling with injury and Powell and Baker aren't very good. As expected in the humid conditions the ball is swinging, which should offer something for England, even if it is a touch low and slow.

If it is low and slow, that makes it easier to play the spinners as well. Monty is pretty much useless without carry and recently has been useless even with carry.

If England are going to win tests, it is going to be with the seamers. Very, very few games are won by spinners, and even fewer by finger spinners.

Back