• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Milligan retires from international duty

I've hated reading the comments that have been posted here and online, particularly in response to the parody SUFC account on Twitter.

The bloke has led his country, he deserves a little more respect, however badly we feel he's played for us.

I’ve not posted any abuse but seriously what has he done to deserve any respect from Southend fans? Four world cups is impressive but he has effectively joined our club for one last pay day and is now ****ting all over our lounge carpet. It’s completely unacceptable..

I've hated reading the comments that have been posted here and online, particularly in response to the parody SUFC account on Twitter.

The bloke has led his country, he deserves a little more respect, however badly we feel he's played for us.

Which one is the parody account @OldBlueLady ?

I'm following most, so I better look out for the right ones. I didn't realise there was one.

Thank you. I hadn't seen that one and needless to say it's not on my 'follow' list. It's not on anybody's much by the looks of things.

I noticed Nick Alliker was on the OS twitter feed yesterday, challenging some of the comments made.

Agreed.

It's not the comment making, it's the nastiness.

Would it be said to their face in the RH car park. I very much doubt it!

It's a story of two sides and it is a familiar story for us as fans. We have a player who was a very good player but has come to us on decent pay and his legs have gone and he makes no meaningful contribution. It's age and isn't his fault, he has a contract which both parties agreed to so he is well within his rights to take that money. He can't expect fans to be happy with him in our team taking a top wage and offering nothing though. He can either take the money and live with that fact or if he wants to be liked by the fans he can say "my legs are gone, I can't deliver what I thought I could" and offer to terminate the contract. He obviously won't do that and I don't blame him, I'd take the money too in his position. I don't blame the fans for him being a target either, if he wants to avoid it he can.

That's funny as I had a dream last night we scored a last minute winner, it was a Hopper header, I don't know who we were playing but the celebrations were amazing .. I was in the East Blacks where I've never sat in my life .. what can all this mean??
More like nightmares u mean !!

Do you remember when Ronnie Whelan came to us, very much on last knockings of a wonderful career? Sometimes footballers need putting out of their own misery. The difference is that Ronnie could still communicate and effect those around him (Tilson being one that flourished). The player manager role was too big for him. In contrast Milligan just looks lost to me.

It's a story of two sides and it is a familiar story for us as fans. We have a player who was a very good player but has come to us on decent pay and his legs have gone and he makes no meaningful contribution. It's age and isn't his fault, he has a contract which both parties agreed to so he is well within his rights to take that money. He can't expect fans to be happy with him in our team taking a top wage and offering nothing though. He can either take the money and live with that fact or if he wants to be liked by the fans he can say "my legs are gone, I can't deliver what I thought I could" and offer to terminate the contract. He obviously won't do that and I don't blame him, I'd take the money too in his position. I don't blame the fans for him being a target either, if he wants to avoid it he can.

Hooper,in a similar situation,decided to quit.I take my hat off to him for that.So should M.

I thought Ronnie did OK here as a manager, helped by the sublime Mike Marsh. Probably one of the best players I've ever seen pull on a SUFC shirt.

Wasn’t Whelan injured in one of the first games of the season meaning he never played anyway? As I recall he used to admit he was winging it. It all went wrong in the end but he was a character, for sure.

Wasn’t Whelan injured in one of the first games of the season meaning he never played anyway? As I recall he used to admit he was winging it. It all went wrong in the end but he was a character, for sure.
Just dont challenge him to a drinking competition!

Portsmouth away - first game of the season.

That was 4-2 too iirc but people didn’t get so upset back then.

Good game.

It was. I was there that day, too. On the open terrace behind the goal, as it was then.

I thought Ronnie did OK here as a manager, helped by the sublime Mike Marsh. Probably one of the best players I've ever seen pull on a SUFC shirt.

Yes, Mike Marsh was at the end of his career but brilliant to watch at Roots Hall.

He was. Just had so much time on the ball in the chaos of the middle of the park.

Quality!

It isn't his fault that he was given a good contract, nor that he is no longer the player he once was but he is a passenger now in our team and we already have enough problems so I would expect that Sol will be looking to terminate his contract - thank you Mr. Bond and Mr. Redknapp - something else we can ill afford.

Back