• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Milligan

This thread got me thinking. Are any of Bonds signings any bloody good? I honestly can’t say a single one is.

None - but what did he ever know about players who are good enough for League 1. How many league 1 players/games had he seen? I presume he signed everyone on-line.

I quite like Nathan Ralph, like the rest of them though, he's being sucked into a failing team mentality.
I think Ralph is the worst left back ever to play for Southend in my 32 years of following the blues. Can’t tackle, weak positionally, can’t cross and can’t beat his man when going forwards. Sums up Scottish football when you see how poor he is, National League level at best in England.

All of Bonds signings are atrocious.

Got a feeling he's one of the players Sol has told to look for a new club in January. Just isn't working out for him here. Should be playing at the back or on the bench

I think Ralph is the worst left back ever to play for Southend in my 32 years of following the blues. Can’t tackle, weak positionally, can’t cross and can’t beat his man when going forwards. Sums up Scottish football when you see how poor he is, National League level at best in England.

**cough ** Peter Gilbert

Short memory or didn't you see Blackman?
Sloppy wasn't very good under David Webb, neither was Anthony Straker for 4 out of every 5 games.

**cough ** Peter Gilbert

There will be a number of worse left backs over that period, and these aren't the worst players we have ever had, or the worst team. They would be far better than many we have had whilst struggling in L2 over the years. As a L1 team they are probably the worst since we last went down and they weren't getting paid. In terms of results they are definitely the worst in L1.

Elvis is another desperately poor full back defensively. When will he ever learn how to cut out a cross?! Time after time. He's a liability.
What was he doing for the third goal on Saturday?

Elvis is another desperately poor full back defensively. When will he ever learn how to cut out a cross?! Time after time. He's a liability.
What was he doing for the third goal on Saturday?

I think he’s still learning, and I’m willing to give him some leeway, as he at leasts appears to care.

I think he’s still learning, and I’m willing to give him some leeway, as he at leasts appears to care.
That's a fair point GBJ, some slack but he has played enough games to realise he needs to sort that aspect, also going forward deliver the cross rather than trying to beat your man all the time.

No one in the team crosses the ball early enough at times

That's a fair point GBJ, some slack but he has played enough games to realise he needs to sort that aspect, also going forward deliver the cross rather than trying to beat your man all the time.

No one in the team crosses the ball early enough at times

Oh don’t get me wrong, I think his game needs a lot more work. He’s not the finished article by a long shot.

I think, when he eventually hits his peak, he’ll be an able full back at League One level, and possibly the Championship.

For all our problems, he’s not one I’m gunna lambast too much.

Other terrrible left backs - Warren May, Chris Ramsey, Frank Lampard Snr; George Parris;
I have said on here before about the time my son said to me "whats a pratt , Dad " , I said " why " he said " Shane Westley just called Frank Lampard one " , still makes me laugh .

Its worth remembering that as the top pundits regularly point out the days of full backs defending has long disappeared.

Thats because under so many current systems they are taught to bomb forward and attack from the age of 8 or younger. So most full backs under the age of about 28 will largely be clueless about actually defending well.

Oh don’t get me wrong, I think his game needs a lot more work. He’s not the finished article by a long shot.

I think, when he eventually hits his peak, he’ll be an able full back at League One level, and possibly the Championship.

For all our problems, he’s not one I’m gunna lambast too much.
I totally agree

Short memory or didn't you see Blackman?
Sloppy wasn't very good under David Webb, neither was Anthony Straker for 4 out of every 5 games.
Personally Blackman was shocking but not as bad as Ralph and yes we have had some other shocking left backs over the years, but at least they got stuck in and tried. Ralph just looks so ineffective and disinterested. However not fair to just pick him out as others are equally as bad. I bet Ralph is on a much higher wage than those that have gone before him!

Back