• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Milligan

There's something odd about the recruitment.
I would love to know who the agents were; what summer deals were hatched, and what was spent.
To get nought out of four takes some doing, even in our circumstances.
Ralph is a relegated player twice in a row, and first time with Woking!
Goodship is from Weymouth.
How in all that's holy did Bond or the club think a player would make a four-division leap and hit the ground running?
Have been wracking my brains to come up with ANY player who hit paydirt straight after the jump from National South to League One.
Blend that with players like Hyam, Mantom, Dieng, Lennon and Kiernan, and Milligan almost blends in seamlessly!

Personally, I don't even rate Cox any more.
Coxy fits that saying 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. At his age it's vital to keep the engine ticking over and the work rate up. This pre, pre season he contived to bollox his hamstring(s) with a personal trainer and as a result that essential pre season didn't happen. I doubt he will get himself to the level he needs now, but time will tell, he is, after all, a stubborn bugger.

Do you actually watch the games?

Chronologically :-

Blackpool
Stevenage
MK Dons
Rochdale
Orient
Fleetwood
MK Dons
Accrington
Gillingham
AFC Wimbledon
Doncaster
Ipswich
Portsmouth

Plus on ifollow :-

Peterborough
Shrewsbury
Tranmere

I normally watch the full broadcast after games whether I wanna there or not and I usually try to focus on one or two parts of the game.

I’d say that entitles me to have formed an educated opinion ?

Milligan isnt playing as well as he did early on (when everyone raves about him funnily enough) but he’s not what people are making out by a long stretch.

There's something odd about the recruitment.
I would love to know who the agents were; what summer deals were hatched, and what was spent.
To get nought out of four takes some doing, even in our circumstances.
Ralph is a relegated player twice in a row, and first time with Woking!
Goodship is from Weymouth.
How in all that's holy did Bond or the club think a player would make a four-division leap and hit the ground running?
Have been wracking my brains to come up with ANY player who hit paydirt straight after the jump from National South to League One.
Blend that with players like Hyam, Mantom, Dieng, Lennon and Kiernan, and Milligan almost blends in seamlessly!
Goodship is from Weymouth, seem to remember a player from Grays getting a hat trick on his debut I think he hit the ground running. Plenty of players from non league have made the jump and their are many more who can, must be a better option than signing someone way past their best on big wages, of which we’ve had a few recently

Goodship is from Weymouth, seem to remember a player from Grays getting a hat trick on his debut I think he hit the ground running. Plenty of players from non league have made the jump and their are many more who can, must be a better option than signing someone way past their best on big wages, of which we’ve had a few recently
so the difference being that we put the ball forward in the first minute and Committed players forward , hence why the chance. For Freddy happened .
we are not doing that at present then so how is a striker meant to score goals

Excuse me,,he shouldnt but along with all but Bishop, Bwomono, Hutchinson, Cox ,Hopper Kelman Kiernan and Huphreys THEY ALL should

Kiernan? He’s as bad as Lennon! My God this squad is just awful....

I’d keep Bwomono, Hutchinson, Cox, Hopper, Humphrys & Kelman for next year in League Two - for god’s sake please bin the rest Sol!

Last edited:
When Freddy came from Grays, they were one step down from League Two - not four! I'll repeat: tell me a player we signed, or anyone signed, to immediately make a four-division jump and succeed straight off the bat!

When Freddy came from Grays, they were one step down from League Two - not four! I'll repeat: tell me a player we signed, or anyone signed, to immediately make a four-division jump and succeed straight off the bat!

To put it in to perspective, it would be like Barry Corr (when in League 2 for us), smashing the Premier League up the next season

That's not quite right. When we signed Freddy, Grays were in the Conference South - two steps down from League Two. However that is a little misleading as we signed Freddy in early October a dozen games into Grays' season and they'd been in the Isthmian Premier League the previous season - the same level Weymouth were at last season. So the main difference is really that we were L2 then and L1 now. That's still a difference but I've always seen Goodship as a medium-longer term signing rather than one we'd expect an immediate impact from.

I think people’s judgement is being completely clouded on Goodship (and Milligan and Ralph for that matter) based on who signed them.....

There is nothing about Goodship that could be compared to a normal signing from Non League (and definitely not like a league 2 player jumping to the Prem!!)

His goal record at Weymouth wasn’t just that of a leading scorer with 25/30 goals from a 50 game season.....it was quite phenomenal....almost a goal a game over 80 games at any level is always going to attract a move. Add to that the fact that he had academy pedigree with Bournemouth where he played 23s football in a very good 23s team and also football league experience already albeit relatively brief.

As for his contribution this season up until people completely lost the plot on what Bond was trying to do Goodship (and Milligan and Ralph) were being touted as good signings.

He’s played off of both sides and through the middle, he’s had to adjust to full time football and contend with a couple of niggling injuries as well as a spell out the side....all completely normal teething problems coming from part time to full time football.

When you realise he’s played less minutes in less attacking roles than Lord Cox and yet he has scored more goals than him, it gives things a little context......Cox was still held up as one of our only players of league 1 standard recently!!!!

I think he’s done ok. I think he has talent. I think he’s found the last 6 weeks tough physically but I think he’ll have a good season overall and will be seen as a success.

Oh and by the way......his goal the other night, although crap goalkeeping came following 27 passes.....

I think the irony that we are moving back towards the type of football Bond wanted from us and was wholly criticised on here is being missed by many....and I find it quite funny. Football fans and their perceptions eh....****ing laughable sometimes

That's not quite right. When we signed Freddy, Grays were in the Conference South - two steps down from League Two. However that is a little misleading as we signed Freddy in early October a dozen games into Grays' season and they'd been in the Isthmian Premier League the previous season - the same level Weymouth were at last season. So the main difference is really that we were L2 then and L1 now. That's still a difference but I've always seen Goodship as a medium-longer term signing rather than one we'd expect an immediate impact from.
Exactly my point!
Goodship was thrown in at the deep end and floundered. Had he been brought up to speed and then given his chance, his confidence would be better, and he wouldn't miss sitters against Portsmouth.

I think people’s judgement is being completely clouded on Goodship (and Milligan and Ralph for that matter) based on who signed them.....

There is nothing about Goodship that could be compared to a normal signing from Non League (and definitely not like a league 2 player jumping to the Prem!!)

His goal record at Weymouth wasn’t just that of a leading scorer with 25/30 goals from a 50 game season.....it was quite phenomenal....almost a goal a game over 80 games at any level is always going to attract a move. Add to that the fact that he had academy pedigree with Bournemouth where he played 23s football in a very good 23s team and also football league experience already albeit relatively brief.

As for his contribution this season up until people completely lost the plot on what Bond was trying to do Goodship (and Milligan and Ralph) were being touted as good signings.

He’s played off of both sides and through the middle, he’s had to adjust to full time football and contend with a couple of niggling injuries as well as a spell out the side....all completely normal teething problems coming from part time to full time football.

When you realise he’s played less minutes in less attacking roles than Lord Cox and yet he has scored more goals than him, it gives things a little context......Cox was still held up as one of our only players of league 1 standard recently!!!!

I think he’s done ok. I think he has talent. I think he’s found the last 6 weeks tough physically but I think he’ll have a good season overall and will be seen as a success.

Oh and by the way......his goal the other night, although crap goalkeeping came following 27 passes.....

I think the irony that we are moving back towards the type of football Bond wanted from us and was wholly criticised on here is being missed by many....and I find it quite funny. Football fans and their perceptions eh....****ing laughable sometimes
Now that's what I call spin!
Sir, there's a few political parties in need of your help right now.
For what it's worth, I never touted any of Bond's signings as 'good'. Their background/pedigree was always a tad questionable.
Without going over the same ground, what did they have on their CV that was proven at this level?
Remember, the rest of the squad had just escaped relegation in the 87th minute of the last game.
Not mentioned here is Ridgewell: a bloke on the way out, and on the back of a crap season at Hull.
As said elsewhere, I'm OK with Goodship's potential, but straight in the deep end away at Coventry? The build-up to his Portsmouth goal was good, but as you implied: imagine Oxley letting that in!

I agree about Goodship; he's made a huge jump and he's done OK. Feel a bit sorry for him having to play out of position. I know he's played in wide positions before but playing there in League 1 is a hell of a lot more demanding than doing it in non-league.

I don't think comparing him with 'Lord Cox' is fair, though, considering Cox hasn't played in his natural role for several games either - think the last game was Tranmere, and in that game he set up Hopper's goal with a fantastic pass (although to balance it out he missed a couple of great chances as well).

Since I started this topic we seem gone off topic,but thanks to those who have commented about Milligan just to confirm it's not just me who thinks he is not up to the challenge.

I don't think Milligan has enough mobility to play in midfield at this level. I'm a bit surprised SC has presumably overlooked him as a sweeper in favour of Dieng, even if the latter has done ok there.

Back