• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Milligan

Some on here are very critical of the Club for not dipping into Non League for players. Especially when another Club usually Peterborough pick up some gems and sell them for a fortune.
Apart from Freddy it doesn't seem to work for us. However, Goodship was worth a try and it would certainly help if we played him down the middle.

I have ripped Milligan apart in this thread; BUT, too many good managers have obviously rated him in the recent past for him to be as poor an excuse for a captain or player as we have seen too often.
IMO it is very difficult to be fair in this abject car crash of a season & unbalanced squad.
And that applies to a few of our squad.
It is also a huge leap of disbelief and faith BUT I do not believe the squad is utter doggie doos AND that a few key players, in,a few knobs out, some stability and order, raised fitness levels AND we will be challenging for automatics next season in which ever league we are; likely as not Div 2.

I think people’s judgement is being completely clouded on Goodship (and Milligan and Ralph for that matter) based on who signed them.....

There is nothing about Goodship that could be compared to a normal signing from Non League (and definitely not like a league 2 player jumping to the Prem!!)

His goal record at Weymouth wasn’t just that of a leading scorer with 25/30 goals from a 50 game season.....it was quite phenomenal....almost a goal a game over 80 games at any level is always going to attract a move. Add to that the fact that he had academy pedigree with Bournemouth where he played 23s football in a very good 23s team and also football league experience already albeit relatively brief.

As for his contribution this season up until people completely lost the plot on what Bond was trying to do Goodship (and Milligan and Ralph) were being touted as good signings.

He’s played off of both sides and through the middle, he’s had to adjust to full time football and contend with a couple of niggling injuries as well as a spell out the side....all completely normal teething problems coming from part time to full time football.

When you realise he’s played less minutes in less attacking roles than Lord Cox and yet he has scored more goals than him, it gives things a little context......Cox was still held up as one of our only players of league 1 standard recently!!!!

I think he’s done ok. I think he has talent. I think he’s found the last 6 weeks tough physically but I think he’ll have a good season overall and will be seen as a success.

Oh and by the way......his goal the other night, although crap goalkeeping came following 27 passes.....

I think the irony that we are moving back towards the type of football Bond wanted from us and was wholly criticised on here is being missed by many....and I find it quite funny. Football fans and their perceptions eh....****ing laughable sometimes

You’re right about Goodship.

He is a good signing, and if given a run up front alongside a decent centre forward, he will do very well and score goals.

He has generally been played out of position since he joined.

I feel very sorry for him.

As you would expect, I can’t agree with the rest of your post.

Chronologically :-

Blackpool
Stevenage
MK Dons
Rochdale
Orient
Fleetwood
MK Dons
Accrington
Gillingham
AFC Wimbledon
Doncaster
Ipswich
Portsmouth

Plus on ifollow :-

Peterborough
Shrewsbury
Tranmere

I normally watch the full broadcast after games whether I wanna there or not and I usually try to focus on one or two parts of the game.

I’d say that entitles me to have formed an educated opinion ?

Milligan isnt playing as well as he did early on (when everyone raves about him funnily enough) but he’s not what people are making out by a long stretch.

Fair enough.

As a point of order everyone didn’t ‘rave about him’.

I reserved judgement because I expected him to improve.

He didn’t.

Wrong player, wrong time.

Don’t know about his attitude but I can certainly believe there is some substance to the rumours.

Interestingly, Waddock always spoke to Cox during the games and ignored Milligan.

Im not sure there was much else in my post to disagree with tbh - it was 99% Goodship.

You are right that Goodship has done OK but you also assert that judgement on Ralph and Milligan is being completely clouded based on who signed them......

As far as I can see judgement on Ralph and Milligan has been fairly based upon their awful performances.

Having re-read your post, I’ll admit that, sadly, you’re also correct about us moving back towards the type of football that Bond wanted from us.

This ridiculous playing around at the back was particularly evident on Tuesday and it just doesn’t work.

My opinion is that people are being kind to Campbell because he has only just arrived, doesn’t know the players and has inherited an appalling situation. Fair enough but playing around at the back, not pushing players forward and keeping most of the team parked in our own half once we are one, two and three goals (etc) down is not going to save us.

We are in the unusual position of not having to care how many we lose by because our goal difference is beyond repair. We need to be far more positive - we actually look OK to me when we go forward!

Last edited:
Ralph is a relegated player twice in a row, and first time with Woking!
Goodship is from Weymouth.
How in all that's holy did Bond or the club think a player would make a four-division leap and hit the ground running?
!

I don't remember Bond or anyone else, including most fans thinking that. In fact because that was the one area we had so called strength, most only expected a handful of sub appearances with the odd start.

I don't remember Bond or anyone else, including most fans thinking that. In fact because that was the one area we had so called strength, most only expected a handful of sub appearances with the odd start.
Exactly!
So why play him so quickly?
I said it the second he took the reins: Bond was, is and always be a No 2.
I think Ron was caught up with the euphoria of escaping relegation when he gave Kev the job.

After watching today's debarcall what does Sol sees in Milligan is beyond me.I know our squad is pretty bad but their must be better players than him.Wouldnt Hyam be a better option.He must be on the clear out list

Drop him, play Cox in midfield with Hopper and either Goodship, Kelman or Hump up top. MILLIGAN is so back and side pass it is unreal not a tackle in him. Goodbye in January sales.

Milligan offers nothing, not making him a scape goat said this from early in the season. Hiss passing is awful at best, his pace is 1 step forward and 2 back, his vision is non existent his shooting is worse than my nans (she has been dead 10 years) his tackling is below par as well. I cannot we ehow he gets picked

Milligan offers nothing, not making him a scape goat said this from early in the season. Hiss passing is awful at best, his pace is 1 step forward and 2 back, his vision is non existent his shooting is worse than my nans (she has been dead 10 years) his tackling is below par as well. I cannot we ehow he gets picked
Spot on, how this man is an international footballer is beyond me. He was atrocious today!

I felt really sorry for him today because he was so bad. Blimey, to think we used to criticise Kev Maher for backwards and sideways passes! :Stunned:

Apologies if it’s been asked before but has anyone got any info on him when he was at his best? Again poor today probably couldn’t believe his luck when some mugs in the English league one signed on a good wage, helps pay the bills

I have ripped Milligan apart in this thread; BUT, too many good managers have obviously rated him in the recent past for him to be as poor an excuse for a captain or player as we have seen too often.
IMO it is very difficult to be fair in this abject car crash of a season & unbalanced squad.
And that applies to a few of our squad.
It is also a huge leap of disbelief and faith BUT I do not believe the squad is utter doggie doos AND that a few key players, in,a few knobs out, some stability and order, raised fitness levels AND we will be challenging for automatics next season in which ever league we are; likely as not Div 2.
He has played for some good managers but he was younger and he could do more. HIbs fans said his legs have gone and he has lost his abilities, they were happy he left

One of the worst players to pull on a Southend shirt, and worst of all, doesn’t even look like he gives a ****.

Prob on a least £3k a week and he is ****ing ****! What length of contract did we give this waster?

One of the worst players to pull on a Southend shirt, and worst of all, doesn’t even look like he gives a ****.

Prob on a least £3k a week and he is ****ing ****! What length of contract did we give this waster?
Believe it was a one year playing contract, then he moves to coaching with us

Back