• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
On Saturday we go to the New Den looking for only our second win there since that glorious televised first League match there in 1993 - a wonderful 1-4 away victory.

The first win since that match was, of course, last season.

The referee and assistants for this match will be very familiar to all MOTD viewers with the team appointed for the EFL Cup Final at Wembley between Man Utd and Southampton being given a run out together for our game.

The referee in Andre Marriner from Sheldon in the West Midlands. Very experienced, a FIFA referee since 2009 and refereed the 2013 FA Cup Final. Had his good moments and bad under the weekly scrutiny of the TV cameras.

He has refereed Southend just once before during his long career, the away match at Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship back in 2006/7. A 3-2 defeat thanks to a last minute penalty. Hunt got both a goal and a yellow card, Eastwood just a goal and Bradbury just a yellow. One yellow for them. Gary Hooper was an unused sub - knew his career was going nowhere !!

His 24 matches this season, including two Europa League matches in Greece and one International in Macedonia, have produced 92 yellow cards and 5 reds, high by Football League standards but probably not for the games he's done.

Assisting will be his two Wembley "linos", Richard West from East Yorkshire and Stuart Burt from Northamptonshire. Fourth Official is another Select Group Assistant, Matthew Wilkes also from the West Midlands, specifically Dudley.

Mick, what is your opinion? a good referee or not so good... been in select group since 2005, so, must be regarded highly, and is also Fifa Cat 1 referee also (not quite elite!)! Not heard a great deal of controversy regarding his decisions to be honest..

Any reason that we are being assigned select group officials? as this is the second week in a row! - or is it a case that the "new blood" are getting the prem fixtures...

On Saturday we go to the New Den looking for only our second win there since that glorious televised first League match there in 1993 - a wonderful 1-4 away victory.

The first win since that match was, of course, last season.

The referee and assistants for this match will be very familiar to all MOTD viewers with the team appointed for the EFL Cup Final at Wembley between Man Utd and Southampton being given a run out together for our game.

The referee in Andre Marriner from Sheldon in the West Midlands. Very experienced, a FIFA referee since 2009 and refereed the 2013 FA Cup Final. Had his good moments and bad under the weekly scrutiny of the TV cameras.

He has refereed Southend just once before during his long career, the away match at Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship back in 2006/7. A 3-2 defeat thanks to a last minute penalty. Hunt got both a goal and a yellow card, Eastwood just a goal and Bradbury just a yellow. One yellow for them. Gary Hooper was an unused sub - knew his career was going nowhere !!

His 24 matches this season, including two Europa League matches in Greece and one International in Macedonia, have produced 92 yellow cards and 5 reds, high by Football League standards but probably not for the games he's done.

Assisting will be his two Wembley "linos", Richard West from East Yorkshire and Stuart Burt from Northamptonshire. Fourth Official is another Select Group Assistant, Matthew Wilkes also from the West Midlands, specifically Dudley.
Used to play village cricket with Stuart. Quite a shy guy so he's clearly grown a thick skin over the years. He refereed a couple of games I played in several years ago and was excellent so I'm not surprised he's become a top lino.

Annoyingly I'm in Northampton on Saturday celebrating a mate's 40th so won't be there to yell abuse at him.

Remember that Sheffield Wednesday away game so vividly. Was never a penalty in the last minute, and our coach broke down on the way home!

Utter utter rubbish. Such a homer. Got two key decisions wrong both in Millwalls favour. Last weeks was incompetent, today's was that and biased. So Angry I have wasted 50 quid and my day ruined because of him.

How he's got to such a high level of officiating I've no idea. Absolutely terrible. I'd be taking the Cup Final off him off the back of his performance today.

It was up the other end, so difficult to see exactly but all the players appealed and it's what Ferdinand got booked for after the final whistle.

Red card was fair enough. I don't personally think it was quite a red, but I don't think it was a terrible decision and can see why he gave it. The penalty shout looked absolutely stone wall.

Red card every day of the week every week of the year. Late, high and out of control. Easy decision. We'd have gone bonkers if that had been against us and a red not shown.

Penalty shout..... we were 150 yards away. So who knows ahead of seeing it on the telly.

Ferdinand was booked for giving the West Ham cross at the Millwall fans who'd been hurling abuse at him for the previous half hour

Harris says he didn't think it was a red card and Phil Brown says we will appeal. Doesn't appear quite so clear cut then?!

Red card every day of the week every week of the year. Late, high and out of control. Easy decision. We'd have gone bonkers if that had been against us and a red not shown.

Penalty shout..... we were 150 yards away. So who knows ahead of seeing it on the telly.

Ferdinand was booked for giving the West Ham cross at the Millwall fans who'd been hurling abuse at him for the previous half hour

Fair play to him for that. Worth the booking for a little payback.

Mind you, I've just seen Tom Elliott's sending off for Wimbledon.

What on earth was that ref on!

Back