• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
As we try to preserve our 100% record in all cup competitions against Millwall, the man in charge of tomorrow's match needs little introduction. It will be Simon Hooper from Swindon refereeing Southend for the seventh time in his 8th season as a League referee. On Swindon’s books as a junior he was released at the age of 16 and turned his attentions towards refereeing. He also represented Wiltshire at tennis and athletics in his younger days.

This will be his second visit to Roots Hall this season, having done the 2-1 home win over Peterborough when he started badly and improved slightly as the game went on. One yellow apiece, ours to Leonard.

Before that he was, of course, the man who refereed the Play-Off Final last year and who, in my opinion, did so rather badly. Someone must like him because he has already been given a Premiership match this season; suffice to say he probably won't get another one any time soon. Even after that poor performance virtually all his matches were Championship games until just recently; his last three matches being at Wimbledon, Crewe and Welling.

Prior to that final, his most recent Southend match was the unfortunate game at Mansfield the season before last when we lost 2-1 and had Clifford sent off along with yellows for Bentley, White and Barnard. Phil Brown went very public with his criticism of the referee on this occasion and it seems from the Wembley performance and since that Hooper still bears a grudge!

Before that it was the early season home draw with Northampton in 2011/12 - yellows for Mohsni, Grant and Phillips and 2 yellows and a red for them. His previous visit to Roots Hall was the match against Brighton (0-1) which I believe sealed our relegation in 2009/10. Only a yellow apiece, ours went to Moussa.

The other match was a win at Hereford, as always, in 2008/9 with all four yellows going to the home team.

He was also 4th Official at the away leg of our Orient JPT triumph en route to our last visit to Wembley.

His card count this season is a low 51 yellows and 2 reds from 21 matches, having been pretty average last season in this respect.

Assisting are Stuart Butler from Maidstone and Dumitru-Ravel Cheosiaua from Redditch. The latter, the Referees Appointments Officer for Worcestershire FA, makes his first visit to Roots Hall although he's done a few away games. Fourth Official is a "proper" referee, Andy Davies from Hampshire, in his fourth season as a Football League referee. He is a former professional with Portsmouth, Gillingham and Yeovil, who had to stop playing through injury at the age of 28 so turned to refereeing in 2003.

Very generous report of his performance vs Peterborough! Can't we have the "proper" ref instead?

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.
I still see that assault on Corr in the penalty area, him standing right in front of it, and then chuckling as he waved away the claims. Still makes me angry.

As we try to preserve our 100% record in all cup competitions against Millwall, the man in charge of tomorrow's match needs little introduction. It will be Simon Hooper from Swindon refereeing Southend for the seventh time in his 8th season as a League referee. On Swindon’s books as a junior he was released at the age of 16 and turned his attentions towards refereeing. He also represented Wiltshire at tennis and athletics in his younger days.

This will be his second visit to Roots Hall this season, having done the 2-1 home win over Peterborough when he started badly and improved slightly as the game went on. One yellow apiece, ours to Leonard.

Before that he was, of course, the man who refereed the Play-Off Final last year and who, in my opinion, did so rather badly. Someone must like him because he has already been given a Premiership match this season; suffice to say he probably won't get another one any time soon. Even after that poor performance virtually all his matches were Championship games until just recently; his last three matches being at Wimbledon, Crewe and Welling.

Prior to that final, his most recent Southend match was the unfortunate game at Mansfield the season before last when we lost 2-1 and had Clifford sent off along with yellows for Bentley, White and Barnard. Phil Brown went very public with his criticism of the referee on this occasion and it seems from the Wembley performance and since that Hooper still bears a grudge!

Before that it was the early season home draw with Northampton in 2011/12 - yellows for Mohsni, Grant and Phillips and 2 yellows and a red for them. His previous visit to Roots Hall was the match against Brighton (0-1) which I believe sealed our relegation in 2009/10. Only a yellow apiece, ours went to Moussa.

The other match was a win at Hereford, as always, in 2008/9 with all four yellows going to the home team.

He was also 4th Official at the away leg of our Orient JPT triumph en route to our last visit to Wembley.

His card count this season is a low 51 yellows and 2 reds from 21 matches, having been pretty average last season in this respect.

Assisting are Stuart Butler from Maidstone and Dumitru-Ravel Cheosiaua from Redditch. The latter, the Referees Appointments Officer for Worcestershire FA, makes his first visit to Roots Hall although he's done a few away games. Fourth Official is a "proper" referee, Andy Davies from Hampshire, in his fourth season as a Football League referee. He is a former professional with Portsmouth, Gillingham and Yeovil, who had to stop playing through injury at the age of 28 so turned to refereeing in 2003.

Hooper and his shortcomings has already been covered in the other Millwall thread.

He was in charge of the Welling v Carlisle game. Before hand I was astounded to hear PB rating him as a decent ref - this explains it, buttering him up. The BBC reporter after the game slaughtered him. I don't think I've ever heard such a consistently critical report on a ref's performance on Radio 5 by a reporter before, and unsurprisingly, it centered on the giving (to Carlisle) and not giving (to Welling) of penalties. Add in his performance refereeing Norwich (wrongly disallowed goal) and it seems to be not just us who have cause for complaint.

He was in charge of the Welling v Carlisle game. Before hand I was astounded to hear PB rating him as a decent ref - this explains it, buttering him up. The BBC reporter after the game slaughtered him. I don't think I've ever heard such a consistently critical report on a ref's performance on Radio 5 by a reporter before, and unsurprisingly, it centered on the giving (to Carlisle) and not giving (to Welling) of penalties. Add in his performance refereeing Norwich (wrongly disallowed goal) and it seems to be not just us who have cause for complaint.

He was fine tonight. Tried to let game flow. Took a while to start pulling Millwall up for constant holding but had control of the game, and didn't fall for any Millwall silly business.

It was lino on the west stand that was the problem! Especially when the Millwall guy tried to back pass to his keeper and Pigott intercepted it then the idiot lino put his flag up for offside!!!!

It was lino on the west stand that was the problem! Especially when the Millwall guy tried to back pass to his keeper and Pigott intercepted it then the idiot lino put his flag up for offside!!!!

Absolutely! Thought Hooper did ok.

Back