• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimperforlife

Director
Asking a respectful question here.... as we all held a perfect silence for the dead and injured in the terrible acts in Barcelona yesterday I didn't hear if that was to also remember our lost Shrimper John Stoten?
Any ideas if that was or are we to hold a separate one ?

I don't think it included him, we have an annual commemorative match where we pay a respectful tribute to all supporters who've passed in the last year, and names are flashed across the scoreboard.

Seem to recall that the club said they were arranging a suitable tribute with the family. They may not have wanted a minutes' silence or the decision may have been taken that he deserves one just to him without diluting the one held this weekend or vice versa.

i would prefer the minutes silence was once a year for the people who died fighting for our country ...

i don't think i am alone in thinking it would be nice to go to a game Without a minutes silence - all got a bit over sentimental and mawkish for my tastes ...

of course when i die i want the grass painted black - the bluebelles in burkas and my ashes INSIDE THE BALL ....

i would prefer the minutes silence was once a year for the people who died fighting for our country ...

i don't think i am alone in thinking it would be nice to go to a game Without a minutes silence - all got a bit over sentimental and mawkish for my tastes ...

of course when i die i want the grass painted black - the bluebelles in burkas and my ashes INSIDE THE BALL ....

Pretty sure all of us would want a game without a minutes silence, would mean no-one has been innocently killed or injured by acts of terror!!!!

Without wanting to appear insensitive if clubs held a minutes silence for every fan that died there would be a minutes silence before every game.

Without wanting to appear insensitive if clubs held a minutes silence for every fan that died there would be a minutes silence before every game.

Normally I would agree, but it's a bit different as John died at the game whilst watching the boys. It clearly had an effect on the fans, players and management. I think a minutes silence would be appropriate, but as manor said, it should be next home game. I'm not a fan of joint minute silences.

This is the Club's statement, taken from the OS:

Southend United Football Club are deeply saddened to hear of the passing of supporter John Stoten during today’s fixture against Blackburn Rovers.
The emergency services did all they could to save John but unfortunately, he passed away at hospital shortly afterwards.
The management, players, Directors and staff of Southend United would like to send their sincere condolences to friends and family of John at this difficult time.
In collaboration with John’s family, the Club will hold a minute’s silence to remember him before an upcoming home fixture.
We would also like to thank the support of fellow Blues fans who assisted the medical services.

The statement is quite clear that there will be a minute's silence at a future home game with the agreement of John' family. And I don't think it has happened yet.

Normally I would agree, but it's a bit different as John died at the game whilst watching the boys. It clearly had an effect on the fans, players and management. I think a minutes silence would be appropriate, but as manor said, it should be next home game. I'm not a fan of joint minute silences.
and that's what I thought..l next home game? I get the sentiment of joint silences, but he died at the game... but then after all it's not our business...

Minutes silences, to my mind, have got totally out of proportion. I blame the gnashing and wailing that followed Princess Diana's demise and the sentimentality that followed.

We did not used to have silences for IRA terror attacks, so why now ISIS? We did not have minutes silences for fans that have died, why now?

People have got so used to this mawkishness and expect the chance to shut up as soon as anyone dies.

Minutes silences, to my mind, have got totally out of proportion. I blame the gnashing and wailing that followed Princess Diana's demise and the sentimentality that followed.

We did not used to have silences for IRA terror attacks, so why now ISIS? We did not have minutes silences for fans that have died, why now?

People have got so used to this mawkishness and expect the chance to shut up as soon as anyone dies.

Because thankfully times have moved and only by the Grace of God, it could have been us, so one minutes respect is a small price to pay to the victims

May I politely suggest if it hurts or offends you to offer a minutes thoughts, then stand by the turnstiles and read your programme

UTS

Because thankfully times have moved and only by the Grace of God, it could have been us, so one minutes respect is a small price to pay to the victims

May I politely suggest if it hurts or offends you to offer a minutes thoughts, then stand by the turnstiles and read your programme

UTS

And victims of terror have what exactly to do with football? Hillsborough, Heysel, Bradford yes.

The original poster on this thread asked, respectfully, whether the one minute's silence on Saturday included a silent tribute to John Stoten, nothing else. Nobody on here appeared to know the answer to that question, the likelihood is it didn't. The Club have already announced that they intend to have a minute's silence for John at a future home game, so that's a given. It may be that some of these silences in general are becoming too frequent, similarly the one minute hand clapping, but that is the way society in general is generally reacting these days when displaying overt respect for an incident.

Personally I was surprised that the Club initiated it but nevertheless it's a nice gesture to honour a long term Shrimper who died at the game. I will willingly stand still for those 60 seconds, it's not a long time after all. (Apart from when the ref adds it on at the end of a game and we're just hanging on obviously, then it is a long time).

UTS

We don't get a choice as we were all in the ground. The minutes silence was never meant to be diluted to include everyone. Especially for events in other countries. War dead, football disasters and a round of applause for fans at the end of the year, will suffice for me.

The original poster on this thread asked, respectfully, whether the one minute's silence on Saturday included a silent tribute to John Stoten, nothing else. Nobody on here appeared to know the answer to that question, the likelihood is it didn't. The Club have already announced that they intend to have a minute's silence for John at a future home game, so that's a given. It may be that some of these silences in general are becoming too frequent, similarly the one minute hand clapping, but that is the way society in general is generally reacting these days when displaying overt respect for an incident.

Personally I was surprised that the Club initiated it but nevertheless it's a nice gesture to honour a long term Shrimper who died at the game. I will willingly stand still for those 60 seconds, it's not a long time after all. (Apart from when the ref adds it on at the end of a game and we're just hanging on obviously, then it is a long time).

I didn't know refs added on 1 minute for the silence :unsure:

Sounds harsh to say so, but I agree. They lose their impact if used too often. I was a little surprised that there was one on Saturday.

Of course, one still remains silent. Although a lot of people sounded like they were slow to stand up, so the noise of plastic seats flipping up could still be heard 20 seconds in to the 'silence'

We don't get a choice as we were all in the ground. The minutes silence was never meant to be diluted to include everyone. Especially for events in other countries. War dead, football disasters and a round of applause for fans at the end of the year, will suffice for me.

So unlikely to be a war dead one most years then, when was the last time we had a war in this country? Or are we arbitrarily distinguishing between military casualties and English/British people killed abroad in terrorist attacks?

UTS
Agree with this, a minute of being quiet is a small investment if others appreciate the mark of respect being shown.

Back