• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Minutes silence

Silence? Applause? Singing

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GBJ

⭐⭐
Staff member
As CS said, there was a minutes silence yesterday at Ipswich in recognition of Bobby Robson.

What i was wondering, what is better? Minute silence? applause?
or singing i.e. theres only one bobby robson...

Personally i think the Singing is the best idea. Closely followed by applause.

What do y'all think?

call me a fuddy duddy but it's got to be silence. It gives you time to reflect on someone's life. I'll never forget the minutes silence at Barnet for Sir Alf ramsey and you could hear the birds singing in the park. Much more moving than applause. Applause is just some new fangled modern idea.
Bring back the quill!
PS I was reading wikipedia on Bobby Robson and it says we wanted him as player manager before he moved to Vancouver in the late 60s. I've never heard that. Is it true or a wiki "truism"

What did we do at Southampton for Alan Ball? Do you know for the life of me I can't remember but I know there was singing at some point.

call me a fuddy duddy but it's got to be silence. It gives you time to reflect on someone's life. I'll never forget the minutes silence at Barnet for Sir Alf ramsey and you could hear the birds singing in the park. Much more moving than applause. Applause is just some new fangled modern idea.
Bring back the quill!
PS I was reading wikipedia on Bobby Robson and it says we wanted him as player manager before he moved to Vancouver in the late 60s. I've never heard that. Is it true or a wiki "truism"

You're quite right re Robson/Southend. A quote from "Sir Bobby Robson - Living The Game":

"The first offer he got was from Southend, two divisions lower than Fulham, and Robson followed it up by agreeing to meet with one of his cricketing heroes, Trevor Bailey...at the time a director at the southeast Essex club.

"Robson was not keen on dropping as low as the Third Division, even for his first job, and when he heard the salary on offer, considerably less than the £3,500 a year he was picking up at Craven Cottage, the job at Southend was never a serious consideration"

Last edited:
I am sure I heard on the radio yesterday there will be a minutes applause across all football league games next week.
I also prefer the silence, more poignant.

Silence most definitely. Robson is someone who unites all football fans, regardless of who they support. Applause I think is to drown out the idiots, and if any spoil the silence they should be roundly thrashed.

"Robson was not keen on dropping as low as the Third Division, even for his first job, and when he heard the slary on offer, considerably less than the £3,oo a year he was picking up at Craven Cottage, the job at Southend was never aserious consideration"[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification. Nothing changes :)

I think it all depends on the situation tbh. For some like Robson who had a great career and passed away at a fair age, i feel his life should be worth celebrating, ie a round of applause etc.

However, if we're talking about a footballer who's life was cut short at a young age etc, then a minutes silence is more appropriate imo as he hadn't had the time to live his life the way he should have and there for, not a lot to celebrate

What game was it last season, where we had a Minute silence for the young girl who died? The silence was deafening (apart from some little unruly ***** **** up ***** in the south lower) The game where Laurent came on and scored the winner with the glancing header?

Anyway, I agree with Stevie G, that in those circumstances, silence would be suitable.

But if you're saluting a true legend (not just football per se) then applause and singing would be more electric IMO.

Bobby Robson was a class act and a minute of silence is classier than a minute of applause.

I agree with stevie_g_g_g about it depending on the situation, but it's vice versa for me. Silence for a death later in life, applause, I feel, is more appropriate after the loss of a young life. I remember the applause for Kiyan Prince at QPR almost three years ago - that was spot on.

Bobby Robson was a class act and a minute of silence is classier than a minute of applause.

I agree with stevie_g_g_g about it depending on the situation, but it's vice versa for me. Silence for a death later in life, applause, I feel, is more appropriate after the loss of a young life. I remember the applause for Kiyan Prince at QPR almost three years ago - that was spot on.
I've voted applause as I think that's probably appropriate for Sir Bobby, as I can see him as the sort of person who would want us to show appreciation of the joy he felt for the game rather than reflect quietly on his passing. I would hope the FL, although they have announced the applause, will ask his family in due course what they feel is most suitable & the fans can then reflect that wish. However, given the ongoing nature of his illness, I suspect this must have been mooted in some sort of way.

As for the QPR youngster, it was supposed to be silence but I think thankfully the family accepted the tribute in the way it was meant.

Last edited:
I voted applause, if only to prevent some moron from breaking the respect of silence that sir Bobby richly deserves.

I prefer silence, I think it's more meaningful and moving and if any idiot doesn't observe it they can get found out. And clapping for a minute hurts your hands. But if applause is what his family requests I have no problem with that. I remember the two incidents at QPR and Southampton and they were both very moving.

Last edited:
I think I feel that silence is more a mark of respect in the case of a tragic loss, I have no problem at all in celebrating the passing of someone who has had a fulfilling and worthwhile life with applause. I think Sir Bobby himself would prefer the applause - it's more affectionate somehow.

As pointed out previously the silences are nearly always spoilt so the applause is a good alternative, however if possible i'd go with silence as its a time to remember and reflect

I am quite a traditionalist normally, but there have been two occasions which stick in my memory, both of which were a minutes applause.

Firstly, when we played QPR away in the Championship, there was a minutes silence for one of their youth team who was tragically murdered - It then turned into a minutes applause (initiated by our following I believe), and it was one of the most moving moments I can ever remember. The QPR fans were incredibly grateful for our part in it, and his family, who were at the game, were moved to tears.

The second occasion, as someone has mentioned, was the reaction for Alan Ball at St Mary's. Quite simply, I defy anyone not to have been moved to, or at least close to, tears during that minute (ten minutes) of appluaee ans ainging, it was absolutely incredibly, and summed up how everyone felt about a fantastic footballer - a celebration of his life, and a time to reflect on the wonderful things he did.

Sir Bobby, IMO, was one of the greatest men to have every been involved in our sport. A class act in every sense of the expression, and a man who was just totally infectious. Never heard a single bad word about him, and everyone who speaks about him always does so with respect and happiness. What would he want?.... Well, I don't know him personally, but he was ALWAYS cheerful in public, even during his battle against cancer, and I think a more fitting tribute in this case would be the applause.

I saw an interview with Kieron Dyer last night on SSN, and he was literally in bits - struggling to get through the interview without breaking down. He said he hoped everyone would have a minutes applause for Sir Bobby, and that's from someone who knew him extremely well - That's good enough for me.

Last edited:
Applause
Can't be ruined by some **** who decideds to start shouting in the middle and is more of a celebration.
Never seen singing done before

Back