• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mobile Phones

Mobile Phones - Could you live without one?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I haven't got one

• Total voters

steveh1510

Life President
As the Missus and I were in the cab to go to the station this morning I realised that in my rush I had forgotten my mobile phone. The missus was worried in case I couldn't contact her if anything happened, but it was too late to go back and get it. This lead me to think for years people didn't have mobile phones and only the last ten years, if that, have they become widespread, yet it never bothered anyone before.

So the question quite simply is could you do without a mobile phone? I'm not talking as in could you if your life depended on it, just day to day life, could you do without a mobile?

I don't think I could because of the trains....

I'm expecting it to be fairly split between the young and old(er). Personally, I have had a mobile all my adult life, and so have got used to relying on one, and I reckon a lot of younger posters will be the same....

Yeah probably. Although in some ways, it's worse if someone doesnt reply to your drunken texts than if they don't respond to your drunken answerphone message...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Jan. 26 2004,10:27)]Yeah probably. Although in some ways, it's worse if someone doesnt reply to your drunken texts than if they don't respond to your drunken answerphone message...
Ah yes, waking up in the morning and wondering what you must have texted that prompted a no reply!
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Jan. 26 2004,10:42)]You wanna get yourself a decent phone then!
I've got a sharp gx10 (the vodafone 'beckham' phone), but I can't find an option to automatically save messages, only if you do it for every message individually, and I'm too lazy for that!

laugh.gif

Whilst I've had a mobile for a long time - probably the best part of 7 or 8 years - I think I could manage without it. Whether I would want to is, of course, another story entirely.

The interesting thing is going to places (e.g. Japan, US) where a standard British mobile doesn't work. It's actually very liberating and refreshing to be on holiday, and to be uncontactable... it really is "getting away from it all"!

Matt

I think that any SZ'ers out there who work in the city, like a drink, and have to rely on Public Transport to get home, a mobile is a vital communication tool - how else are you going to phone the Chinese in advance so its ready when you step off the train?
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Jan. 26 2004,11:17)]Not if you've got Tri Band!!!
Pretty sure that tri-band doesn't work in Japan... there they have a system which is compatible with almost nowhere else in the world - very typically Japanese, not at all insular...

rock.gif

Admittedly, though, tri-band does work in the States... it's just that I don't have a tri-band phone!

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Jan. 26 2004,11:42)]
[b said:
Pretty sure that tri-band doesn't work in Japan... there they have a system which is compatible with almost nowhere else in the world - very typically Japanese, not at all insular...

rock.gif

Admittedly, though, tri-band does work in the States... it's just that I don't have a tri-band phone!

Matt
Now I'm no communications expert (that's Ninja's department) but I think you'll find tri-band does work in Japan.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Jan. 26 2004,11:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Jan. 26 2004,11:42)]
[b said:

rock.gif

Matt
Now I'm no communications expert (that's Ninja's department) but I think you'll find tri-band does work in Japan.
Ill be amazed if it does.

The Japanese cellular network is pretty much on its own. The only way round it is to rent a 3G phone whilst out there.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Jan. 26 2004,11:46)]Now I'm no communications expert (that's Ninja's department) but I think you'll find tri-band does work in Japan.
It doesn't, Scriv.

I was going to borrow a work tri-band phone to take with me when I went out to Japan on holiday; but after a considerable amount of research, we discovered that their system was compatible with a similar system in place in California... and that's it.  It's not on the conventional tri-band frequency, that's for sure.

Matt

Back