• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mobiles.co.uk

Supershrimper

First XI⭐
So I recently (Monday) went for a new sim only contract with Virgin Media and wanted a 1 month rolling contract. Was able to obtain this through Mobiles.co.uk and didn't seem to bad at first glance.

Contract I went for was unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 1GB of data (I mostly use data via wifi) all for £8.00 a month.

Received the sim, popped it in and then went to register my account. Couldn't register myself and instead had to contact Virgin Media who asked me for the security question that I provided when i set up the account (none was provided when I set the account up through mobiles.co.uk)

Finally managed to get into my account with Virgin Media only to discover that its a 24 month contract, unlimited texts, 1,000 minutes, 1GB of data for £63.00 a month. Thats a sim only contract, no phone was included. Needless to say I'm now in the process of cancelling the contract within the 14 day cooling off period.

Anyone else had any dealings / issues with Mobiles.co.uk I think they are a subsidiary of Carphone Warehouse

oh wow £63 per month for 1gb of data!!!! Even £8 is imo expensive!

I've only used mobiles.co.uk many years ago - no issues then.

If you'd like a referral code for smarty let me know - I think we both get a month free. For £8 you'd get unlimited minutes and texts and 3gb pf data. If you don't use all the data the next month they reduce the charge by a £1 per gb unused (or part of). So use no data and the next month the charge is £5. I think Smarty run off the 3 network and there is no contract, cancel anytime

Even at £8 that sounds very expensive for only 1GB unless you were getting 5G internet thrown into the deal, but if you've only got 1GB a month there's almost no reason you'd want to be paying extra for that.

I'm after a monthly rolling contract as I may be looking at getting a new phone around April / May so didn't want to be tied into a 12 / 24 month contract just yet

I've arranged to cancel this absurdly high contract now. Any suggestions welcome

Sorry to hear this Supershrimper. Have to admit I'm quite surprised as I got my current contract through these guys and they were very good. Shows how different people can have such different service from the same company.

I'm after a monthly rolling contract as I may be looking at getting a new phone around April / May so didn't want to be tied into a 12 / 24 month contract just yet

I've arranged to cancel this absurdly high contract now. Any suggestions welcome

As I said earlier Smarty are good if the 3 network reception is ok where you are. My son uses idmobile which is also good.

Edit - idmobile also uses the 3 network

Moved to Smarty and really cheap. Just the one drawback which i have just found out today.

I'm unable to ring the Southend United ticket office due to the number being 08444.

Edit. Found out that you can purchase "add-ons" at £5 a time which i have done. This is used purely for calls outside of my usual contract and will never expire. I can then choose (if i wish) to add this back to my account balance which reduces the payment down on my bill (£6 a month for 4GB of data and unlimited calls and minutes)

Last edited:
Back