• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Modern Art. Is it all toss?

• Total voters
some of the ****e that was on display at the Tate Modern when I went beggered belief, there was one room painted black with white chalk lines drawn on round the whole room.

Talented? No.
Thought-provoking? The only thought it provoked was "what the hell am I doing here?"

Other "exhibits" were a light-switch projected on to the wall and two tables sawn in half and stuck together.

Complete toss if you ask me.

There's plenty of great stuff at the Tate Modern, went last week- including Liechenstein's "wham" picture, a room devoted to Russian propaganda art, and a huge plug hanging from the ceiling. Art is supposed to get an opinion, so in that respect it has clearly worked.

some of the ****e that was on display at the Tate Modern when I went beggered belief, there was one room painted black with white chalk lines drawn on round the whole room.

Talented? No.
Thought-provoking? The only thought it provoked was "what the hell am I doing here?"

Other "exhibits" were a light-switch projected on to the wall and two tables sawn in half and stuck together.

Complete toss if you ask me.

Actually, I thought that room was excellent- just goes to show.

Are you thinking of the table and chairs which hadn't been cut out yet? If so, that was a bit odd, but very cleverly done.

Actually, I thought that room was excellent- just goes to show.

Are you thinking of the table and chairs which hadn't been cut out yet? If so, that was a bit odd, but very cleverly done.

when I was in that room I could see some people really interested and others, like me and the missus, looking around dumbfounded!

Sounds familiar that Naps but I distinctly remember a table where one half was different and bigger than the other.

There's plenty of great stuff at the Tate Modern, went last week- including Liechenstein's "wham" picture, a room devoted to Russian propaganda art, and a huge plug hanging from the ceiling. Art is supposed to get an opinion, so in that respect it has clearly worked.

I must say that when I first saw advertised that I though, that sounds interesting, must have a look, but the endless rooms of lifeless, drab "paintings" by so-called genuises (Pollock, Picasso) did enough for me to head to the pub.

I guess there are gems in ****e, trouble is the Tate Modern is stuffed with so much ****e it's like an overflowing toilet.

I don't think many modern artists are particularly talented - they just happened to be in the right place at the right time and be liked by the right people - just like Girls Aloud or HearSay.

I would imagine that few critics would be able to pick a new (and unknown) Damien Hirst out of a pile of undergraduate work.

I must say that when I first saw advertised that I though, that sounds interesting, must have a look, but the endless rooms of lifeless, drab "paintings" by so-called genuises (Pollock, Picasso) did enough for me to head to the pub.

I guess there are gems in ****e, trouble is the Tate Modern is stuffed with so much ****e it's like an overflowing toilet.

Then I urge you to go to the Hermitage in St Petersburg if you get the chance. Absolutely incredible collection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermitage_Museum

Then I urge you to go to the Hermitage in St Petersburg if you get the chance. Absolutely incredible collection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermitage_Museum

Second that, could have easily spent a week wandering around, devoting the time to some of the pieces that they deserved. Amazing place, remember seeing an absolutely tiny, tiny painting by Van Gogh, about 8" x 8" of a hedge and being absolutely fascinated by the skill and craftmanship in such a tiny, insignificant piece.

Those examples given in the first post sound very wrong in the head. Not all modern art is poor, but lots of it is.

pretentios!! MOI!!???

fukkin joke...give me a LS LOWRY any day...not

I'm more of a rennaisance man meself

pretentios!! MOI!!???

fukkin joke...give me a LS LOWRY any day...not

I'm more of a rennaisance man meself

Good call - love Lowry. I spent ages up at his so-named gallery in Salford a few years back. Head and shoulders over 99.9% of stuff in the Tate modern.

PS: How about "battle of the artists" next time :D We can show Millwall fans how cultured we are!

Seriously......would you stand and stair at a blank canvas if it was called modern art?

I bet i know a few people on here that would!!

art1.jpg

I'm sure its symoblic but **** knows what for though!

Last edited:
Good call - love Lowry. I spent ages up at his so-named gallery in Salford a few years back. Head and shoulders over 99.9% of stuff in the Tate modern.

PS: How about "battle of the artists" next time :D We can show Millwall fans how cultured we are!

Good idea, I will take Dali now

Ah Lowry, I wrote my Art A-Level Coursework essay on him. Even went up to the V&A to see some of his sketches in their archives, twas great stuff.

Battle of the Artists? Love It! I couldn't decide though! Bosch? Lowry? Warhol? Van Gogh? Leichtenstein? Hirst? Arrgghh! I wouldn't be able to choose one to nominate, esp as Dali's already gone ;)

I'm in for Battle of the Artists.

I'll take Edward Hopper, or David Hockney or maybe Gustav Klimt. Damn so many to choose from.

If Kandinsky wins it tho I'll go mental!

But if I want a nice picture hanging above my fireplace, I couldn't give a fig about the creative process or what the artist was thinking!

Then my friend, I suggest you don't go to a gallery to find it.

Gallery's on a national scale are generally all about being pioneering and different from the one up the road. The process nowadays often IS the art due to whats already been covered by the human remit. Take the current show at the Hayward, Psycho buildings. Some interesting ideas, some nice work, some utter bile. But it's challenging at least.

The reason Picasso ended up painting odd obtuse figures and angular fruit is that by the age of 20, he was already a better 'classic' draftsman than many of the greats, and wanted to push himself onwards and be different. And it took the world 30 years to catch up with him. I agree with you to a certain extent, too much modern art does rely on exposition to get to the point. But equally, if we had a crop of painters doing work akin to Rembrandt and Degas, wouldn't we just moan that they weren't very original? There are great painters out there still, and ones that do get recognition for it, but these things come in waves. For the last ten years, that wave has been abstract work, minimalism and sculpture / installation. But things are a-changing...

If you want a nice picture, I suspect you'd be better off going to the other Tate (which is very underrated), Leigh art fair or buying a print of something that came out about 45 years ago...

Back