• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

rlb999

We want 4 stands!
Stupid move for him. Think it sums up the lack of patience in football and the demand for immediate success. He had a great season at Villa and is suddenly worth £20m, while David Villa moves for just £4.4m.

It wasn't that long ago that a player would have to play well for 2-3 seasons before earning a decent move, now all you have to do is be English, young and play well for 4-5 games and the media is bursting to orgasm for you to get a call up and then 6 months later after you've gone to a bigger club for 10x what you are worth, the same "journalists" are slagging you off and making jokes like "how on earth did X get in the England squad!!".

Benteke should stay at Villa for another season or two or sit on his arse on the subs bench at a top 4 club. This is a World Cup year and he will need to prove to his national coach that he deserves to be in the squad. I saw Collymore tweet the other day that selling a good deal would be Benteke to Chelsea for £20m plus Lukaku going to Villa on a season loan. Imagine if Benteke didn't go to the World Cup, not only because he was on the bench for Chelsea, but as part of the deal that stopped him getting first team football, Lukaku stole his place by having another great season on loan at the same club he demanded to leave.

Another thing I want to say on the players who get rushed into the national squad, watch Gerard Deulofeu who is on loan at Everton this season. From the little amount I have seen from him, he looks like a real talent. Has hardly played for Barcelona and has no caps for Spain. Compare that to Oxlade-Chamberlain (same age), who has already made 12 caps.

Another thing I want to say on the players who get rushed into the national squad, watch Gerard Deulofeu who is on loan at Everton this season. From the little amount I have seen from him, he looks like a real talent. Has hardly played for Barcelona and has no caps for Spain. Compare that to Oxlade-Chamberlain (same age), who has already made 12 caps.

Bit of an unfair comparison, Spain are in the middle of a golden era we are far from that.

I think it's a very fair comparison, and Chappers makes a good point - there's a massive difference between form and quality. Rooney has quality, but sometimes struggles for form. Many players get a cap off the back of a run of form, but have little quality - there's a LONG list there for someone.

Raheem Sterling got a cap last season, simply because he'd had a few good games for Liverpool - that was on the back of media pressure. The problem for someone like Hodgson is that if he doesn't pick Sterling and the next game fails to win 5-0, the media will say he's an idiot. As it happens, Sterling quickly got back to the more serious business of fathering children, so the pressure dropped.

Bit of an unfair comparison, Spain are in the middle of a golden era we are far from that.

End, if the Confederations' final was anything to go by.

Unfortunately England got screwed over in the Champions League. We had a decent competitive leagues because of its depth beneath the top level not one of these joke leagues like Scotland or Spain where the same two teams won year after year.

Even in the early 90s in the early days of the EPL you had Forest and Norwich (and Jack Walker backed Blackburn) come from nowhere to contend for the title.

Other countries had boring leagues so they invented an expanded Fourth and Upwards Cup Knockout European Revenue Securing League.

It's killed the competitive balance in domestic leagues and turned them meaningless (domestic cups as well have been ruined - but only really England had a decent domestic cup competition in the first place).

I think it's a very fair comparison, and Chappers makes a good point - there's a massive difference between form and quality. Rooney has quality, but sometimes struggles for form. Many players get a cap off the back of a run of form, but have little quality - there's a LONG list there for someone.

Raheem Sterling got a cap last season, simply because he'd had a few good games for Liverpool - that was on the back of media pressure. The problem for someone like Hodgson is that if he doesn't pick Sterling and the next game fails to win 5-0, the media will say he's an idiot. As it happens, Sterling quickly got back to the more serious business of fathering children, so the pressure dropped.

I get the point and don't actually disagree with it, I just don't feel comparing us to Spain is particularly fair.

I get the point and don't actually disagree with it, I just don't feel comparing us to Spain is particularly fair.

Its not a fair comparison.

Spain have a quality first team, they have less need to give caps to their youngsters. If we had that level of quality throughout our senior players the Ox wouldnt have had half of his caps.

Its not a fair comparison.

Spain have a quality first team, they have less need to give caps to their youngsters. If we had that level of quality throughout our senior players the Ox wouldnt have had half of his caps.

Exact-a-mundo!

Ok it might not be a fair comparison, but what is the point in throwing a young player in because he had a decent couple of months and not letting him nurture properly to reach his full potential?

To me, that becomes a vicious cycle. National team lacks quality, young player has a decent couple of months, young player gets call up and plays, due to not being promoted through the ranks slowly the young player fades away, young player doesn't reach his full potential, national team still lacks quality.

Let's be honest, what would we lose out on if we let players like Oxlade-Chamberlain, Caulker etc. stay in the unders for a couple more years? They are hardly going to turn us from being an average side to being world-beaters. Let them stay in their age category squad and when they are ready, bring them up.

Oxlade-Chamberlain could have played in the under-21s tournament this summer, but instead he played a small part in a pointless Brazil friendly.

Ok it might not be a fair comparison, but what is the point in throwing a young player in because he had a decent couple of months and not letting him nurture properly to reach his full potential?

To me, that becomes a vicious cycle. National team lacks quality, young player has a decent couple of months, young player gets call up and plays, due to not being promoted through the ranks slowly the young player fades away, young player doesn't reach his full potential, national team still lacks quality.

Let's be honest, what would we lose out on if we let players like Oxlade-Chamberlain, Caulker etc. stay in the unders for a couple more years? They are hardly going to turn us from being an average side to being world-beaters. Let them stay in their age category squad and when they are ready, bring them up.

Oxlade-Chamberlain could have played in the under-21s tournament this summer, but instead he played a small part in a pointless Brazil friendly.

Who do we play instead? We dont have the senior players hence they play.

There is cleary something wrong in our system though when our good U21s dont play in the U21 competition as its "beneath them". They therefore miss out on the experience that would be useful when they do play in the senior side. Other countries like Spain seem to take the U21 tournaments seriously and I think we should be doing the same.

No full caps (yet) you mean.He's been capped at pretty much every other level for Spain (and indeed starred in the recent under-21 tournament this summer,which Spain won).His full international call up is just a matter of time.

End, if the Confederations' final was anything to go by.

Unfortunately England got screwed over in the Champions League. We had a decent competitive leagues because of its depth beneath the top level not one of these joke leagues like Scotland or Spain where the same two teams won year after year.

Even in the early 90s in the early days of the EPL you had Forest and Norwich (and Jack Walker backed Blackburn) come from nowhere to contend for the title.

Other countries had boring leagues so they invented an expanded Fourth and Upwards Cup Knockout European Revenue Securing League.

It's killed the competitive balance in domestic leagues and turned them meaningless (domestic cups as well have been ruined - but only really England had a decent domestic cup competition in the first place).

It wasn't because they had uncompetitive domestic leagues; it was because they wanted to secure more revenue from European football. You mention Spain - Real did indeed win five consecutive titles in the 1980s and Barcelona won four on the spin shortly thereafter. However, in the 80s Athletic Bilbao and Real Sociedad both won a couple. Elsewhere, six different teams won the Bundesliga in the decade prior to the Champions League coming about; likewise Serie A.

Milan's second round knockout of Real Madrid circa 1989 was a big catalyst as the powers that be were very unhappy that a big club like Real were out of Europe before Christmas.

I still agree with your general point though. It's a great shame that in leagues across Europe the number of potential champions is getting ever smaller. More money for the few at the expense of genuine competition.

These so called bigger clubs have for years been talking about forming their own european league, i say let them ,the game here will survive and prosper without them,but whether they will survive is another thing.

These so called bigger clubs have for years been talking about forming their own european league, i say let them ,the game here will survive and prosper without them,but whether they will survive is another thing.

Remember a Barca fan telling me a year or so ago, he thought that the midweek European games were much more interesting and compeditive that the weekly liga fare.In a set up like Spain's, I can see his point.

I understand what your saying Barna Blue ,but i think that if they did ever start up there own european league ,i personally dont think it would have the blessing of their respective associations,and without that i think it would be doomed to fail.All the associations would if they are seriously against it ,by-pass them when picking players for their national squad, meaning there would be no World Cups or European Cup tournaments for those players.And it is every players dream to play in the World Cup finals afterall.

They've already done it, it's called the Champions League and the revenue they rake in from it means they're unlikely to fail to qualify for next season's tournament.

Modern football has become tedious with only a few clubs capable of winning the prizes,Think I am correct that only 5 clubs have won the prem which is boring.

Modern football has become tedious with only a few clubs capable of winning the prizes,Think I am correct that only 5 clubs have won the prem which is boring.

Its always been like that though. Liverpool dominated the 80s' then Man Utd since, with the likes of Arsenal having a little flurry until Chelsea got in the money.

Recently its actually been a little more competitive with 3 teams, Man U/City and Chelsea, but the relegation battle is generally more interesting for me.

This season coming however is possible the most interesting season ever. Arsenal aside all the top teams have changed managers so the title chase is actually looking to be pretty open.

Back