• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

cluniemore

The Wee Birdie
A wee birdie told me to waylay any fears about bilel, at the minute that media coverage is agents politicing and trying to remind any keen manager. He emphasises that bilel like any player at southend has a southend price because like any team in div two and most of div one must be a selling club. But he told me to say it would be our price and that its his job to unearth or mould the next batch of gems , get good service out of them till there sold.This is the reality of the modern game, with the new stadium and hopefully promotion would make us a team who didnt need to sell.That does not mean all our assets would be sold he wants to assure the fans keep the faith.

Well that would be (largely) my view - the financial benefits of getting promotion outweigh the valuations being considered by other fans.

And I am scratching my head and slightly wondering what the point of the official site is? A slightly tongue in cheek question but perhaps you get the gist?

I hope there is not a rift between Sturrock and other club officials ..........

Well that would be (largely) my view - the financial benefits of getting promotion outweigh the valuations being considered by other fans.

And I am scratching my head and slightly wondering what the point of the official site is? A slightly tongue in cheek question but perhaps you get the gist?

I hope there is not a rift between Sturrock and other club officials ..........

Must show how the manager feels about the importance and popularity of the Zone, especially as new players join the club we seem to get their family members join the Zone.

Of course we are a selling club.

Every club with the exception of maybe man city barca etc who dont need to sell are a selling club.

Even utd had to sell ronaldo.

The problem is getting the right price. So many poor players go for way more than there worth whilst others go for a fraction of what they are worth , not just in a financial term , but there value to that team.

(ie) If someone were to offer 250k for Hall it would be a fair price , but he is worth far more than that to the team.

I dont envy the chairman or manager when such bids arrise. They are damned if they do and if they dont .

You also have to consider that not selling may harm a players form and subsequent future value (ie) the barnard situation.

I think and hope that all of the players will be here at the start of the season , plus one or two welcome additions.

A big plus for the club would be to have a fit Corr and Eastwood firing on all cylinders as with them in the side i think we have every chance of gaining automatic promotion and financially put bums on seats.

As for Mohsni its clear he has the class to play a higher level of football , but inconsistancy and temprament let him down.

If PS can get him performing regularly then he will be a huge asset.

I don't think that the policy at the club has changed in the last few months, when I remember reading a similar story, that every player at Southend had a price. IIRC, it was muted at that time, we may risk having to sell one of the squad. It would be nice to think that was Grant but as he wasn't exactly 'sold' I have my doubts.
I think the great majority of our supporters would sadly accept the description of us being a 'selling' club and the only caveat I would add is that, if someone is sold, I hope it is done sufficiently early so as it allows 'le petit oiseau' enough time to find a suitable replacement. :whistling:
I am in agreement with Tommy2holes, in that I don't really believe our situation would change, even if we were in a higher division or a new stadium. Someone with a better memory than me could probably provide a list of the players we sold, when we were in League One and perhaps even the Championship.

If we aren't a selling club why do we have a market in the car park?

You don't go to Real Madrid or AC Milan and see a butcher with a microphone trying to whip the crowd into a frenzy so he can knock out £10 BBQ packs of pork.

Last edited:
If we aren't a selling club why do we have a market in the car park?

You don't go to Real Madrid or AC Milan and see a butcher with a microphone trying to whip the crowd into a frenzy so he can knock out £10 BBQ packs of pork.

Good point - specially during the summer - far more entertainment than watching spanish football ........

The discussion the other week about the official club website being used as a revenue stream first and a point of information for supporters second, replacing news with marketing - something that some people rather shamefully advocated - may have had an effect on the number of recent posts.

Must show how the manager feels about the importance and popularity of the Zone, especially as new players join the club we seem to get their family members join the Zone.

Do they still do this "nominated fanzine" thing whereby you can publish fixtures for a very nominal fee (it used to be £1 + VAT) ?

At the risk of contradicting myself, I wonder if the club would consider selling Moshni if (and what a big if that would be) it meant the club could finance the signing of Freddie ........... a significant bung - sorry, signing fee could help sway Freddie's agent .......

Back