• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Molesley In or out. (Poll added)

In or out

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting read and I couldn’t agree more. No manager in the world could come in and do better. I trust that Mark Molesley is the man for this job and I think he’ll be here for many a year
I think it’s a little early to call that one all things considered, let’s just get through this season first.

An interesting read and I couldn’t agree more. No manager in the world could come in and do better. I trust that Mark Molesley is the man for this job and I think he’ll be here for many a year
Why do people keep saying that, is this nostradamuszone?

No manager in the world can do better than Mm? How can that opinion possibly be justified?

How can anybody possibly know if a different approach would or would not yield better results. I dont recall people saying, "nowone could get better results with this squad then dick bate."

Im genuinely astonished that people are so accepting, and willing to put the clubs entire future in the hands of this relatively unknown manager and team of unknowns, waving the white flag before december.

Last edited:

No manager in the world can do better than Mm? How can that opinion possibly be justified?

How can anybody possibly know if a different approach would or would not yield better results. I dont recall people saying, "nowone could get better results with this squad then dick bate."

Im genuinely astonished that people are so accepting, and willing to put the clubs entire future in the hands of this relatively unknown manager and team of unknowns, waving the white flag before december.
But the club cannot afford to sack and therefore by doing so puts the club even more at risk of future failure. I don’t doubt MM is a good manager. We shall reassess on e the embargo is lifted and he’s had a few games.

People, such as yourself, are willing to let him go but question others who think he should stay? I get the results would normally mean a manager would be sacked, but these are not normal parameters and therefore he needs (and deserves) more time.

Genuinely don’t know how anyone can blame Mark Molesley for the position the club finds itself in. We’ve had a few mangers who have tried and failed and the common denominator in all this is the financial ****storm that we find ourselves in thanks to RM. The manager is not the cause of our league position, the problems are far higher than that

But the club cannot afford to sack and therefore by doing so puts the club even more at risk of future failure. I don’t doubt MM is a good manager. We shall reassess on e the embargo is lifted and he’s had a few games.

People, such as yourself, are willing to let him go but question others who think he should stay? I get the results would normally mean a manager would be sacked, but these are not normal parameters and therefore he needs (and deserves) more time.
Im not necessarily advocating change as mm has his hands tied by rons crap leadership. But this is not relegation from l1 to 2, this is non league we're talking about. Non league for sufc? Thats a nightmare.

It just grinds my gears when people say that nowone in the world can do better thats essentially saying mm is the best manager in the world.

Last edited:
Genuinely don’t know how anyone can blame Mark Molesley for the position the club finds itself in. We’ve had a few mangers who have tried and failed and the common denominator in all this is the financial ****storm that we find ourselves in thanks to RM. The manager is not the cause of our league position, the problems are far higher than that
Im not blaming him at all. He's got a terrible hand. I know weve been through managers lately. But imo kevin bond and sol arent what i would classify as proper managers.

I just cant buy into the whole "nevermind, poor mm" mentality. Sufc was here long before MM. He will move on, us the fans of many years will be gutted and face non league football. Im proud of my club and mock people who support prem teams they live hundreds of miles from. But i cant lie, being in the proper football league is very important to me.

Last edited:
MM is not the best manager, but this squad has to be one of the worst professional squads there is. That’s the problem.

I hate the fact that Southend could be playing non league football next year...I mean its Southend United for gods sake! But with the squad depth RM has afforded us, I do not think that even Jose, Klopp or Pep could churn out results with this squad.

I’d hoped for so much better this season but it’s a sad time to be involved with the club. I trust that MM will, given time, bring a positive mood back to Southend, be it in the National League or otherwise

Im not blaming him at all. He's got a terrible hand. I know weve been through managers lately. But imo kevin bond and sol arent what i would classify as proper managers.

I just cant buy into the whole "nevermind, poor mm" mentality. Sufc was here long before MM. He will move on, us the fans of many years will be gutted and non league football. Im proud of my club and mock people who support prem teams they live hundreds of miles from. But i cant lie, being a proper league is very important to me.
It seems we share the same sentiments but with differing opinions. I hope MM is given time

Fwiw I think MM is getting the maximum out of the squad he has at his disposal.

We have been unfortunate in games we should have collected points and outclassed in others.

The biggest disappointment for me was the Exeter game. But for a worldy on the stroke of full time we would have collected 3 points.

Even against FGR we had chances and wasted them. That has been the difference.

At times we have played some very nice football.

If the embargo gets lifted and Akinola and the other striker comes in, then chances get finished and points get earned.

There is a fine line between success and failure. Ours is the inability to field a striker that can find the net.

MM can't be blamed for that.

totally agree with you sleep walking into national league

I think MM is getting off very lightly on here, yes the financial situation hasn't helped but neither do some of his tactics of transfer choices. He has signed/loaned in three wingers but is playing one of our better players on the left wing out of position and chose to let Barrett go without looking at him. Anybody looking at our squad at the start of the season knew we needed some physical presence as the back and he brought in a ball playing center half to a dog fight.

We are also still letting the same type of goals in each week so staying late looking at the stats is not working either, maybe they should try to coach the players more and improve what we have.

The fact is whatever the -reasons or excuses, the table does not lie. We have a number of seasoned professionals in the side - Oxley, White, Demetriou, McCormack - with hundreds of league appearances between them, plus a newly capped international in Bwomono who has clocked up over 100 starts. The others are either premiership loanees or our own youngsters deemed worthy of a professional contract plus a formerly prolific non league striker. The manager's job is to get a winning blend out of what he has got at his disposal and on paper this squad is not the worst in the world, not title contenders but not non league favourites either. Yes, there are glaring weaknesses but a manager more experienced at this level could surely turn things round. Week after week we lose and it's always through lack of that sureness of touch, whether in regard to goal chances, or defensive weakness that costs us dear. The club is poorly run with an asset stripper in charge only concerned with his twenty year obsession, but on the pitch the buck stops with the manager. Has any other club in the history of the football league persisted with a manager for so long with such an appalling run of results?

He had a striker on the bench who had previously scored our only goal enough said!

Have you read other posts? He wasn't training for 2 weeks due to having to self-isolate after testing positive for COVID-19. That's why he didn't start. It's really quite simple.

Has any other club in the history of the football league persisted with a manager for so long with such an appalling run of results?

Yes. Wycombe persisted with Gareth Ainsworth a few years ago in exactly the same league position, without the constraints that MM is under. It’s worked out ok for them hasn’t it? There will be many others too.

I think MM is getting off very lightly on here, yes the financial situation hasn't helped but neither do some of his tactics of transfer choices. He has signed/loaned in three wingers but is playing one of our better players on the left wing out of position and chose to let Barrett go without looking at him. Anybody looking at our squad at the start of the season knew we needed some physical presence as the back and he brought in a ball playing center half to a dog fight.

We are also still letting the same type of goals in each week so staying late looking at the stats is not working either, maybe they should try to coach the players more and improve what we have.

His choices were completely limited by the embargo and the one in one out policy needed, one of these wingers has now returned to Barnsley, another is one of our best players in ANG. Sterling wasn't first choice, Hobson is a young CB who shows promise and has improved in the last few games. KT and Olayinka are clearly very talented. I'd say his transfers have been pretty good under the circumstances.

Also, he did take a look a Barratt, and decided against offering him a deal. If he was still with us I doubt he'd be having as good a season as he is at Maidenhead, players often need to play in a good team to succeed, we are not a good team.

Fwiw I think MM is getting the maximum out of the squad he has at his disposal.

We have been unfortunate in games we should have collected points and outclassed in others.

The biggest disappointment for me was the Exeter game. But for a worldy on the stroke of full time we would have collected 3 points.

Even against FGR we had chances and wasted them. That has been the difference.

At times we have played some very nice football.

If the embargo gets lifted and Akinola and the other striker comes in, then chances get finished and points get earned.

There is a fine line between success and failure. Ours is the inability to field a striker that can find the net.

MM can't be blamed for that.
Completely agree. People need to focus on processes and not results. With a semi-competent forward line we would be doing a lot better. If we switch the strikers from both teams last Saturday, it's likely we win that game not lose it 3-0.

MM is doing the best he can with the hand he has been given. He can be fairly criticised for signing Sterling as one of his 23 when Akinola is stuck unregistered but that's about it - and even that, in the context of the time when we were short on bodies, would be a little on the harsh side.

totally agree with you sleep walking into national league

Except we're not sleep walking into it are we? Our eyes are open. This club has been utterly wrecked from the top down for several years. We are a big club at this level yes, but unfortunately getting a lot of fans through the gates in normal times (note that COVID is a great leveller in this respect) and having a reputation for league football means nothing. If you destroy any club like ours has been, there's only one direction of travel. The annoying thing is the protests are too late. The real time to be asking questions should have been when we were signing the likes of Kightly, Kiernan, Turner, Ferdinand etc on big wages with no resale value. But we didn't. And that has resulted in where we are now.

You could put absolutely anyone in charge and the situation would be the same. Why not try and keep the current manager (who does have his faults as they all do) who at least seems to be respected and liked and is showing some progress despite still, four months into the job, not being able to field the side he would like to.

The guy has been in charge four months, and people are expecting him to arrest a four-year slide.

I don't think people are "just accepting" relegation but realistically, we're a weaker squad than has ever been seen at this level of football. You can't just ask players like that to be better no matter how good a coach you are.

Oh for ****'s sake. I absolutely promised myself I would not lower myself to post on this thread and I bloody well have done now.

Also, he did take a look a Barratt, and decided against offering him a deal. If he was still with us I doubt he'd be having as good a season as he is at Maidenhead, players often need to play in a good team to succeed, we are not a good team.

No one knows that he looked at Barratt and decided against offering him a deal. It still hasn’t been widely considered that the club did in fact offer him a deal but Barratt himself decided it wasn’t suitable for him and opted to accept an offer from another club....possibly one which was better financially and personally.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back