• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Molesley In or out. (Poll added)

In or out

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If he's better on midfield, why was he part of our best defensive run playing at the back?

I named players who could play CB, Dieng can play CB can't he, yes, therefore I included him. You are claiming he can't play there!!
The last 3 games where we kept clean sheets Dieng was playing in midfield...

I never said he couldn’t play there. I just said he was a midfielder!

MM has had several months and been allowed to sign (I believe) 13 players. Players are being paid, there is no embargo and no outstanding winding up order. How can he be absolved of responsibility for 3 home losses in a row at the bottom of the bottom division half way through the season? Its his (largely) players and his tactics now. Plenty of clubs in Lg2 will have bigger structural problems than the ones he has to deal with. He just has to do better than two of them and that is very much in the balance. Hopefully he is learning and improving but he needs to very quickly. Talking about processes and projects comes across as meaningless drivel that put simply are the responsibility of any manager. To set the tone, recruit and utilise the resources available effectively. It doesn't need a powerpoint presentation.

MM has had several months and been allowed to sign (I believe) 13 players. Players are being paid, there is no embargo and no outstanding winding up order. How can he be absolved of responsibility for 3 home losses in a row at the bottom of the bottom division half way through the season? Its his (largely) players and his tactics now. Plenty of clubs in Lg2 will have bigger structural problems than the ones he has to deal with. He just has to do better than two of them and that is very much in the balance. Hopefully he is learning and improving but he needs to very quickly. Talking about processes and projects comes across as meaningless drivel that put simply are the responsibility of any manager. To set the tone, recruit and utilise the resources available effectively. It doesn't need a powerpoint presentation.

Can;t really disagree with that , there has been plenty of signings and we did briefly improve and folk were praising MM, me included , but he needs to be accountable for the subsequent dip in form, tinkering of tactics and changing formations .

Will someone please explain to me what the definition of ’a proven goal scorer’ is ,and if it is what I think it is ,why do you think he would join a club in 92 position !????

Elvis and Oxley I agree with but thought White was awful last night. Arguably responsible for all three goals by charging out and missing tackles.

I didn't think so but obviously you're fully entitled to your opinion.Having seen the match "highlights" I'm not sure I'd agree with your second point,either.It's fair to say though that 3 at the back is not working for JW or anyone else atm I think.

I didn't think so but obviously you're fully entitled to your opinion.Having seen the match "highlights" I'm not sure I'd agree with your second point,either.It's fair to say though that 3 at the back is not working for JW or anyone else atm I think.

Agree on 3 at the back not working. Not sure if White was told to attack the ball whilst the other two stayed back, but it didn’t work. First goal he wasn’t helped by Hobson’s poor header, but seemed to let his man run straight past him. 2nd and 3rd he just pushed up to try and squeeze them and they went straight past him. He’s been great this season but don’t think that was one of his better games.

Well it will probably be someone who has fallen out of favour where they are, not getting games, but has experience and a history that shows they can score goals. Of course given where we are the answer as to why other than game time is as old as the hills- it will have to be worth their while in terms of ££- yes people make moves for the craven pursuit of ££ and not a lot else. We can either stump up the ££ or stump up ££££££ by getting relegated. Very unpalatable choice but its the reality of where we are.

Agree on 3 at the back not working. Not sure if White was told to attack the ball whilst the other two stayed back, but it didn’t work. First goal he wasn’t helped by Hobson’s poor header, but seemed to let his man run straight past him. 2nd and 3rd he just pushed up to try and squeeze them and they went straight past him. He’s been great this season but don’t think that was one of his better games.

There was a comment to that effect on BBC Essex last night.

I noticed that Richard Taylor was bullying the defenders in the brief time he was on yesterday and he has done that before. It might be worth MM saying to him that he is going to get a full game as a centre forward and his job is to bully the opposition and be a nuisance, just as you say. It would probably not work, but there's only one
I noticed that Richard Taylor was bullying the defenders in the brief time he was on yesterday and he has done that before. It might be worth MM saying to him that he is going to get a full game as a centre forward and his job is to bully the opposition and be a nuisance, just as you say. It would probably not work, but there's only one way to find out.
Although I’m not over keen on this idea I would much rather have him up front than Halford

Honestly, MM and his team are the best asset this club currently possesses. They will undoubtedly go on and manage at a higher level; whether it’s with this club or not remains to be seen. He certainly got his tactics wrong tonight, but let’s be clear - the last three games have all been decided by poor decision making at key moments by the players, not by poor tactical calls if we’re being honest. I don’t think Mark would have asked us to defend like that and whilst I’m against the back 5, it was the individual errors that cost us 3 goals not the opposition unlocking our tactical frailties. It’s time for the players to step up and take responsibility for their own actions.
Blimey we’ve found one. Mark is pretty clueless when it comes to winning games under pressure. 3 home games and few shots on goal, not a great watch when you are bottom of the League......what will he serve up against Port Vale.....will it be R.Taylor, will it be Acqua......toothless rubbish and people on here still defend it!

Been thinking about this.You were obviously paying a lot more attention to our defence than me.

Agree about Hobson's poor header for the first,thought Rowe was superb for their second (he started and finished the move to score,after being unlucky with two long range efforts beforehand.No question that if we had a player like him we wouldn't be where we are now.It's a cliche but goals change games.rather thought our defence had given up by the time of the 3rd goal (as had I tbh).As someone elsle has pointed out we do have an unfortunate tendency to give away goals at the beginning of the 2nd half which is obviously costing us big time.

Agree with with your last comment btw.

Last edited:
Been thinking about this.You were obviously paying a lot more attention to our defence than me.

Agree about Hobson's poor header for the first,thought Rowe was superb for their second (he started and finished the move to score,after being unlucky with two long range efforts beforehand.No question thati f we had a player like him we wouldn't be where we are now.It's a cliche but goals change games.rather thought our defene had given up by the time of the 3rd goal (as had I tbh).As someone elsle has pointed out we do have an unfortunate tendency to give away goals at the beginning of the 2nd half which is obviously costing us big time.

Rowe was excellent. We’d probably have double the amount of goals on the board now if we had a player like that! I noticed that too, we seem to concede goals at the worst times sometimes. Not sure if it’s a lapse of concentration or they get a bit nervy and make silly mistakes. Incredibly frustrating.

Agree about Hobson's poor header for the first,thought Rowe was superb for their second (he started and finished the move to score,after being unlucky with two long range efforts beforehand.No question thati f we had a player like him we wouldn't be where we are now.It's a cliche but goals change games.rather thought our defene had given up by the time of the rd goal 8as had I tbh).As someone elsle has pointed out we do have an unfortunate tendency to give away goals at the beginning odf the 2nd half which is obviously costing us big time.

If John White had talked to Hobson he could have comfortably let it go. Reminded me of the silent Kiernan allowing Lennon to get in trouble last season. Same result, fans blame the wrong man.

Same for the Mansfield goal. Who couldn't see their lad would cut inside Halford, just like me and you discussed about Reeco. Other teams would have spotted that and shuffled over to double up. We are conceding some 'October' type goals at the mo.....Strikers are no use if you concede 3 in a game.

If John White had talked to Hobson he could have comfortably let it go. Reminded me of the silent Kiernan allowing Lennon to get in trouble last season. Same result, fans blame the wrong man.

Same for the Mansfield goal. Who couldn't see their lad would cut inside Halford, just like me and you discussed about Reeco. Other teams would have spotted that and shuffled over to double up. We are conceding some 'October' type goals at the mo.....Strikers are no use if you concede 3 in a game.

Yeah, I seem to remember BBBC Essex's commentator making a similar point.Certainly with 3 at the back there doesn't seem to be as much communication at the back going on as there should be.

As we all know though, good strikers change games.Look at Rowe on Tuesday.If we can get back to our early December form when we weren't conceeding and if we can sign a striker in the window or get Reeco and Akinola firing then maybe we'll make that vital 22nd place.That's a lot of ifs though.

Last edited:
Three at the back often leads to too many cooks syndrome- especially when the opposition completely predictably has a system with one up front. If you plough on and still select 3 CBs you have a combination of after you Claud in terms of who picks him up combined with the certainty of knowing you will be over run in midfield- all of which predictably happened.

Three at the back often leads to too many cooks syndrome- especially when the opposition completely predictably has a system with one up front. If you plough on and still select 3 CBs you have a combination of after you Claud in terms of who picks him up combined with the certainty of knowing you will be over run in midfield- all of which predictably happened.

Spot on KB, especially when one of the three only rolled into town the day before.:Highfive:

Think this is true for Hobson, who has been excellent in a 4 at the back and just gets on with the job of defending. With a switch to 3, he seems hesistent and not quite sure where he needs to be, and that split second of indecision is costing him at the moment.

We looked so much better with Dieng and Hobson at the back and lord knows why MM has AGAIN switched formations seemingly just to shoehorn in John White like he's bloody Bobby Moore or something. Really dont get the White love-in at all. Good pro and all that, but he's days are gone.

But devastating to lose 3 at home in a week and thats on one person - MM. Deviated from a gameplan where we were putting a run together and at times over that week, the players didnt seem to know what they were doing. Have no idea what he was trying to do Tuesday... was 5-4-1, but the 4 were in a 'box' behind Sim... its just too much for this league. Keep it simple. The 4231 was working. Get Reeco and ANG wide, Sim is an excellent front man for that formation and let skillful runners come from deeper. Even put Acquah up top and let Sim run from deep and create more.

We were saying Tuesday, the senior players must be chatting amongst themselves wondering what on earth MM and his novice team are up to each week.

Cant see MM turning it around now, he tinkers too much. Theres no point getting rid of him now sadly, as I think we are doomed, so may as well stick it out and see what the conference brings.

But I also said on Twitter Tuesday, I would not have been surprised to see Martin get rid of him after those 3 defeats. Would be a very 'Martin' thing to do and another 'Martin' move would be to look at someone like Ian Holloway to try to get us out of this whilst we are still in touching distance.

This has always been my biggest issue with JW, is that he seems very quiet at the back, and doesn't seem very good at organsing players. He's suppose to be the experience back there, and when you see defenders diving in, he should be having a word with them, telling them to stay on their feet; hold the guy up etc.

Then what makes matters worse, is he then dives in for their 3rd goal; he really should know better - that's why AF was so good for us; he didn't need to dive in, just read the game and stayed on his feet. IMO White should be doing a similar role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back