• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Molesley Sacked, Phil Brown until End of Season

A quite spectacularly stupefying last throw of the dice from Martin, but precisely the kind of move a 'seat of the pants' chairman he has been/become would make.

I've been a bit removed from the malaise of the last few years - I can probably count the number of times I've been able to watch us in the last three seasons on two hands - but what I have seen has been, by and large, utterly listless. This decision compounds that in my opinion, and regardless of how successful Brown is in averting what must be considered a doomsday scenario, removing Molesley and handing the reins back to the man who, by Martin's own admission is responsible for an awful lot of this mess, is typical of a club that now has little direction, ambition, identity, resources, options... need I go on?

I watched the fan representative meeting with Martin a few weeks back. The financial/ownership situation and discussion around that was effectively redundant. Nothing's likely to change. But some of the discussion around the actual football element of the club was fairly interesting to hear, not least of all Martin's continued praise of Molesley's work ethic, commitment, character and the impact that has had not just on the playing staff, but the club as a whole.

When Martin took the entire summer to appoint him, wasn't the entire reason that the appointment must be correct? That it must be the right man to essentially gut the club, exorcise the ghosts of the past four years and start anew, with a proper culture, philosophy and identity?

We're what, eight months into that rebuild. How many of those months did Molesley spend working with one, if not two hands behind his back? How many times did we miss out on players due to an embargo? How many times did we not act quick enough in the transfer market due to a lack of proper CEO at the club? How often did players turn us down, despite being offered more money, because of the absolutely stinking reputation the club and Martin have within football circles? How many times was Molesley's philosophy trodden on by movements elsewhere?

Make no mistake, Molesley's not completely without blame here. Some of the football that's been served up has been dire. There are times when he's been naive (probably none more so than when he accepted the job here, some may argue...) and his cautious/risk averse tendencies have led to an entrenched style of football that would have possibly seen us survive had we started the season with the current crop of players, but is not what's been needed.

But if Martin wanted a style of football that embodied the vision of the club, then this is exactly what he's got. Utterly directionless dross that's been undermined by his own ineptitude from the start. This season is what the ownership deserves, and the fans are just being taken along for the ride. The truth is, this is barely a football club anymore. It's a Frankenstein's Monster of a team. Trigger's Broom FC, where every last working remnant has been sold off, shipped out or alienated, and replaced with something that might bear a passing resemblance to what was there before it, but is no real relation.

I think its very fair to say that many peoples views of MM and PB are first and foremost coloured by their view of Ron. The more anti-Ron the more MM is absolved of any blame or responsibility, and the more anger there is regarding the appointment of PB.

Taking Ron completely out of the equation many clubs in L2 have changed managers this season, managers who have performed better than MM at clubs with their own issues. Including those around us like Barrow and Colchester. Sometimes two changes of manager. In nearly all cases the managers get the vote of confidence until they suddenly don't, and the replacement is already lined up. Nothing remotely unusual I'm afraid.

So back to Ron, to say he has acted appallingly is an individual judgement, but if you believe that then you also believe most chairman likewise behave appallingly because this happens. How many manger have Colchester got through this year?

I'm thinking Phil would love nothing better than to be strutting like a peacock on the side of our bobbly pitch tomorrow, complete with perma-tan, open-necked crisp white shirt and a sharp suit. Alas I fear it will be freezing, avec howling wind and rain (more suited to an upturned coat and a flat cap). I hope that does not affect his dynamic.

Some advice for PB to win favour on SZ:

1. Don't ever say the words 'project' or 'process' in interviews
2. Don't ever pass the ball out from the back. The GK must always kick the the ball out of his hands straight to the opposition. Same goes for goal kicks.
3. Don't ever carry an ipad or heaven forbid a notebook.
4. Tom Clifford plays no matter what.
And no bobble hats

I thought that too ( Not that it is any of my business!) If PB keeps you up that’s great, but if you go down the club will be beating the drum for PB’s promotion army. There will be many more season passes sold with PB at the helm instead of MM and a general feeling of optimism all round. Clever stuff from Ron, he knows all us fans are suckers for some positive news!
I'd love that to be true CaP, but I have yet to see this situation in a positive light.

I'm thinking Phil would love nothing better than to be strutting like a peacock on the side of our bobbly pitch tomorrow, complete with perma-tan, open-necked crisp white shirt and a sharp suit. Alas I fear it will be freezing, avec howling wind and rain (more suited to an upturned coat and a flat cap). I hope that does not affect his dynamic.
What will be good is that he has promoted both Ricky Duncan and Craig Fagan to the first team. Both deserve to have their chance in the dug out. PB also kept GC last time around. Happy to work with people who know the club and players- doesn't need to be bringing in his own back room staff. Good financially but having these two so closely involved is a wise move.

If anyone is interested, a stopped/halted process is a suppression (or in maths - a stochastic process). So MM was not sacked, relieved of his duties etc.....he was suppressed. I hope his next process works a little better for him.

Interesting stuff. very interesting. I can see this going one way and it's Phil Ricky and Craig keep us up. The new stadium is begun in the summer and Phil and Craig sign 4 year contracts and management team. We are back in the championship by summer 25 with a new ownership made up of Henrik, Dirk Kuyt, and Tony the tiger

Can I have some of what you're smoking please?

I think its very fair to say that many peoples views of MM and PB are first and foremost coloured by their view of Ron. The more anti-Ron the more MM is absolved of any blame or responsibility, and the more anger there is regarding the appointment of PB.

Taking Ron completely out of the equation many clubs in L2 have changed managers this season, managers who have performed better than MM at clubs with their own issues. Including those around us like Barrow and Colchester. Sometimes two changes of manager. In nearly all cases the managers get the vote of confidence until they suddenly don't, and the replacement is already lined up. Nothing remotely unusual I'm afraid.

So back to Ron, to say he has acted appallingly is an individual judgement, but if you believe that then you also believe most chairman likewise behave appallingly because this happens. How many manger have Colchester got through this year?

You can't take Ron out of the equation though, that changes the complete outlook of the club and have us in a place where we woulnd't need to appoint PB

Back