• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Molesley Sacked, Phil Brown until End of Season

I watched Ron in the recorded meeting praise MM a number of times. When he was asked about paying back the season card money he knee jerked and suddenly said that everyone could have their money back. I can conclude two things:
1) I no longer believe an ounce of what RM says.
2) He is in fully fledged panic mode.

Good luck Phil and best wishes Mark. What an embarrassment of a club we support.

Do I like how this was done- No
Do I agree with the timing - No
Do I trust a word now from Ron's mouth - No
Would PB be my choice of replacement - No
Did I have faith that MM would save us from relegation- No
Do I think MM would be a good manager to start next season with- No

Was this correct decision - I'll tell you at the end of the season.

Now confirmed that it was half way through the season that PB was offered the job rather than before MM was appointed. If Ron thought a change was needed half way through the season then why didn’t he bring somebody else in rather than wait for months until Phil Brown became available for a mere 6 games?

Lots of interesting comments on the forums of other clubs. Here is one example from Barrow:

"Molesley as far as I can tell never put a foot wrong in his dealings with the press or his squad. He actually gave the club a modicum of respect. And I'd forgotten about Ranger having already being there before and leaving under a cloud. Strange how history repeats itself. Who did Southend then appoint to replace Brown? Powell, Bond and none other then Sol Campbell and in so doing virtually bankrupted themselves.

Not a club that in retrospect is easy to like."

And from Grimsby's forum:

"Anyone who listens to Undr the Cosh knows that nobody in football seems to have a good word to say about Phil Brown and this is a prime example of why. I know Ian Holloway is a swear word on here now, but he has the respect for fellow managers to never talk about a job when there is a manager still in the job or it hasn't been disclosed that the caretaker won't get the job full time. Phil Brown clearly doesn't. He spoke to the Southend Echo when Mark Moseley's sacking hadn't been made public.

Former Town loanee Andy Todd famously battered Phil Brown at a team building trip when Todd was at Bolton and Phil Brown was Sam Allardyce's assistant. He broke his jaw and cheekbone and according to Big Sam he "could not see his tan for blood and his face was swollen up like the Elephant Man."

"Nothing to lose has he - he either takes them down as expected & gets no blame, or keeps them up and is a hero. Probably on a decent incentive to keep them up too."

Good luck to PB, this should have happened in January, I just hope we manage to stay in L2, sorry MM was not the right appointment from day one .

I just love the way we have let coaching talent like Luke Hobbs and Mark Bonner slip through our fingers and we have now employed a "yesterday's man" like Brown who will solicit himself at every opportunity given half the chance. Good one Mr Chairman

Lots of interesting comments on the forums of other clubs. Here is one example from Barrow:

"Molesley as far as I can tell never put a foot wrong in his dealings with the press or his squad. He actually gave the club a modicum of respect. And I'd forgotten about Ranger having already being there before and leaving under a cloud. Strange how history repeats itself. Who did Southend then appoint to replace Brown? Powell, Bond and none other then Sol Campbell and in so doing virtually bankrupted themselves.

Not a club that in retrospect is easy to like."

The thing is though, even if that is most probably true, it's so unquantifiable and irrelevant to football. Where all that matters is results.

Sure, MM is a lovely, genuine fella. But the fact is he will be in history as having the third worst win percentage of any Southend manager. In fact, MMs win ratio is literally no better than Sol Campbells.

I am well aware of PBs relationship with Mark Phillips & Barrett. Funnily enough, when he had problems with Phillips that was the year we got promoted, and when beef with Barrett was happening we ended up on a massive unbeaten run. Go figure?‍♂️

For example we never hear the end of what an awful bloke Steve Evans is (rightly so) but yet he is up in league 1 chasing a play off spot with Gillingham. Why? He gets results.

Ian Evatt at Bolton, absolute ****house of a fella, got Barrow in the football league and now in the playoffs with Bolton.

Lampards 'project' binned from Chelsea, now actually going places under Tuchel. Artetas position at Arsenal under threat also.

We all love the sound of a 'philosophy' or a 'project' but at the end of the day, they only work if you get results. I imagine football as a whole is mostly likely starting to transition away from this theory and reach the middle ground again, getting over the line on a Saturday afternoon.

So yeah, hearing that PB is marmite literally couldn't bother me in the slightest. This is football, not a popularity contest.

Phil brown is 1 of those characters who will always divide opinion even if he successful.

1 thing you can't knock phil brown for is his enthusiasm, passion and wanting to prove people wrong.

Certainly loves a challenge, and he got 1 with us........ hope he successful. UTB!

This shows you how desperate Ron is to give Brown another role of the dice just like he did Ranger.

From what I can recall the last time Brown worked in English football he managed Swindon out of a promotion opportunity so I'm not overly optimistic but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Say what you want about MM but he took probably the toughest job in the Football League, was dealt a huge amount of bull **** and was nothing but committed to us. Thanks Mark.

I get the moaning at RM i really do, and I’m not pro RM but neither am I anti RM, but in the meeting what else could he do but give MM his backing. Do people expect him to say we are looking to replace him, do people expect him to say he is under the pump so we are watching, for me he could not do anything else other than to say he has my backing he will be here to whenever. That to me was the vote of confidence he also had a very public one in the echo as well if memory serves.

No owner or chairman could have done it differently, f you look at it unbiasedly then surely that is the normal thing. Like i say not pro or anti RM just looking at it evenly.

Ready to be shot down now lol

I get the moaning at RM i really do, and I’m not pro RM but neither am I anti RM, but in the meeting what else could he do but give MM his backing. Do people expect him to say we are looking to replace him, do people expect him to say he is under the pump so we are watching, for me he could not do anything else other than to say he has my backing he will be here to whenever. That to me was the vote of confidence he also had a very public one in the echo as well if memory serves.

No owner or chairman could have done it differently, f you look at it unbiasedly then surely that is the normal thing. Like i say not pro or anti RM just looking at it evenly.

Very much this. We can, as fans, see football as a sport and hope for fair play etc BUT it is a ruthless, no gimme, business.

Tell Hayden to keep it that way until the end of the season, please!

Certainly won’t shoot you down. I wouldn’t expect the chairman to go on a live forum and back his manager if he was going to sack him a few days later. Some sort of vote of confidence quote in a newspaper is expected, not sitting in front of a supporters group and spouting rubbish.
It’s his club, he can do what he wants. He would argue he is doing what he thinks is right to keep the club up. We all want that. My issue is that I can not trust him any more.

I also seem to remember Phil bleating to the Echo for quite a while about money he was owed by Ron when he left the club last time around,

Which probably MM & his entourage will be doing in the future?. As they all signed 3 year contracts, the total amount they are due must be a few 100 thousand?.

Back