• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Molesley In or out. (Poll added)

In or out

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the surface you would say given the appalling run of results, Moseley's days are numbered. But one unanswerable question keeps springing to mind. When he took the job this summer, was he led to believe that he already had the makings of a strike force with Kelman and Humphrys? Or was Ron totally upfront about their very short-term availability?
If MM had all the facts and truly believed he could transform Acquah, Goodship and Egbri into a League 2 forward line that could hold its own, then he deserves to be sacked. Respectfully none of these three should be playing in the Football League and he should have identified that before taking the job.
However if Ron was somewhat selective with what he told MM, then I have every sympathy with the guy. Fact is, we will never know the truth.

On the surface you would say given the appalling run of results, Moseley's days are numbered. But one unanswerable question keeps springing to mind. When he took the job this summer, was he led to believe that he already had the makings of a strike force with Kelman and Humphrys? Or was Ron totally upfront about their very short-term availability?
If MM had all the facts and truly believed he could transform Acquah, Goodship and Egbri into a League 2 forward line that could hold its own, then he deserves to be sacked. Respectfully none of these three should be playing in the Football League and he should have identified that before taking the job.
However if Ron was somewhat selective with what he told MM, then I have every sympathy with the guy. Fact is, we will never know the truth.

Or maybe neither. Maybe he knew SH and CK would leave and even in the very short time he had with the squad before the season started, knew that he needed more options up front, and is trying his hardest to get someone in.

Don't forget, it's not just a case of us wanting someone, it's also a case of:
  • them wanting to come here
  • us agreeing a deal with them
  • us being able to find room in the squad

Last edited:
Honestly, at this point I don’t think it matters if MM stays or goes tbh. The argument for him going is based on the hope that a new man might be able to get more out of this lot.

But this squad is without a doubt the poorest squad we’ve ever had. Not just in terms of ability, but balance too. And that’s saying something when you consider just how bad the previous two seasons have been.

Who from the current crop could actually raise their game under a new man? The majority of them are conference players at best. What fresh tactics or systems could a new manager bring that would suddenly see us passing forward or shooting more?

The only games where we’ve looked like getting something this season were Exeter, Crawley & Oldham. Three games out of eleven doesn’t bode well for whoever is in charge, but being completely honest, I think we were unfortunate in those games, and the two points that we took, could have easily been nine.

We’d have still been in the mire, but it wouldn’t have looked as disastrous as it does right now.

Financially, we could do without the turmoil of sacking yet another management team, and then recruiting a new one... especially considering that we still need to overhaul most of the squad too.

Frankly, I’m at the point where I feel so apathetic towards the club, that I’m not bothered if MM stays or goes anymore. Regardless of who’s in charge, I fully expect the same old problems to continue until such time we can sign some half decent players.
This. Completely fallen out of love with it all

In general I agree with this, but yesterday that wasn't the case. We actually had more shots than Bradford. The issue is the amount of chances that weren't on target. However, that in itself is an improvement on recent matches.

That's true there was few more attempts at goal than normal but most shots were from distance and didn't really look like troubling the goalkeeper. I feel Bradford didn't really need to get out of first gear in the second half.

But who? You can want any name out there but they have to want to take the job! Even someone like Adam Barrett who bleeds blue doesn’t want the job!

I'm not saying there is a specific person.

But Ron either needs to come out and say "Yo, we is going down, ite. So enjoy the ride, bitches"

(I imagine that's what he sounds like)

Or he needs to act now.

The team is about 7 or 8 players short of a half decent side to stay up ... but in all honesty... I don't trust Molesley to make those signings.

The players he has brought in have not made an impact. Our stand out players have been our youth. ??‍♂️

So do we invest money in to Molesley to stay up ? Or do we invest in a new manager ?

My mind says new manager.

The things in MM favour, he has not got the toxic atmosphere that would be around Roots Hall during match play, plus he has a decent contract and no one in their right minds would up sticks and leave unless, they have broken their contract through personal actions

The downside he has the dreaded vote from RM in front of a few Shrimper supporters at the meeting and even worse the FA cup upset v Boreham Wood, I feel we will win and hopefully give the club /players a lift, big time tie for Southend not only for the money and possibility of a big pay day in January, but also for the team

Then again I do feel reading comments, some would like us to lose so they can get back to the MM out campaign or we are bust brigade

Enjoy the team, management whilst you can, because I am sure Bury/Macclesfield would swop even in these dire times

True saying "You never know what you had till you have lost it"

I feel for MM. He‘s ended up with an impossible job, and I’m really not confident than any alternative appointment would get a great deal more out of the side. No matter who is in charge, we’re heading for the non-league, a setting where many point out is where he’s enjoyed success. Getting rid would also cost a Load of £££, just as (it appears) we might be getting on top of the club’s bills.

That said, we still have a huge amount of games to go. That’s a lot of performances like last night’s still to come. And the cumulative effect of defeat after defeat locks in a losing culture as we know all too well.

So what is the way forward? I think keep MM - let him invest in players (short term contracts) in Jan (Assuming all the due diligence etc) - and see if there is an improvement. If not, maybe reconsider and look to recruit a team (managers and players) with a track record of getting out of the conference. Some fans have unrealistically high expectations of our club, but it is inarguable that we’d be a big club at that level, and should be attractive to managers and players.

ultimately though - I’m afraid the current trends are locked in for the forseeable. I love both John White and Alan McCormack, but they alone aren’t going to lift the performances enough. Short of other clubs going out of business, it’s NL next year - so, for once, lets be realistic about that and get ahead of the game in terms of our planning.

I don't buy the it will cost money to get rid of MM and his team ...

It can be kicked down the road for a good while and when the dust has settled and everyone is feeling the financial squeeze "settlements" can be offered.

I don't buy the it will cost money to get rid of MM and his team ...

It can be kicked down the road for a good while and when the dust has settled and everyone is feeling the financial squeeze "settlements" can be offered.

Thus continuing the endless cycle we currently find ourselves in. Surely we need to learn from our mistakes?

RM managed to keep a team in Lge one for 6 months without paying them ..

hanging MM and his team out to dry until they see sense should be no problem - its a nasty horrible world but if you have not got enough dough to go heavy on legal contracts are difficult/impossible to enforce

The things in MM favour, he has not got the toxic atmosphere that would be around Roots Hall during match play, plus he has a decent contract and no one in their right minds would up sticks and leave unless, they have broken their contract through personal actions

The downside he has the dreaded vote from RM in front of a few Shrimper supporters at the meeting and even worse the FA cup upset v Boreham Wood, I feel we will win and hopefully give the club /players a lift, big time tie for Southend not only for the money and possibility of a big pay day in January, but also for the team

Then again I do feel reading comments, some would like us to lose so they can get back to the MM out campaign or we are bust brigade

Enjoy the team, management whilst you can, because I am sure Bury/Macclesfield would swop even in these dire times

True saying "You never know what you had till you have lost it"

i have maximum sympathy for MM and his team ... and if we win on Saturday I will be
visualising FA Cup glory ..

tick tock, Mr Molesley, tick tock. 4 games to turn it around from here.
4 games ??? Where the **** have you got four games from ? He was days away from going before Walsall... we scored one goal that day and since then lost 2 letting in 4 more and again not scoring .... why would you give the **** another four games to deliver absolutely nothing ... I am sick sick sick to the pits of my stomach watching this **** every ****ing week

Will repeat what I said a month ago.

It doesn't matter who is in charge if Ron is still chairman. It won't change a thing. We still won't be able to get players in, we still won't be able to register Hart or Akinola. It will juat be an added coat to the club.

Until Ron ****s off we're doomed

4 games ??? Where the **** have you got four games from ? He was days away from going before Walsall... we scored one goal that day and since then lost 2 letting in 4 more and again not scoring .... why would you give the **** another four games to deliver absolutely nothing ... I am sick sick sick to the pits of my stomach watching this **** every ****ing week
.....he’s got them playing quite well tbf but there is only one man at fault.....Mr. Ron Martin you are a disgrace to the name of Southend Utd and are taking us down, thanks for that.
As for M.M......nice football but 5 reasonable players needed to win games!

Unfortunately for Molesley, I think he’l need to be the sacrificial lamb soon, before the fans turn further against the club.

Surely we need new ideas before the gap to safety becomes too great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back