• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Monday morning 9-00am

Ron has gambled for years on the supporters believing that there is nobody around the corner to save the club if he left.

Maybe there is, maybe there isn't, but we're fast approaching the point where we have little left to lose by finding out.
This is exactly right. At the end of the day if we went bust due to him leaving and we then started a new 'phoenix' club, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Or, we are bought by someone new and then the future looks brighter...

Surely though Ron can resign as chairman but still own everything? He could just appoint someone else to be chairman. Maybe they would run things better?
Think it’s more to do with the clueless manager he has appointed. If we were top of the League this wouldn’t be on here.
He appointed Brown, most were happy cause it wasn’t Molesley, Brown recruited all the wrong types as obviously hadn’t done his homework . Not sure he would know how to use them if we had the best 11 players in the League…..needs to be replaced NOW!

If we take the very understandable emotion out of it I think two things stand true:

1. As has been reflected on many times the chances of Ron going anywhere until the Fossets & RH projects have at the very least full approval (and probably the new stadium is completed) is and remains remote at best. We can "not accept" that as much as we like but the reality won't change.

2. On the other I would think its very likely Ron will be keen to sell at that point. He in his 70s, there is no sign his son is particularly interested, and staying to bask in the love and gratitude of the fans....well he's got a brass neck but he knows that wont happen.

In fact selling the club with a new stadium (whether sold as part of the deal or on a long term rental/lease) represents the best way out and being able to say the future is now positive.

So the challenge is that supporters will be seeing the back of Ron but in a timescale that isn't going to change. What we need is planning to be signed of ASAP (the planners and politicians we have given an extraordinarily easy ride) and of course at some point in the next 12-18 months clarity on who is willing to invest in/buy the club and take it forward.

Protesting in the stadium car park I am sure will make many feel better. Protesting in the council carpark is what will hasten Ron's exit...BTW there is no law against doing both.

If we take the very understandable emotion out of it I think two things stand true:

1. As has been reflected on many times the chances of Ron going anywhere until the Fossets & RH projects have at the very least full approval (and probably the new stadium is completed) is and remains remote at best. We can "not accept" that as much as we like but the reality won't change.

2. On the other I would think its very likely Ron will be keen to sell at that point. He in his 70s, there is no sign his son is particularly interested, and staying to bask in the love and gratitude of the fans....well he's got a brass neck but he know that wont happen.

In fact selling the club with a new stadium (whether sold as part of the deal or on a long term rental/lease) represents the best way out and being able to say the future is now positive.

So the challenge is that supporters will be seeing the back of Ron but in a timescale that isn't going to change. What we need is planning to be signed of ASAP (the planners and politicians we have given an extraordinary easy ride) and of course at some point in the next 12-18 months clarity on who is willing to invest in/buy the club and take it forward.

Protesting in the stadium car park I am sure will make many feel better. Protesting in the council carpark is what will hasten Ron's exit...BTW there is no law against doing both.

I think the Saturday protest (if still going ahead) should start at the civic centre and be well documented in the local press and social media.

Enough is enough.

The council has had us over a barrel for many years and it's time to make our feelings known.

We can then take a protest down to Roots Hall.

2. On the other I would think its very likely Ron will be keen to sell at that point. He in his 70s, there is no sign his son is particularly interested, and staying to bask in the love and gratitude of the fans....well he's got a brass neck but he know that wont happen.

So the challenge is that supporters will be seeing the back of Ron but in a timescale that isn't going to change. What we need is planning to be signed of ASAP (the planners and politicians we have given an extraordinary easy ride) and of course at some point in the next 12-18 months clarity on who is willing to invest in/buy the club and take it forward.

Given the alacrity with which the Seaway scheme was put through, there's something extraordinarily odd about why this is taking so long.

I believe the council should be a legitimate target of any forthcoming action. It might, at least, force their hand into coming out with more information about why this is taking so long.

Could not Agee more, the council are responsible for the amount of time taken to approve FF they are so scared of what there local residents think,and won’t vote for them again, just plain useless , RM is a developer when and if he gets FF approval he will be gone, he is not a builder, he gets planning concepts then sells on. So want ride of RM then protest to the council.

Given the alacrity with which the Seaway scheme was put through, there's something extraordinarily odd about why this is taking so long.

I believe the council should be a legitimate target of any forthcoming action. It might, at least, force their hand into coming out with more information about why this is taking so long.
It's not a surprise. We haven't put enough brown envelopes forward

I don’t even know where we go from here. I have zero faith in Ron turning around our fortunes, but he won’t leave and he won’t sell, so we’ve just got to accept it. It’s clear there’s been no real ambition to progress on the pitch for a long time now. I think Ron was hoping we’d just tread water for a few years but we’ve sunk lower and lower to the point we’re now drowning.

There’s no overnight fix. Personally I think the situation would only improve if Ron sold. Hopefully our reputation would be improved with new owners and a good manager who wants to build a project and improve players.

I worry that under Ron, our reputation is so badly on the floor that even if we’ve got the budget, the better players still won’t come here. I can just imagine agents saying to their players over the summer, “we’ve got interest from 3 or 4 clubs including Southend. We’ll see if we can get a deal but if not we’ll have to speak to Southend”.

Think it’s more to do with the clueless manager he has appointed. If we were top of the League this wouldn’t be on here.
He appointed Brown, most were happy cause it wasn’t Molesley, Brown recruited all the wrong types as obviously hadn’t done his homework . Not sure he would know how to use them if we had the best 11 players in the League…..needs to be replaced NOW!

I agree but who hires the succession of managers that have all failed?

And is it poor managers or is the common issue that any manager has to work with scraps because our reputation is woeful. We only sign cast offs due to the fact that nobody wants to sign or clubs won't send players here.

"Investment - purchase of asset or item with the intention of income or increase in value".

Here's why there will be no buyers.

It's not a surprise. We haven't put enough brown envelopes forward
Never a true word spoken. It does happen still. I personally know a guy that passed over 25k to a planning officer to secure building consent in a motorway services. This was down here in Devon. The brown envelope days are still alive.

I would imagine the last thing Ron would want is for the Club to go into Administration. They would delve far deeper than Ron would be comfortable with.

if the club went into administration it would be easy for a fans led consortium to buy it ..

The situation is pretty simple really. We are all disappointed by a poor start to a season, again, and there are more bullets flying than there are tin hats to go round. I have every faith results will improve and we will reach safety. That's consolidation and as much as many of us hoped for at the beginning of the season.

We will see personnel come and go, which may or may not include the manager, but things will not be as bad as they are this morning.

Ron has the reins. No one is going to wrestle them from his grasp, so just accept it. The SBC need to move things forward and with that our prospects will improve.

Things are dire but not fatal. We will live to fight another day and the club will have some highs in the future.

Protests, boycotts and a vote of no confidence are going to create no positive leverage but will certainly increase the size of the wedge between ourselves and the chairman. I think we need to be a little more patient, even more than we have been, and await the SBC verdict and see what Uncle Ron pulls out of the hat. UTB

The situation is pretty simple really. We are all disappointed by a poor start to a season, again, and there are more bullets flying than there are tin hats to go round. I have every faith results will improve and we will reach safety. That's consolidation and as much as many of us hoped for at the beginning of the season.

We will see personnel come and go, which may or may not include the manager, but things will not be as bad as they are this morning.

Ron has the reins. No one is going to wrestle them from his grasp, so just accept it. The SBC need to move things forward and with that our prospects will improve.

Things are dire but not fatal. We will live to fight another day and the club will have some highs in the future.

Protests, boycotts and a vote of no confidence are going to create no positive leverage but will certainly increase the size of the wedge between ourselves and the chairman. I think we need to be a little more patient, even more than we have been, and await the SBC verdict and see what Uncle Ron pulls out of the hat. UTB
This won't be a popular view I suspect but ultimately is born of reality.

I suspect we will continue to struggle to bring players in given the current environment. If you have a choice who to play for then you're not going to want to consider a club where there are protests and a toxic relationship with a sizeable number of fans? At the moment to sign you really either need "any port in a storm" or a strong pull to the club...unfortunately. Certainly needs strong characters..

if the club went into administration it would be easy for a fans led consortium to buy it ..
I feel that with the level of debt we have , who its owed to , and the lack of any other major assets within some the group companies other than the SUFC debt, Administration may well bring the whole "Empire" down . Any Administration of SEL, RHL Ltd , etc brought about by this could mean that the Roots Hall, FF sites would be sold off to the highest bidder, as the bulk of the loans on behalf of SUFC Ltd , by the group companies , will have been secured against the Land .

Anything the Fans bought would be homeless

People say that the council are dragging their feet over FF.Is this correct?It might be the case that the council have asked Ron for some additional information which he hasn't supplied hence stalemate.I have no idea if this is the case but perhaps the Trust could contact their councillors to find out the issue of the delay.This could be raised at the next zoom meeting

I suspect that is much easier to write in a forum than actually action in real life.

you are correct .... but it is the proven and successful way forward for a number of clubs..

maybe Portsmouth, Wimbledon, Blackpool, Exeter .. I don't know the deets

once the thing is sorted out the fans can sell out to Mr Big Money if they want - like Portsmouth did.

Back