• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
1) In 1910, Southend played against another club in arguably the first time two English sides had met on German soil. Name the other side Oxford City
2) Who was the first Southend player to win an international cap, albeit for England Amateurs?
3) Which current Premiership club aided Southend after WW1 in their resurrection, by waiving a transfer fee they were owed and helping with reconstruction? West Ham
4) Who gave Czechoslovakian hosts an exhibition of rock and roll dancing to break the ice in a post-season tour of the country? Eddie Mitchell
5) What's the link between one Southend manager and Brian Clough? Alvan Williams left Hartlepool for us and was replaced by Clough.
6) Who bid £80,000 for Bill Garner in 1972? West Brom and West Ham
7) Which future England manager was on the shortlist to replace Arthur Rowley in 1976? Graham Taylor
8) Why was Southend's planned summer tour to Scotland cancelled in 1986? Heysel disaster - FIFA decreed Scotland was a foreign country
9) Who were the only two outfield players to have played more in 20 games in the 1990/1 season, not to score? Clark and Scully
10) What club record did Kevin Maher achieve in 2002/3? Most bookings in one season - 14
11) Who scored a penalty with his only touch of the game in a match in 2004/5? Corbett
12) Alan Little spent a total of £140,000 on players - who were they and what did they cost?

Last edited:
No 1 a thumping 10-1 victory over Oxford City

11 is a bit of a guess but it could be Laurie Dudfield ?

I hope 5 is a better link than both managed Derby County (Phil Brown) albeit with dramatically varying levels of success.

12) Little signed Pony Richards for a fee and I'm not 100% sure but I know it was close to £50k.

5) What's the link between one Southend manager and Brian Clough?

If this is a bung question I hope it's a manager already dead like Bobby Moore.

6) Who bid £80,000 for Bill Garner in 1972?

Chelsea?

10) What club record did Kevin Maher achieve in 2002/3?

Most sideway passes

First Southend player to be penalised for dissent by the ref moving the ball back.

11) Who scored a penalty with his only touch of the game in a match in 2004/5?

I reckon either Lawrie Dudfield as sub or Tes in one of his lethargic matches.

Obviously not Dr*we as you said scored.

Bit tentative this one, but cannot think of anything else...

5) Cloughie's long time assistant was called Peter Taylor, who shared the same name as err our ex-manager and player; the other Peter Taylor ?

12) Mark Tinkler was another Little signing. Costing in the region of £40k if memory serves me correctly.
Didn't Gordon Connelly cost as well? About £20k?

12) Mark Tinker was another Little signing. Costing in the region of £40k if memory serves me correctly.
Didn't Gordon Connelly cost as well? About £20k?

I shudder at the thought of us actually paying money for Connelly. I'm pretty sure Nigel Pepper cost us...possibly Neil Tolson as well?

Back