• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Monday's Burning Question - Stag Do's?

How important are Stag Do's?

• Total voters

Einstein

Esch Zhed Eff Schee
Well as some of you may know, our Statski is getting married next month and many of us trundled upto Liverpool on Friday for what turned out to be excellent (booze fuelled) weekend. Obviously, over the course of the weekend, there were hundreds of (drunken) conversations about the weird and wonderful things in life as you would expect.

Now, one of the earliest conversations though was how important actually are stag do's?

I mean, for my mind it's many of your close mates coming together to celebrate your impending marriage for the Stag and all attention should be focussed on him and of course for him to enjoy the limelight.

So, how important is a Stag Party to you?

Now, in my opinion, it's a once in a lifetime event and anyone who is a close mate should attend as long as practically possible. Our very own Chairman Mao & Daisy couldn't attend as they had holidays scheduled for months before. Not really you can do anything about that, as that's just life. However, over the course of the weekend it became clear one SZFC member had chosen SUFC at home to Orient over this once in a lifetime event. Now, I'm asking the ShrimperZone faithful - is this acceptable behaviour?

Hypothetically speaking - you are an usher at one of your closest mates wedding and you are therefore invited to the Stag weekend; which option do you choose?

(Just to note - many of us feel SUFC losing to Orient was justice. As long as SUFC notch another 90 points throughout the season I'll be fairly content with us losing the opening game.)

Last edited:
Footie as Lee did ..you should know this Glen being a Pro footballer yourself ..;) :p

What idiot times a stag do to co-incide with a footie match ? Sounds like this young man is under the thumb well before his time. :p

Next weekend away at Leeds would have been a great opportunity to combine two great loves; beer and counting the number of times Darryl picks the ball out of the net.

Nothing at all stands in the way of me watching a home league match. I believe the last one I missed was due to being in Asia on business (but I'll stand to be corrected).

Incidentally I was best man on Cup final day Coventry vs Spurs. My mate who got married had no interest in footie whatsoever and being a Hertfordshire man was somewhat miffed to find over half the people invited to the wedding "could only make the evening reception" :D

When i got married i made sure it was in July... and in an 'odd' year (2001) so there was never gonna be a danger of clashing with any important football whatsoever

What idiot times a stag do to co-incide with a footie match ? Sounds like this young man is under the thumb well before his time. :p

Next weekend away at Leeds would have been a great opportunity to combine two great loves; beer and counting the number of times Darryl picks the ball out of the net.
Indeed, it wasn't really ideal timing, however next weekend is V festival where most of the group have had tickets for 6 months and the previous weekend was MrB's wedding too. It was the only weekend we could actually do it.

Plus Leeds is more full of chav tw*ts than Liverpool....! :thump:

Indeed, it wasn't really ideal timing, however next weekend is V festival where most of the group have had tickets for 6 months and the previous weekend was MrB's wedding too. It was the only weekend we could actually do it.

Plus Leeds is more full of chav tw*ts than Liverpool....! :thump:

Fair points (especially the last sentence). Though the V festival is hardly enough to cause rumblings in a jockstrap surely ?

Fair points (especially the last sentence). Though the V festival is hardly enough to cause rumblings in a jockstrap surely ?
Well out of the 11 stag members, 6 also have tickets at $140 a piece for V festival too. Then it was also decided stag do & V festival were more important than just a football game, which ultimately IMO it just is.

Over the last few years I've always put football first, and at long last I'm realising that this shouldn't really be the case. Indeed, my 'football first' attitude has meant I've missed only 3 games (2 home, 1 away) in a ridiculous 11 years.

Now, I'll always go unless I can't for some reason or there is something more appetising. However, two years ago, for example, I wouldn't have dreamt of missing an away game for V Festival for example as I am next week.

At long last I've realised that I can miss out by doing football. At the end of the day this weekend's V Festival will be more memorable to me than just another away game.

Not that the away truips aren't great of course!

As for Stag Do's, my mates have a very poor record with birds (non-existance in some cases) so Stag Do's haven't really been an issue!

Stag weekends are great - had one every year with the lads since 2001. Next year no one is due to get married but we are all hitting the big 30 so going to have a weekend away golfing in Portugal to celebrate!

Never have them in the footy season, generally tend to be June and last year for mine coincided with the World Cup so we watched England v Portugal in a bar in Spain but I was gutted as had to give up a corporate offer to actually go to the game!

'Stag' dos are so common place these days that having one cos your getting married is no different to all the other reasons you bundle on a cheap flight to get wasted somwhere else.. Stag dos used to be a one night local **** up anyway and to be truly hard core should happen the night before the wedding, when those guests from afar have arrived ..

Stag do all the way. Play it smart like I did and coincide it with a football match in another country (we went to Sevilla and saw Real Betis lose 5-0 at home to Osasuna :cry: )

We've had stags three years in a row now - Berlin, Tallinn and Sevilla - but none of the lads are lined up for marriage next year (and a load of them are also hitting 30, so exactly like Clarky Blues!), so we'll need to find another excuse. And if it coincides with a Southend game, then so be it.

Back