• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ricky Otto

President⭐
I don't know how many of you have seen this film but it kind of reminded me of what Paul Sturrock has done here, created a team which performs better than the sum of it's parts. It is something Mr Sturrock has done before at other clubs too which makes me wonder if he has some kind of formula like in the afforementioned film? We seem to have a team of affective players, not necessarily the most naturally gifted (there are one or two exceptions). Does Paul look a stats and create a team that is not reliant on a star striker, where goals are spread to a formula? Or perhaps he just has a way he likes to play, players that fit that mould and nothing more? Discuss

Yeah it's on the list to watch. Yeah the book is excellent, very readable. There is a strong focus on the stats (which for me I liked, because I work in that area), but don't let that put you off!

Yea its an excellent idea. I think it applies to Baseball easier than football, but I read an excellent book last year called "Why England Lose" which uses various stats to explain weird events in football. One chapter is devoted to the Moneyball theory and how PSG (I think it was PSG!) applied something very similar in France and has made them the powerhouse of european football that they are.

It went on to explain how a lot of the Moneyball practices can be applied to football and how it would benefit the sport. Very interesting...

Yea its an excellent idea. I think it applies to Baseball easier than football, but I read an excellent book last year called "Why England Lose" which uses various stats to explain weird events in football. One chapter is devoted to the Moneyball theory and how PSG (I think it was PSG!) applied something very similar in France and has made them the powerhouse of european football that they are.

It went on to explain how a lot of the Moneyball practices can be applied to football and how it would benefit the sport. Very interesting...

You might have also noticed that in Why England Lose, Paul Sturrock is highlighted as one of the top managers who defy the trend of wage expenditure directly correlating to team success. Simply put, Sturrock's one of the best managers around for getting the most out of a limited budget.

You might have also noticed that in Why England Lose, Paul Sturrock is highlighted as one of the top managers who defy the trend of wage expenditure directly correlating to team success. Simply put, Sturrock's one of the best managers around for getting the most out of a limited budget.

We haven't had one of the biggest budgets in the division for the last two years then ?

We haven't had one of the biggest budgets in the division for the last two years then ?

I suspect the point is that his teams often outperform teams with bigger budgets but which happen to be in other divisions.

Dont recall that, my memory is shocking! LOL

Sounds interesting! I may have to give it a read

Back