• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
Just checked, the striker he played alongside at Orient when he scored 19 goals, was Kevin Lisbie, who also knocked in 18. Is Lisbie a similar player to Cox?

Just checked, the striker he played alongside at Orient when he scored 19 goals, was Kevin Lisbie, who also knocked in 18. Is Lisbie a similar player to Cox?

Lisbie is without a club at the moment...

Nah.... Lisbie always reminded me of Martin Carruthers ... Run his proverbials off ( to quote PB ) and was very unselfish .
Cox is an altogether different player. Cox - if he stays fit - will get 20 goals for us this season, mostly from well inside the box . But he's exactly what we ve missed - a single minded , almost greedy striker , brilliant at making space for himself and getting his shot on target.
Mooney might benefit from the oppositions defence being preoccupied with Cox's ability and ghost in unnoticed , coz as much as im not a Mooney fan , when he plays a shade deeper he is quite clever at finding space.

With confidence building , we actually could have a real partnership on our hands :winking:

Agree with danburyshrimper on the partnership bit. I've got a feeling these 2 could be a nightmare for defenders if we play the right way and not long ball.

He's 38!!!

I was only joking.

However, iff we wanted a 4th choice striker who'd add something a bit different then we could do worse IMO.

Although if his age and injuries have got to him then he won't be as effective as he was 3/4 years ago and obviously we should stay clear. Has he popped up on trial anywhere this summer? If not I'd guess his career is over.

I believe he was at Bishop Stortford about a fortnight ago, in a coaching role alongside with Michael Duberry.

I was only joking.

However, iff we wanted a 4th choice striker who'd add something a bit different then we could do worse IMO.

Although if his age and injuries have got to him then he won't be as effective as he was 3/4 years ago and obviously we should stay clear. Has he popped up on trial anywhere this summer? If not I'd guess his career is over.

According to wiki he has left Barnet due to injury and his last game was for the O's reserves against us!
TBH I'm a bit fed up with strikers the wrong side of 30. Hasn't been working for us really even though everyone we've signed has been a very good player in the past.

Last edited:
Nah.... Lisbie always reminded me of Martin Carruthers ... Run his proverbials off ( to quote PB ) and was very unselfish .
Cox is an altogether different player. Cox - if he stays fit - will get 20 goals for us this season, mostly from well inside the box . But he's exactly what we ve missed - a single minded , almost greedy striker , brilliant at making space for himself and getting his shot on target.
Mooney might benefit from the oppositions defence being preoccupied with Cox's ability and ghost in unnoticed , coz as much as im not a Mooney fan , when he plays a shade deeper he is quite clever at finding space.

With confidence building , we actually could have a real partnership on our hands :winking:

Wasn't greedy on Saturday when he played the ball in for Mooney to score... in fact, he was pretty unselfish all game, so much so that I was wanting him to just shoot!

Mooney is always going to be better alongside a proper strike partner. At the beginning of last season, he and Hunt looked very good together. Then the inevitable injuries came. Payne and Mooney was never quite the same proposition. I'm really looking forward to Cox and Mooney forming a partnership. You still can't beat a good old fashioned strike partnership.

The really obvious thing, and sadly it needs saying, is that it doesn't matter who we have up front, if we don't provide them with chances they wont score. The end result is they run around looking lost.

A lot of people criticised Mooney last year, but really, how many chances a game did he get? It can't do much for morale or confidence if you never get the ball in the area you need. Same applied to Barnett.

A fit Stephen McLaughlin very much solves that problem.

The really obvious thing, and sadly it needs saying, is that it doesn't matter who we have up front, if we don't provide them with chances they wont score. The end result is they run around looking lost.

A lot of people criticised Mooney last year, but really, how many chances a game did he get? It can't do much for morale or confidence if you never get the ball in the area you need. Same applied to Barnett.

A fit Stephen McLaughlin very much solves that problem.
This definitely for me. We seriously need a playmaker to build the team around.

I thought he played ok-ish last season on the whole, and as said earlier, It was the lack of service he received that was generally frustrating me (that and his ability to be regularly caught off side, but that might be down to his eagerness / frustration to score when he was actually being fed into a goal scoring position).

He definitely has goals in him, and I think some of us are quick to forget he was our 2nd leading goalscorer last season, as well as our joint highest during this pre-season.

I'm quietly confident he will improve and bang in more goals, when he partners with Cox throughout this up coming campaign.

From what I have seen so far from McLaughlin , he should create a stack of opportunities.

His deliveries into the box is top draw.

A fit Wordsworth should solve our creativity problems in midfield ,trouble is will he ever get fit and stay fit :unsure:

Mooney and Cox are both proven at this level, so will score goals if the rest of the team feeds them chances. It's all about how Brown chooses to set up. My concern would be that if we do play a bit more expansively rather than shielding the back 4, our centre halves as individuals may not be strong enough to cope. I accept that Thompson is very much an improving player though so may rise to the occasion.

IMO Mclaughlin is the key to creating opportunities. If only he can stay fit. At the West Ham game he was very good. Wonder if McGlashan can do the same on the other side?

A fit Wordsworth should solve our creativity problems in midfield ,trouble is will he ever get fit and stay fit :unsure:

The guy hasn't been fit his whole career, he isn't going to suddenly change now and play 40 games a season.

Cox and A N OTHER please.
Or Cox and a non diving, 100% hard working, tackling, heading, never give up, play to the whistle, focused, head up, on side,alter ego Mooney.

Back