• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EnzoBlue

GlassHalfFull
Anyone else unimpressed with him - he's a fair run in the side he's hardly posing the threats we need up top.

Anyone else unimpressed with him - he's a fair run in the side he's hardly posing the threats we need up top.

To get the best from him I think he needs Noel Hunt alongside. Something that isn't going to happen on a regular basis based on current evidence.

think he is posing a big threat up front and is a handful for defenders I think it's more that the poor bloke don't score as many goals as he should, he gets in great positions but maybe lacks that quality finish that most of us expect, think the more he plays that goal scoring run is likely to come I hope:smile:

He's a very good player. No striker will score goals in a Phil Brown team. I've said it hundreds of times. We are not set up in a way that benefits the striker. Mooney drops very deep, finds himself out wide a lot. He's almost a false 9 in the current system.

I might agree with you if we were creating chances for him, but we're not.

While we're winning games and in the top half of the league I couldn't give a fig who is scoring the goals, as long as the team is working.

Mooney IMO is often not at the races,formation clearly doesn't suit his style of play...Hunt IMO is a terrible signing..an injury waiting to happen.

He's a very good player. No striker will score goals in a Phil Brown team. I've said it hundreds of times. We are not set up in a way that benefits the striker. Mooney drops very deep, finds himself out wide a lot. He's almost a false 9 in the current system.

I might agree with you if we were creating chances for him, but we're not.

While we're winning games and in the top half of the league I couldn't give a fig who is scoring the goals, as long as the team is working.

No point in wasting money on an expensive striker then.

Is this the Mooney we saw setting up the first and scoring the second at Oldham.

I would like to see Pig have a run of games with Jack.
Mooney works much harder than he did at the start of the season but he is not a No.9 centre forward, he is too rarely in the box when crosses are coming in and he seems a tad shy of heading the ball or physical stuff.
He is better than he was but he drifts offside too much and doesn't get back quickly enough on occasions.
He has a good shot and he ought to take a pop more often.

Hunt is a different class, but agree that that's no good on the treatment table.

Mooney is incredibly good in terms of positioning, but lacks a bit in finishing. At least he gets himself into the right places.

You need a good player up there - it's a critical role to how the team plays - just don't expect 20 goals a season.

I don't. With at least 15 clubs paying higher wages than us in this division we will never have the best strikers. What I do like is the attitude and commitment shown by our players and coaching staff including PB, who is proving to be our best asset.

What other team in this division would do so well with such a high profile injury list. Mooney has had to do a job which he was never signed for. People were happy to give him the lowest marks on Saturday and as per usual the zone sheep come out to graze. The other players are all in there best position. I know you can say but Mooney is still a forward. But ask yourself this....how would Ben Coker look if he was playing at CB.

I don't want to slag off players its never my style but to defend Mooney I would have to say its Pigott who has been very poor since his October goal patch. He has stated that he doesn't like being a target man and he really has showed why.

I watched a DVD of the Bristol Rovers match and when Pigott came on the first seven times he touched the ball he lost possession. On the eighth time he put that shot wide of the left hand post in late added time. Yet every one jumped on the PB sat back and we clung on to another 1-0 band wagon. Well how do you ease the pressure or score a second goal with those stats above.

Edit: it was the same at Sheffield.

I like Mooney. He is experienced, clever , works very hard and can get into good positions to create. He was brought in as a striker. Not too expensive. The other side of the coin is he does tend to take up wide positions and end up crossing the ball rather than be on the end of crosses where many think a centre forward should be. Some more expert than me and ex pros also comment that he often plays better behind a striker. Despite his very commendable effort for the side he does not possess the key ingredient of pace to get behind defence., whether this be to run onto a ball over the top ( sometimes a key and critical tactical ) or to run through onto balls played between the gaps. Not that we are supremely able in that department either.

I think Mooney is very good. I dont think we play to his strengths. I would definitely like to see him swap places with Payne. Mooney could do a very good number 10 job and Payne has a bit more pace to benefit from it. Also with Payne buzzing around the defenders ankles, like flies on a dag, I would like to see him in the box far more. He can turn to score and a lot of defenders will either under-commit so as not to concede a penalty or over-commit and Bob's your uncle flange dooey dooey.

Not particularly impressed with him, but not losing sleep over it as I'm quite impressed with the team overall.
I was impressed with Corr, but many people weren't. Mooney is his replacement and has fared largely the same, although he's not the same type of player. I agree with those who say our team set up doesn't lend itself to any striker bagging 20 goals unless that striker is Collymore or someone. I agree with those who say good strikers are hard to come by and cost a mint - if any striker in league 1 could get you 20 goals a season GUARANTEED, he'd be a striker in the Championship at the next transfer window.

Mooney cant be any good because so far this season he has only scored 4 goals where as this time last season the prolific crowd favourite Barry Corr had scored.....4 goals.

Back