• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sufc.2008

First XI
So, today as Mooney was coming on the pitch - there was a real hostile atmosphere aimed towards him. We wonder why players don't perform... I think this could be a blatantly obvious reason.

Feel free to slag individual players off on SZ where they can't necessarily see it, but don't attack the man before he's even stepped foot on the pitch... ridiculous!

For what it's worth I'm not a Mooney fan by any stretch, but I thought he looked our best player when he came on - actually put some effort in unlike the other 10 players on the pitch!

You really should know better, if your face don't fit at our club, or many clubs, you won't get a chance from fickle fans, no matter how good you are.

Giving players stick before they have even got on the pitch is totally unacceptable IMO

Its worse than that, someone in the East was shouting comments to Anton Ferdinand who was sitting with his family in the Directors box.

Couldn't hear it all properly but it was things like "Bet you not impressed Anton". Well your right he was not impressed at all.

Is it any wonder some family members don't come to RH. If the dressing room is lost it won't be just PB to blame.

There isn't anything good about slagging our players off before, during, or after the games, doesn't help at all.
I am not a fan of Mr Mooney, he has had a long time to show his worth and largely been poor, indifferent & half hearted.
When PB subbed him after 30 minutes last season that shocked him & for a few games we got better commitment.
Being dropped may produce the same BUT it is up to the player to win the crowd over with proper challenges, work rate, braveness, and take on a few shots; all would help Mr Mooney and the team.
I will comment on what players do, or don't do, good and poor, as I see it not who they are.
As a team we weren't good for the last 5/6 games with Mooney partnering Cox, we weren't good with Jack Bridge trying to support him either. Young Williams didn't look the part in his 20 minutes today.
It isn't the first time it has been written but the problems in our team winning games start much deeper than the forwards line up.

I'm still on holiday so missed today .. But yes, this booing of our players is a disgrace. It makes me embarrassed to be tarred with the same brush as these idiots ! I would rather a roots hall with 3,000 supporters than 5/6k but made up of boo boys ! I'm not saying whether I'm a Mooney "fan"'or not , because that's not the issue. If people rate someone fine, if they don't, also fine, but to boo someone or should obscenities has no place in a football ground for me. Mooney gives 100% when he plays , he doesn't shy away , he runs and works, so why the booing ? Ability is opinion ..

Our job is to support , I've booed at the end of games , that I feel is the right time to express your feelings , during the game our job is to try and pick these players up ...

I don't get it. Disgraceful

You really have to wonder in astonishment as just how low some of our "so called fans" are when we boo our 2nd highest goal scorer from last season before he even comes on the pitch & kicks a ball.
I'm not saying he's Ronaldo or Messi by any standards, but take away Cox and the injured Ranger, who do we have to rely on up front? Williams or young Bridge out of position...That's it!

Our squad it to small, and if you were in Phil's shoe's and decided to make an attacking change, your left with practically no other options then those 2 players of Mooney & Williams.

Anyway, my point being, no wonder we seem to play better away!! It says something when our players get a warmer atmosphere from the opposing team at their ground, then they do at Roots Hall.

These guys get paid bloody good money for a job we would all give a our left bollock to be good enough to do , whilst I accept booing will never help I think it's to the point where the fans will not accept players who clearly don't give a hoot. As long as paydays are still coming that's all they care about , i think most people have been more than supportive of players and manager alike but now people are starting to see this for what this really is . Unacceptable.

These guys get paid bloody good money for a job we would all give a our left bollock to be good enough to do , whilst I accept booing will never help I think it's to the point where the fans will not accept players who clearly don't give a hoot. As long as paydays are still coming that's all they care about , i think most people have been more than supportive of players and manager alike but now people are starting to see this for what this really is . Unacceptable.

This thread is about Mooney (not the club in general). I think you have just answered your own question.

Obviously I have no idea what you do for a living, but that's just say you work in a restaurant for an example, do you think each time you arrive to work & your customers give you verbal abuse on your arrival before you have even started work, would that increase your work performance? or decrease it?

This can be applied to anyone from the military services, emergency services, a nurse or an office worker. If your told your **** before you start, your hardly gonna believe in yourself that you can succeed.

We both know if either me or you was in a restaurant messing up people's orders we would be out of a job within a week , enough babysitting mooney he's had a fair shot at the whip and he's not good enough , not even anywhere near. I think it's now at a stage where fans including me are now venting their anger for all to see , whilst I never agree booing is the way to go about change , what else are fans who spend 25 quid to watch that shower of **** meant to do . Go oh thanks guys same again next week .

I'm still on holiday so missed today .. But yes, this booing of our players is a disgrace. It makes me embarrassed to be tarred with the same brush as these idiots ! I would rather a roots hall with 3,000 supporters than 5/6k but made up of boo boys ! I'm not saying whether I'm a Mooney "fan"'or not , because that's not the issue. If people rate someone fine, if they don't, also fine, but to boo someone or should obscenities has no place in a football ground for me. Mooney gives 100% when he plays , he doesn't shy away , he runs and works, so why the booing ? Ability is opinion ..

Our job is to support , I've booed at the end of games , that I feel is the right time to express your feelings , during the game our job is to try and pick these players up ...

You have answered your own point, he does NOT give 100% very often. Too often he quits on a chase, he fails to close down, he turns his back on the ball, he ducks headers, he simulates "fouls", he remains too long and slow to get away from being off side, he won't take on a shot.
And on occasions he can turn it on, all too rare AND those (above) are the reasons he is not loved and adored.

And he doesn't score GOALS.

Its worse than that, someone in the East was shouting comments to Anton Ferdinand who was sitting with his family in the Directors box.

Couldn't hear it all properly but it was things like "Bet you not impressed Anton". Well your right he was not impressed at all.

Is it any wonder some family members don't come to RH. If the dressing room is lost it won't be just PB to blame.
Oh my god the hostility down the hall 'bet you not impressed' probably one of the worst things I've ever heard down there. Will think again about taking my kids if the fans carry on with this.

I'd rather a a crowd of 3k too atleast it would mean Brown would get chopped sharpish but fans have the right to make their feelings known when 4 weeks ago in the paper Brown saying we want to be a championship club. Surely he can see the squad is not good enough so don't say things like that.

This thread is about Mooney (not the club in general).

This can be applied to anyone from the military services, emergency services, a nurse or an office worker. If your told your **** before you start, you have got to believe in yourself and your team so that you can succeed.

I have changed your lines, sorry but quiting and wilting with a few boos is not good enough. Any team in a tough place will know who is the weak link and shift them out from the place where they are a danger/risk to those around them to a back room role: is this the suggestion with Mooney?

You have answered your own point, he does NOT give 100% very often. Too often he quits on a chase, he fails to close down, he turns his back on the ball, he ducks headers, he simulates "fouls", he remains too long and slow to get away from being off side, he won't take on a shot.
And on occasions he can turn it on, all too rare AND those (above) are the reasons he is not loved and adored.

And he doesn't score GOALS.

Well done you ... Carry on booing ! Very lucky to have people like you in the ground. We all have our own opinions , my opinion remains the same , BOOING Southend players during games is disgraceful ! I've felt the same since I was an 8 year old on the terraces back in 1986 to date and I've seen some manure down at the hall. But I'm a supporter , so I support. Each to their own though eh .

Utb's

I'm not a mooney fan either but he works hard for the team and did more in his short spell on the pitch than some did in 90 mins.

The player has 2 choices IMO; give 110% and silence the abusers, or, accept the tirade of crap thrown at him, lose heart and will ....await a transfer.

We're paying him (and the club) good money...we expect ALL players to give their all for the shirt..if they keep their side of the bargain the least we can do is back them heart and soul. :thumbsup:

Oh my god the hostility down the hall 'bet you not impressed' probably one of the worst things I've ever heard down there. Will think again about taking my kids if the fans carry on with this.

I was talking about the families of the players and staff who don't attend. Besides I know plenty of people who gave up a season ticket because of the " I've paid my money I'm entitled too" brigade. Guess what so have we and we are entitled to call you exactly what you are, utter ignorant .....

I have changed your lines, sorry but quiting and wilting with a few boos is not good enough. Any team in a tough place will know who is the weak link and shift them out from the place where they are a danger/risk to those around them to a back room role: is this the suggestion with Mooney?

No mate. but it certainly doesn't help the cause. "Success breeds success". If you want to get the best out of our your team, you will push them beyond their comfort barrier in a positive way, not tell them they doomed for failure before they have even tried.

I sort of take your point, but Mooney isn't "the weak link". I'm not saying I'm happy with him in the team, but he is one of several weak links in the team. Singling him out over almost any of the others smacks of victimisation.

I am really not a Mooney fan, but he achieved much more in half an hour yesterday than Jack Bridge did before....should we all have been booing Bridge too?

Back